Kingfish on Softbait Rods

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 5:37pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by whyknot whyknot wrote:

we just landed our first kingie just legal in the tauranga habour man what a fight on the light gear!!!! plus 10 kawhai

Well done whyknot, reckon I heard the whoops & hollers from here
Thumbs%20Up.

( any probs with sea lettuce?)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whyknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 9:51pm
whyknot View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yeah there was a bit but nothing to worry about. we were in about 3m of water when it hit. earlier on we were out 700m off rabbit in 12m and i landed my first kingie on SP pity it was 660m but man what a fight! Also i started fishing with softies three days ago and we have bewen fishing three times and ive got 8 big kawhai, 1 kingie! BTW what the hell is wrong with you idiots that drive straight through workups while people are trying to catch the fish in them? Also the dumbasses on their jetskis going full pace through the middle of the boats who are fishing stay in the ski lanes morons)@#@*&$!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 11:37pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

jet ski'ers in the tga harbour dont have any laws to abide by didn't you know that.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nsane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2009 at 6:21pm
Nsane View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have landed a couple of kingies using my sol 2500 with 8lb braid.  The biggest so far is 12kg.  It was fun on the 10 minutes but after than it was all hardwork.  Took me 20-30 minutes to land the fish but it was all worth it.   You need somebody at the helm to reverse the boat if need be.  I have also landed one using my Abu Inshore..
Kingies on SP set-up = FUN/TEARS
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 6:38am
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have landed a few legal kings  to around 12kg(what they call rats at white island) on my normal SP gear. 1.8 kg braid, 40lb supple trace setup exactley how I would for snapper
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gemini ikema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 9:04pm
gemini ikema View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i went out with Carl on epic late December and watched a girl from Wellington land a kingfish approx. 18kg-20kg on 10kg braid while tarketing snapper..... everything was bent and taught..... impressive testament to the rod, reel and her technique.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 7:29am
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeehaa are have a "jigging, poppering and lucanus" evening next Wednesday with a focus on catching kingies in the local Auckland area and which will surely include catching kingies on sp rods. Apparently a Bradley will be fired up for heavy smoking session so should be a good evening. They have a Shimano dude and Kerry from the ITM Fishing Show. These guys really know there stuff so if you are serious you should give them a call.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 3:58pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i mite have to go along to this what time?????
hay kezz u gona do some of those mussle's all most tempted to buy one just for those
LOL
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2009 at 1:13am
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've landed plenty of rats up to 13kg on 4kg SP set-up and a 5ft thresher this week. You just need to be patient... so long as there's not too much foul around and you can let the fish drag you and the boat about a bit, then it's pretty easy. Remember on light gear you can always apply a little more drag with a bit of finger pressure if the run is getting too dangerous!

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2009 at 12:34pm
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by green guy green guy wrote:

i mite have to go along to this what time?????
hay kezz u gona do some of those mussle's all most tempted to buy one just for those
LOL

6.30 Wednesday night by Panmure roundabout
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike250sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:29pm
Mike250sx View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I just successfully caught this kingfish on my soft bait rod 15 pound braid 20 pound Fluorocarbon leader took me near an hour over sandy bottom 17kg kingfish    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:32am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Targeting Kings on lite gear is great fun BUT needs to be done where / when you have a chance of landing them.
IE. Myself and a good mate were micro jigging for snapper in a large school of bait as we drifted off the school we both hooked up to kings.
We were no where near structure just sandy bottom so we were able to take our time but even then we both had moments where we could have lost the fish.
Trying to do this around structure would have definitely resulted in us being bust off and worse the fish towing our lures and line around.
Pick your time and location, take your time and it's definitely doable and heaps of fun 👍
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:50am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

had the absolute pleasure of catching a couple of nice kingies this summer on light soft bait gear. 2500 reel/10lb braid/15lb fluorocarbon. it was a pleasure because they were hooked on the surface in 40 metres of water above sand. personally, i wouldn't try this around the rocks.

Page  <12