Anyone get out today??

Page  <1 449450451
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 5:58pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by LBGer LBGer wrote:

Yes, only beach/wharf fishing in your local spot, (not your favourite spot) - if they are the same place then you're in luck.....

Is my understanding that driving to the spot is a no no, to ensure it is indeed a local spot unless fancying a long walk.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 7:07pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can drive but again it's local areas, fishing looks like it is classified as recreation and you are allowed to drive to a spot to recreate.

At Alert Level 4, you can exercise in your local area on your own, or with people in your household bubble. 

Stick to simple outdoor exercise, and avoid activities where you can get injured or lost. For example, do not go swimming, surfing, boating, hunting or tramping. It is important emergency services remain available to support the response to COVID-19.  

You can drive to a place to exercise — for example to a park but you should stay close to where you live. Do not travel too far.

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 4:33pm
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My son was playing Rugby at Whangarei Saturday Midday, so I decided to go up earlier and cast a line in off the bricks.  Low tide was around 7:00am.  This meant I could fish my spot to around 9:30 before being cut off.  Was a bit of swell around and my Berley bag ripped open within fist 5 minutes, bugger..

Plenty of small snapper on chew, but nothing comfortably oversize.  Moved spots slightly and got onto to a few Kahawhai, one for bait, one for the smoker.
Snapper didn't get any bigger, I was thinking I'll use the last few pillys to get another Kahawhai.

Last bait (typical) boom hooked up onto a good fish. Had a lot more weight than the Kahawhai I had been catching and suspected it was Kingi.  Line peeled off so headed for higher ground and better vantage point.  A great battle continued and I was thinking what have I got here.  

Anyway a BIG snapper came into view.  I was fishing by myself and had brought a gaff with me, but it was too far away to grab.  Decided to try and lever the fish up with the swell onto a patch of rock/seaweed.  3 attempts and a bit of breath holding but up she came. 
I was stoked!!

Fish was 70cm long and weighed 15lbs, was very fat.
I'd normally release this size fish but the hook was deep in the gut, damn.
A few photos, and off to smoker

Sunrise

Stoked

Fatty

Hook retrieved

Off to the smoker

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 12:57pm
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wowza that's a good one.

Newbie question, why does everyone release the bigger fish? Not good to eat?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 4:14pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mejobloggs mejobloggs wrote:

Wowza that's a good one.

Newbie question, why does everyone release the bigger fish? Not good to eat?

supposedly breeding stock
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 4:59pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, basically better breeding stock

We had a guest speaker at our kayak fishing club, he mentioned when comparing a 30cm to a 50cm in terms of breeding, it was many fold in the difference comparing those 2 sizes. I cant remember the exact many times that was quoted between those 2 sizes, but that info came directly from niwa scientists
Big snapper breed till the day they die

If you look at some of the fb pages when ppl post up big snaps, say... over 10-15lb plus, they almost all get sh*t for it
It seems, gone are the days that posting big fish meant something, now you get cut down

One comp I have kayak fished twice, has a top end of 60cm for keeper snapper that are in for prizes. Last year was dropped to 50cm, but was cancelled because of covid restrictions... all to do with conserving the breeding stock for future generations to enjoy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 5:10pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got out for a surf cast at Raglan harbour entrance yesterday, and nailed a nice panny, last time I fished there I was plagued by eagle rays.

Callsign: ZMU 4809
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 10:01am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi team - i have just resurrected a couple of surfcasting rods- one okuma 3.9m and a finnor 4.2 with new Shimano beastmaster spinning reels and am really enjoying quick trips down to my local east coast bays beaches after work or early morn late arvo missions.
I use google earth and some field work visits to spots while walking my dogs at low tide - i want to be casting and fishing over sand but close to reef as well.
Found two spots that are getting me a feed at least everytime i go - small snapper up to 43cm and kahawaii really enjoy the pilchard baits i use with baitcotton. The baitcotton is a pain to continually use but a well presented pilchard bait would be irressistable to just about every fish  - if they see it they will eat it.
Low or high tide have both worked well and so easy 5min from home.
Page  <1 449450451