Kahawai Recipes

Page  <12
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 3:52pm
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I bleed and treat my KY the same way 2-Extreme, tried that 'marinading method' of leaving one in the water the other day when I had a few iked, bled and iced in the slurry already, just incase it defied logic and there was something to it, what a waste of a fish, the fillets looked and tasted so much worse when compared to the bled and iced fish definately not wasting another KY that way. Theres a reason the japs do it the same way for tuna.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ritual Groove Meister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 11:47am
Ritual Groove Meister View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Try reaching in with your fingers and simply snapping one gill plate on each side. Kahawai slowly bleeds to death and gives clean white flesh. However, it is not the most humane way to kill a fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brooook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 5:51pm
Brooook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by swanie swanie wrote:

Try deep frying in a nice beer batter, has to be within 24hrs of swimming though, my kids grumble if I come home with a bin of snapper and no kahawai. Not that I have seen a bin of snapper since moving down to tauranga, had to slink into the fish shop and buy some tarakihi last week, first time I have bought fish for 10 years. A sad day indeed. 
Thankyou! Hubby caught the biggest gurnard ever and he insists on having it in beer batter for tea tonight, but we need something more, so I wondered about cooking a couple of kahawai fillets also caught today. Beer batter it is!!! He even sacrificed one of his bottles of beer for the batter.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.............Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 3:02pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by 2-EXTREME 2-EXTREME wrote:

My 3 favourite methods of preparing kahawai are as follows:

Cajun

If you like something a little spicing then kahawai cooked this way is mouth-wateringly delightful.

I use Masterfoods Cajun seasoning, but any will be fine as long as it has some coarseness to it rather than a fine powder.

Once you have filleted the kahawai coat liberally with the Cajun seasoning on both sides of the fillet and let sit for 5 mins prior to placing into a hot pan with a combination of your favourite oil and butter. Ensure your non-stick pan has a good coating of oil and at least a generous tablespoon or more of butter.

Cooking time here is critical as you can very quickly dry out the fish turning a great meal into a good one.

I cook mine (depending on fillet thickness) about 45 secs to 1min on each side. The Cajun should go quite dark but certainly not burn.

I would serve this up with a salad and accompany the fish with Unsweetened Plain Yoghurt as sauce, which compliments the Cajun seasoning well. Or alteratively place the hot kahawai between two slices of fresh buttered white bread.........

Anyway that’s my bit on what I do with Kahawai. Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Mark

Tried this last night, damn that was good!Clap
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrs_took Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 9:14am
mrs_took View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I know this is an old thread now but I'm hoping people are still lurking around. I was given a kahawai yesterday and as I already had a leg of goat marinating for dinner, and I had no idea what to do with kahwai, we stuck it in the freezer to think about another day.

The fish was bleed and stored in an ice slushy after catching. I'm really just after some reassurance that at a later date I can grab it out of the freezer, defrost it overnight then create the cajun dish or a nice thai curry without it tasting blahh.

Thoughts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 10:57am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should be fine. Sounds like it was treated correctly at capture so can't see an issue
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swish2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 9:14pm
swish2fish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have just come back from a mish off Ponui today with 6 kahawai aboard and will be trying them out on my recently won Bradley propane smoker.

Being a fussy bugger, I've filleted all of them and laid them out in a large baking dish liberally coated in coarse rock salt and brown sugar.
I'll let them cure for a day and a bit and as advised by other on here, give them a coating of maple syrup, and then into the smoker.

No idea how long to smoke them, does anybody else have a Bradley Propane that can advise me and any other pointers I need to be aware of?

Max
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:00pm
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

60 to 90 minutes at 250 degrees Farenheit   (120 degrees C)  or less.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 11:38pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mrs Took, agree with bushpig, but a couple of points
1. did it freeze quickly, i.e is it a good freezer thats not overloaded. If it took an age to freeze it will come out very sad.
2. Dont leave it too long in the freezer, it does deteriorate slowly. Ideally eat within a couple of months, anything more than 6 & its bait.
Page  <12