Weights for electric kontiki

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weights for electric kontiki
    Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 2:17pm
Mark H View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all

I have recently purchased a Seahorse electric kontiki, which the kids and I are using on the Coast beach in Wellington (between Turakerei Head and Baring Head) and at Eastbourne (launching into the middle of Wellington Harbour). I'm typically going about 1200-1500 metres out from the shore.

It's early days, but I have only had modest success with the kontiki (3 biggish Gurnard, 2 Blue Cod and 2 big kahawai in about 7 sets).

I have been putting one 8 oz weight on either end of the mainline. I am interested in more experienced peoples' views on the weights that I should be using. Obviously the weights that I use will depend on the currents and the depth of water, but in general, is it better to get the hooks as close as possible to the bottom?

If so, is it possible that that the weights I'm using are too light (i.e. the weights aren't getting the line close enough to the bottom), and that the bottom feeding fish aren't getting exposed to the hooks?

I 'm not sure how deep it is about 1200-1900 metres off the Coast Beach, but Im guessing it's pretty deep! Should I be using heavier weights to get the hooks further down?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mark. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 3:47pm
wnw View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I dont know what the currents or depth are like down your way but we have only ever used the weights that came with ours (presume they are 8oz). We put one at each end and one in the middle. We are fishing off Waipu and other than this season (seems to be only stingrays out there this year) we have done very well indeed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OTK Lure fishing NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 5:06pm
OTK Lure fishing NZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mark, welcome to the forum!

I fish with a kite dropper rig and I suppose they are a little different in the way they work.   I fish on the west coast of Auckland (Muriwai), Kaipara Harbour, Ninety mile beach etc where the current can be pretty strong.

I initially used the sinkers that came with it and they were CR#P!!  I had the line tangle up real bad numerous times.  When I purchased the kite the guys in the shop encouraged me to watch the Pauls Kite Fishing VIDEO beofre making the purchase which had real life situations setting the longline and retrieving types of catch etc.

They immediately said use 16 - 20oz sinkers if fishing on the west coast or in strong currents, I initially tried tying a few 6oz sinkers together and still had problems until I purchased the big ones and then never had a problem since.  So depending on your situation with current I am sure you can run a heavier sinker to ensure your line stays on the bottom.

If the sinkers are too light you could potentially be pulling the whole line off the ground, I am not sure how much lb's tow the torpedo has but not enough weight would be no good I would assume.  Try the guys at Pauls kite fishing, they speciallise in all kinds of long lines and have a very good reputation. 

The website also has hot spots for kite fishing in NZ, so you may need to get in the right spot.  It also took me atleast a year or so to finally dial into the spots to fish, the times to fish, and what are the best weather conditions so it may take a while if you are a first time owner too.

It may also be your bait presentation, maybe try some Soft plastics on the hooks because you basically troll these long line for 3km's so if it doesn't go past a fish in that distance then you need to move.

Good luck and keep us posted!Thumbs%20Up

The Fish
Think like the fish, breath like the fish. I AM THE FISH!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Husky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009 at 1:03pm
Husky View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Welome Mark, regarding depths or not knowing what depths are off shore, do a search on here for the Seaclear Charts, you can get a disc off a helpfull guy on here "Busted". which are the LINZ charts converted.
With these charts you will be able to sit at home and study spots, depths etc.
I see Kentiki kontiki uses 500gm weights...depends on current I guess.

I have improved my longline performance no end by putting floats on the traces, keeps the baits off the bottom, stops the bl...dy star fish and crabs from getting in on the act. 

The Sun warms the earth, not your SUV.