Smoked mussels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoked mussels
    Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 3:33pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

First attempt at smoking something in the new Bradley was a complete stuff up. To much heat, left in two long, and dropped a tray taking them out.

On Saturday is was the daughters 16th, attempt number 2

This time, I kept the heat at 50dc, added the flavour when I put them in. smoked for 80 minutes using cheery wood.

Result was perfect. 4 trays of mussels were eaten in under 5 minutes by the guests.

Nice Clap

Sorry no pictures to torture you with this time.

Next thing I am hanging out to try is the jerky
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GAMFSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 8:04pm
GAMFSH View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Graeme, nice Thumbs%20Up next time if you use extra heat they will take max 30 mins, either way great stuff, i know kezza has a great jerky recipe and has had alot of success with jerky, might pay to twist his armWink for that one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 8:14pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great to hear the good and not so good BP. Hmmm, looks like something new to tryThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davethefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 9:41am
davethefisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

one for you lot to try for mussels is one I use in my little old stainless meth smoker, mix sweet shilli, little brown sugar, dill seed, cracked pepper, and a little soy in a bowl with a tablespoon of water or white wine to thin. open mussels and leave in the half shell, pour mixture over and marinate in the fridge for 2 hours. chuck em in smoker and hit with good ole fashioned manuka smoke. try it, I would almost garuntee my soul you wont find better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 9:55am
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am up for that Dave. Sounds like a beaut recipe - the bonus being I don't need to have a Bradley Smoker to try this recipe!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davethefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 10:07am
Platinum
Platinum

funnily enough doubie, you may want to try that one with rock oysters too. I did and bugger me they were good!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 10:12am
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Allright Dave, I am hooked already on the idea of musselsLOL Lets not get too carried away otherwise I might develop an unhealthy addiction for these things.

Gotta go get me some mussels now and try them outThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davethefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 10:12am
Platinum
Platinum

go for it doubie, but please let me know what ya think!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 10:46am
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For sure DaveWink

Once I get organised will definitely let you know how the taste test goes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 2:11pm
Standard Deluxe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I do them in my little stainless tin smoker too.  Boil them up until the just open and shuck them into a big bowl saving half the shells.  I add chopped garlic, ginger, dry chillis, a dash of vinegar and a good glug of oil and leave to sit for a few hours in the fridge.
Set up the smoker (I use Cherry or Pohutikawa shavings) and put one mussel into each half shell.  Smoke with a 3/4 full single bowl of fuel under the smoker which burns for about 10 minutes and leave to sit for another 10.
Only half make it from the smoker to the serving platter so make sure you have more than you need and never ask the missus to help with the serving part or only 1/3rd will make it to the table :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 3:45pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That sounds pretty appetising too Juicy Fruit Thumbs%20Up
I am pretty safe as the kids don't like mussels and the Missus won't eat anything smoked - this weekend could be the goer as I should have a few spare hours. Will try both yours and Dave's recipes and treat myselfBig%20smile

Here is the dumb question - where do I get cherry or pohutukawa sawdust/shavings from easilyErmm. Nothing wrong with manuka in my opinion, but a change of flavour is not a bad option as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 9:33am
Standard Deluxe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I buy mine from a wood turner at Ohope market near Whakatane whenever I am down there $10 for a huge bag of it.  I'd try and track down a local wood turner or if you pm me I will try and grab you some next time I am home.  I will grab his phone number too and post it on the forum, probably easier.
The cherry is really nice with shell fish and red meat fish like salmon or trout.
I usually us Pohutikawa for everything else, the taste is outstanding.  My mate just gave me a big box of walnut shavings, not tried that yet though, I am presuming its a hardwood...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 9:44am
Bull View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah smoked up some mussels with some kingie in the bradley last night... cooked the mussels in there for 1 1/2 hours... result was too smokey. 2 reasons, toooooo long and I used the adder which is a stronger wood flavor. Still very edible. Kingie however is fantastic. Salt and brown sugar for a night then glaze was brown sugar, maple syrup and whisky. 4 hours in the bradley with 1 hour at 71 to dry and 3 hours at 60 -65 with smoke. Superb. GAMFISH think I do want one of those cold smoker attachments though!!
http://www.squidfish.net/

�.��.���'�.�����'�.��.���'�.� ><((((�>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 10:04am
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Juicy Fruit - will try that idea out and if no luck will drop you a PM. Thanks for the offer it is much appreciated and may just take you up on it yetWink.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GAMFSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 10:46pm
GAMFSH View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Doubie Doubie wrote:

I am up for that Dave. Sounds like a beaut recipe - the bonus being I don't need to have a Bradley Smoker to try this recipe!LOL

Muppet class again is it LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GAMFSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 10:48pm
GAMFSH View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bull next time you do mussels 30-40 mins max, like any smoker, they don't need alot of smoke flavour, glad to here the kingie came out greatThumbs%20Up