Marlborough Sounds

Page  <1 295296297
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 2:19pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Doesn't anyone go to french pass anymore, or choosing to stay quiet about exploits,
be a shame to see the place being infested by free loading road lice campers.
it was bad enough getting access to ramp with them sitting and swimming from it. Mind you some did expose more, than what you would normally see, a bit more uplift.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:02pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will be there next week and then again in February. Love the place and find it hard to go anywhere else. Managed to get a month house sitting at French Pass and then two weeks farm sitting at the Northern tip of Durville during this past year.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 10:36am
Gold
Gold

Some challenges have to be met head on, i feel for you having to put up with that, yep we're back in march for what i think is our 26th year. it's always a 12 month conversation and reminisce until the next one. Christ we're almost apprentice locals.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 12:37pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes that my position....apprentice local... in fact I recently sailed right around the north island with three of them on the Steadfast. Classic yacht you will have seen moored there.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 1:14pm
Gold
Gold

Wondered where it got too, that is stunning and considering it's hand
built from aussie ironbark a real masterpiece, i have got some really good pix of it under full canvas out from stephens. could have been 1800's.i haven't seen it there the last couple of years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Smiddy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 9:38am
Smiddy101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Pretty easy to catch a feed out the QC at moment, infact the blue cod fishing at present is better than south Westland
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 1:07pm
Gold
Gold

Is that near clay point, French pass in background ? Awful weather, must have been hard. Won't be long, we'll be back for a week in march again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:30am
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've been fishing the Motueka spat farms through December, plenty of kings about using topwater.

Jigged Frenchpass on an incoming couple weeks back, did well again. Drift line was pretty specific. Might give Tennyson a go tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 1:43pm
Gold
Gold

Sounds good, up there second week of march so will give that a go in Pass, haven't had much luck doing that over the years, any special sort of jig seem better ?
Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 4:35pm
Gold
Gold

Just back from pass after a week, finally got out to Jags over 3 days, 3rd very lumpy.
For the first time in about 15 years the snapper were some of the biggest we have ever caught, We had to work for them. Strangely not a lot of terakihi or gurnard, i presume they're getting smashed because of the cod rules. the only time we didn't find cod was after the eartquake up north, very quiet day. it is everywhere in abundance.

What's sad is now there is so much kina there are no more kelp nurseries for bait or growing fish. Another great sight after years, was the return of the porpoises through the pass, up to twice a day big schools and very big units.
Very few seals about, consequently we saw no Orcas.
New operators at the shop, try and support them, if your up that way, good people.

There were a lot of charter boats every day too, they must have smashed all their normal areas, from jags to hell's gate, stephens, beef barrels. Even some sneaky wee spots that we soft bait in they were snooping around.

i must say though the ramp has been hammered was a bit interesting on the low spring tides, perhaps a couple of STRONG sighting poles at the top would also help, there were some unusual figure 8 backing manouvers by some.

Also some of the freedom campers seem to think its meant for them to sun themselves on their loungers, to the point that whilst backing trailer down i had to stop, to tell some to get off, too busy reading and texting, needless to say we didn't offer any a nice fish dinner.
look out next year, can't wait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:21pm
Gatekeeper View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Must be one of the best snapper seasons we have had for decades

How have you got on, smash up a photo.

There is never a better time to go fishing than now, live the day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 5:58pm
Brenick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Kenepuru was doing ok in March for snapper and kingfish. Only managed the one trip though.
PS. Can't post photos?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 6:28pm
Brenick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Brenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:00pm
Brenick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out for a quick spin on the Ski on Wednesday (16th). I haven't fished the sounds much (3 times) so there is a lot of exploring and experimenting to be done.
The weather was looking good but after leaving Havelock at around 10am, I was confronted with some very heavy patches of fog while heading to the spot I thought would be worth checking out. That made for an interesting trip out, along with the islands of floating logs I had to avoid on the way.
I pulled up on my chosen spot and cruised around checking out the sounder to see how things looked. Once satisfied, I set up a drift and was rewarded with a hit on my very first drop. A small cod came up and although not a keeper I was happy to have scored first up. I must have fluked a good area as a steady stream of cod came to the surface and with a size limit of 33cm and bag limit of 2 cod, I was being a bit fussy about what came aboard. The tax man, in the form of a Barracouta, turned up and a shag decided it could get an easy feed on discarded cod so it was time to move on. My next spot had good current running and cod were abundant again. I dropped a livebait for a few drifts and was rewarded with a Couta....not exactly target species but worth a crack.
Time to head back and I had a great ride apart from discovering how big the wake a laden mussel barge can be.
Hope to be back out there soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote winz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 9:34am
winz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Brenick Brenick wrote:

nice catch big fish Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Brenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 3:37pm
Brenick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Quick trip yesterday out of Waikawa in a mates new boat. It was a bit of a test drive but we had to see if we could catch a feed as well.
Morning fog made navigation interesting but we managed a few drifts away from most of the traffic and caught a handful of different species on some small jigs. When the fog cleared late morning we headed further up the Sound and spent an hour or so bouncing around off Cape Jackson. There were plenty of XOS Kahawai about and we landed a few good cod (one 50cm) so some good fun was had on the light gear we were using. No Barracouta around to steal our lures either.Smile
The plan to have a go for a Puka was ruined by the wind but we had caught a good feed and were happy with the way the boat performed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shearer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 5:10pm
Shearer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone been fishing in the sounds over the last few years?Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jpfishingnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 3:46pm
jpfishingnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yep - we spent a couple of days down there last year - bloody great fishery

New Zealand Fishing Media - Sales Manager
Page  <1 295296297