Mangawhai Estuary

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mangawhai Estuary
    Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 5:38pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well not really an exciting report, but thought id put one up anyway seeing as I just got back from my holiday up in Mangawhai.

Last week my girlfriend and I took out the tinny and went into the estuary, to a spot further down the estuary away from the tonnes of jetski's and boats towing biscuits.
Got told of a certain place that holds some fish so we just took out the smelly pillies and squid and chucked a line in, whilst the tide was very very lowLOL

Found the deepest area I could find, in about 5ft of waterEmbarrassed However there was a lot of current, even with big sinkers on, so I remembered the saying "if theres current theres fish" and dropped the anchor.
Within seconds I had a small Kahawai for the smoker, as I thought it could be the only thing close to a feed we would catch.

They went off the bite for a while, so we moved around a bit, trying different areas looking for this certain spot I was told of, all while another 12fter came past asking for the exact same spot...and after saying I had no clue where it was, we just anchored again in the deepest patch of water I could findLOL
However we must have found the spot, as my girlfriends new reel screamed off at 100 miles an hour...my first thought was "Ray", until I saw a very big Kahawai jump out of the water some yards away...We then played it for a little while and finally, after untangling it from the anchor rope, we got it in the boat. We were going to take photos but had mucky hands, but it was the biggest, fattest Kahawai I have ever seen. Actually thought it was a rat kingi when I saw it at first.

We continued to fish, using all of our bait...also catching mammoth Korehu too! And one small trev.

Definately a good little spot...just love the thrill of getting decent sized fish in next to no water!! However hopefully I will be hooking into some redder coloured fish in the muddy tomorrow morning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 6:50am
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

had some good times fishing out of my 12 footer too
cheers for your report, sounds like a lot of fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 6:59am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one, Gunard - shallows can give you some surprises!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2009 at 12:05pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

got any pics?.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2009 at 2:17pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep have fished that estuary a few times (boss has a batch right beside it) great place even off the sides theres some decent snapper that go up there also and HEAPS OF STINGRAYS
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 4:42pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

any advice of fishing in the mouth of the estuary I’m going up this weekend Hoping to catch some mullet, small kahawai and maybe snapper trevally kingfish etc  I’m not bringing my boat with me so any advice would have to be landbased any advice would be greatly appreciated 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 6:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The rocks on the other side of the estuary are quite popular but I've never fished there from the shore, only from a boat. If you do fish from the rocky headland, make sure the swell is down
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 4:41pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

ok thanks for the advice also is there good floundering in there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 5:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Not sure but if there are crabs and shrimps there will be flounder. Chose a calm night on an incoming tide - 3 hours or so before high.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street