Advice for those starting out

Page  <1 124125126
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 12:01pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hahaha – gold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SilverWaka. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 9:31pm
SilverWaka. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey, I'm really keen to start spearfishing this spring/summer, I got myself a wild blue package with everything I need.Iv tried to get a mate to get some gear too so I have someone to dive with, but none are too keen. Just wondering if there is any clubs I could join or guided charters that would b good for a newb like me? Iv freedived many times for scallops ect so I'm a fairly confident snorkler. Ma b I could tag a long with someone for a shore dive. I'm 29 and based in torbay. Any advise would b much appreciated
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Will I Am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 4:42pm
Will I Am View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

facebook has a number of groups that having regular trainings and dive trips bro - have a search there and welcome to the addiction
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers." - Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fat seal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 12:10am
Fat seal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hay bro im in the same position .
iv just got most the gear but beed some one to go with as well im based in browns bay.
let me know if you keen.
im doing some corse with a guy from wettie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buddyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 11:12am
Buddyboy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, i am a verry new to diving and habe only really done 10 dives and shot one fish, but im struggling to find reliable spots to dive near to whakatane, was wondering if there woild be any advice available to me ?or maybe a diver willing to show me some general areas or even take me to a couple spots and teach me some things ? Any and all help is appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 4:18am
spearomaniac View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Best advice i can think of is SAFETY FIRST. That means - dive with a buddy, research your spots and  chose the proper equipment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kolohe370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:49pm
kolohe370 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by spearomaniac spearomaniac wrote:

Best advice i can think of is SAFETY FIRST. That means - dive with a buddy, research your spots and  chose the proper equipment.

Absolutely, plus -- take a freediving course. Either in person or online (Adam Stern has a few online courses now). 

If you can't dive due to viz, you can also hit up the pool if you have one where you can rent a lane to get more confident and proficient diving. It'll make you calmer and more relaxed when you go spear as you've gone through the motion repeatedly. 
Page  <1 124125126