1 or 2 piece soft bait rod

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rank Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 11:58am
Rank Amateur View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Which Rod was that Of2??

Speaking of Okuma Rods,  After reading your thread on the Revo Toro I was wondering to myself if a Toro 50 (or even a 60) paired to a Braid Concept 10-15KG might not be a bad very Deep Water (150-200M+) Softbait set up for Puka and other deeper water species...  Allowing that the guides might have to come off and be redone to suit such a use...  Whaddya reckon?
Sĕnor Leh-mōn - The Marlin Liberator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tennut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 1:33pm
tennut View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by nodnod nodnod wrote:

Originally posted by Men In Black Men In Black wrote:

Hi MIB,, I cant see any flatspotSmile,, I guess i will have to keep looking!!Smile

1pc or 2pc blanks are very similar, Of2fsh points out a valid point of some of the cheaper 2pc rods where the joint is stiff and you get a flat spot effect in the action.

However a quality 2pc blank is made allowing for the increase in stiffness at the joint and will use a different weight high modulus carbons to compensate for the extra wall thickness of the joint. Try and pick a flat spot in this blank.

So what is this a Synit or something...Custom is the way to go for plastic i reckon eh,but i am a 1 piece man and need convincing to go 2. Also looking at Loomis and calstar from the states,know much about them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodnod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 7:42pm
nodnod View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hey tennut,
                 i know that they are meant to be the beez neez, but big variation on bottom to top spec and price reflects that!
I'm loking at them but will price it against a custom job in nz too. As MIB said some use those blanks anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 8:01pm
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use a two piece offshore and my brother inlaw uses a two peice shimano,we regularly look like homos with our two peice rods and oversized snapper.They are good for stowage and have no flat spots they often resemble a horse shoe...Plenty of good rods out there....most of them will handle large snapper....some of those will look good while doing it...and some will cost alot of money and some all three points.End of the day,what do you want? will it do what you want?how much can you afford?.....I like NZ made.The fun part is looking at the options.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodnod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 8:32pm
nodnod View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

HA-HA.I knew that 'gay' bit would get a few comments! Your right the fun part is finding what you want,usally ends up costing a lot more for me though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 10:16pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rank Amateur Rank Amateur wrote:

Which Rod was that Of2??

Speaking of Okuma Rods,  After reading your thread on the Revo Toro I was wondering to myself if a Toro 50 (or even a 60) paired to a Braid Concept 10-15KG might not be a bad very Deep Water (150-200M+) Softbait set up for Puka and other deeper water species...  Allowing that the guides might have to come off and be redone to suit such a use...  Whaddya reckon?

It was a black one LOL  cant recall the name of the rod mate,  what you say about the s/b rig for puka sounds right on the money...only thing that can and will go wrong is a stonking 40kg fish will grab your bait and smash you to bits...thiers a bit of risk involved Wink.As for the removal of the guides from the rod that seems like a waste of time mate,match the rod to the braid your using and it will be fine
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 3:24am
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The major factor for me getting a two piece was that i fish out of a 5.5m aliminium boat.Space is a premium and I like to look after my gear so if I can put somthing inside up the front out of salt spray I do.I also have a one piece overhead set up for s/p's,.
I guess one benefit of a two piece is it can be hidden more easily from the better half so will remain off the radar for quite some time-by the time it is noticed it will be "that old thing" Wink....I think most took awhile to come to grips with looking like a trout fisherman with their light gear LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rank Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 9:16am
Gold
Gold

Thanks Of2... Reason I mentioned the guides is i don't know how well the guides on the rod are set up for a low-pro overhead, but the blank seems like a good one...  As far as i can find there is a 7"6 and a 6'6" but they seem to mostly be in spin configuration as far as i've been ablew to find (online searched only mind!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 1:49pm
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rank, I run the braid concepts rods. Awesome rods and nothing wrong with the guides on em. i love mine. not sure how well they would handle a 40k puka though. I use a 10-15kg one for my heavier soft baiting rig for with V-System 55a loaded with 450m  of 10kg braid for kingi's. It cope's so i guess there's not really any reason it shouldn't cope with normal size puka etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Got-ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 3:24pm
Got-ya View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hookerpuka interested on yr opinion of the VS reel? was thinking of getting one for a heavy duty set as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 3:39pm
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So far I'm very happy with it. smooth, strong and reliable, the double drag system is mint, 16ss bearings you would kinda expect that :D and at half the price of a few of the other flag ship reels out there its a steal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rank Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 3:39pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers guys... I'm thinking if I were fishing a spot where 40KG puka were likely then I'd hopefully have a JM450 and OK4000 or 5000P and be targeting them with that... So for most of the fishing I'm likely to do in terms of deep water stuff then that sounds good...

HP - I've got a VS-45 which i've yet to spool up even though I've had it for ages because I'm not only slack but also the wife's still on parental leave so until she goes back to work full time whats mine is hers... anyway I was planning to pair that to the longer version braid concept for missions to places like the mokes - big softies on bigger fish in rough territory - so again sounds like my thinkings pretty good...

Feck after all these years I might be learning something - just gotta pry my credit card back out of my wife's hands and go spending!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 4:10pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rank Amateur Rank Amateur wrote:

Feck after all these years I might be learning something - just gotta pry my credit card back out of my wife's hands and go spending!

No chance mate, I speak from experience once it is in their hands its gone for goodLOL 

However do not abandon all hope there are ways my friend Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 4:12pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OWNED!
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rank Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 4:51pm
Gold
Gold

I've heard lime and a shovel, and a quiet place in the Waitaks solves that problem, but often creates other unintended problems that intefere with fishing!

Page  <12