Fishing Conditions..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing Conditions..
    Posted: 11 Oct 2002 at 9:24am
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi, A beautiful Day yesterday so thinking it was a smart move last night, I took the tinny out for a spin / fished for a few hours. (5-8pm). Anchored up on the North side of the Whangaparoa Peninsula... berleyed up... threw out a few good baits straylining (squid and Pilly) and waited.... and waited... and waited.... then moved.... berleyed up again and waited.... one nibble on my bait rod and that was it. The worst evenings fishing I have ever experienced. It was low tide at about 4.30pm, I was fishing between 7-12 meters of water and the wind was blowing against the tide. (fished over the front of the boat aswell) My question.... what was I doing wrong, normally you would get at least baitfish around the berley trail.... Do the fish stop feeding when the wind starts blowing? Low tide a bad time to fish? Any comments for this confused novice fisho would be great... Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2002 at 10:09am
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Advice: Put down your rod and take up spear fishing, if you cant see fish, keep on swimming till you can.

Seriously, sometimes when I dive an area that is normally choking with fish life it is completely dead. Different spots fire at diffrent times and not always consistantly.

In your fishing note book make a note of all the factors about the spot and session.

Try the spot again at a differnet tide/light and record results. (Sound like hardwork? Thats fishing as apposed to dangling some bait in the water.)

Who knows, maybe a 20 ft great white was sniffing around your burley all night. This always flashes through my head when a normally active area is dead.

Cheers

Paul

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joseph Lau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2002 at 1:50pm
Joseph Lau View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tomsta, I think the conditions you mentioned was very similar to the conditions I experienced the previous night at the Browns Bay reef where the wind was blowing against the tide making conditions very lumpy and we were also fishing out the front of the boat. I found that the nibbles were very soft and tentative and it was difficult to detect the nibbles due to the lumpy conditions. My mate was complaining that I was not giving him a hand in fishing as I was busy trying for some squid. I put down the squid rod and tried snapper fishing for a short while. I discovered that if I strike early after the first couple of soft nibbles, I could get a hook up half the time. Also helps if smaller hooks are used together with smaller baits. After I showed the mate this technique, he managed to have 9 hookups of legal snaps but he kept 5.  Important to clear all rods and only hold one rod in hand, preferably a very light 4 kg jig rod where you can strike with only one hand.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2002 at 8:07pm
Mr Bean View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tomsta, I had almost the same experience fishing off the southern end of Motoroa, heaps of burley etc and nothing from about 5 till the sun started going down, and then it was all on, 16 snaps all around 34/35cm in about an hour and a half. Couldn't even get a bait to the bottom they were so hungry, all in excellent condition, quite white/silvery with sharp teeth, obviously just fresh in from the ocean. Pillies with the heads pulled off did the damage. Now I truely understand the joys of dusk fishing!!