Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 848849850
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 3:43pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It was a good fishy day down at the local, there were boil ups aplenty and big bait balls showing up on the sounder, with trevs and macs helping them along, and a few good sized arches trailing them. My Kahawai had a handful of 10cm anchovies in its gut.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 6:31pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

awesome mate on the big trev, bloody good eating they are
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 7:31pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey HY! With the flea, are you casting ahead and retrieving or just straight drop and jig ?
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 8:04pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Banana boat, Trevs sure do make nice sashimi, the big fella pulled a lot of string on the light gear, I felt lucky to get it in the yak. 
As for the Flea Mr Miyagi, I just drop it straight down and use the action of the reel to keep things lively, quarter turns, half winds, that sort of thing, rinse and repeat. 
When  good fish are passing through and they are hungry, like they were today, my basic tools and technique seem to work:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 9:18pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great Trev HY. đź‘Ť
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 9:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was very nice fishing off bays this morning, saw Dave/HY coming after I came out, Was minto, my brother and I ( fishing nearby caught some nice fish. There was big workup in close near end of our fishing, more Murray’s and Mairangi, but in close. Probably just smaller snaps as that what I got dropping jigs in them. Whereas did best on flood damaged tiger prawns for my best  42cm snapper out wider.
Some pretty big yellowtails cruising around as well. But you’d want some bigger gear for larger one .and probably in a boat… Dave be careful what you wish for, especially tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 9:34pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dave also well done on Trev ,  was a beauty … and hopefully excellent sashimi.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 4:22pm
Gold
Gold

I targeted Kingies today, I got a nice string of Macs before 8:00am, and bridle rigged one to a  seven recurve hook, and off I went, up and down, in and out for hours, but there were no birds or boil ups today, so no King for me, but I did get a nice booby prize, a 49cm Snapper trolling in 6m off Mairangi Bay, just out from the surf club, I was probably going 3-4kms when the snapper struck, the bridle rig with a rubber band and the recurve hook seemed to work well.
 It's not a King but the neighbors are happy with it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 8:21pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 9:12pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Shane. 
Trolling has its own sort of fun, nothing, nothing, nothing, then the reel goes off.
I popped down to the beach after lunch today and there were huge boil ups with birds, yesterday there wasn't a bird or fish to be seen, except around Kennedy's when I was trolling in close, there were dozens of Terns sunning themselves on the rocks, too fat to fly, they had a rest day, but they were back at it today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 10:04pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Been a while between TRs from me been bloody busy and not a lot of fishing really just the usual 4 or 5 pannies from OP over summer and a few trips on the boat with the kids. I've found some real disappointing weather reports over the last 6 weeks, waking up and seeing not a breath of wind when 15- 20 knots has been reported.
Any ways I was going on Sunday regardless and found myself setting up at OP alone and paddling out in the dark into a stiff easterly with mist and drizzle blowing over from the Coromandel. The chop had soaked me from the waste down by the time I got to my usual spot ,but a double hook up while dropping SB out back and   first cast out front got me smiling. Went quite for a while then had solid hook up and reel was hissing a good fight and up popped a solid snap. Wind had picked up and the drizzle kept coming, I thought one more will do the trick but only managed a few throw backs, decided to paddle straight back into wind a give it one more drift ..... glad I did. Was getting thrown around in the chop wet and cold asking myself what am I doing out here when soft bait got monstered, blistering first run, once it stopped I cranked the drag up a bit and got one wind in and it took of again, first thought was kingfish it stayed high in the water column and every time I got a few winds in off it went again. This went on for a good few minutes, desperate to see it as I gained line it got within a few meters then started darting left and right the red beast was angry. Struggling to get it in my net the fish was spent and dragged over the side of yak. The 45min paddle home was more of a victory lap and definitely gave me the time to reflect on why kayak fishing is the best!

Big one went 78cm
Small one 65cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 10:07pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 8:21am
Gold
Gold

Mighty fish Mr Hopkins, he got a real purdy mouth.
I can see why you enjoyed your paddle back after that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 8:32am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish mate, well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 10:01pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome fishing Hopkins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 10:28pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers lads. Always good to catch a big fish on your local..... HY still jealous of your mid week trips. I'll try to do better to keep this page going. Auckalnd yakers đź‘Ť
Page  <1 848849850