Shearers rock by Tiri

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shearers rock by Tiri
    Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 1:58am
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

Have read about shearers rock in a few books and spot x guide etc. They all talk about shearers buoy not actually marking shearers rock itself.

I have been out there and seen "Shearers Bouy" and seen boats around what I'm sure from the GPS is the actual shearers rock.

Some books say be very careful to avoid hitting shearers rock and others say it only gets to within 4m below the surface and you should try and anchor directly above it???

Basically I want to know if you can you aim to drive over top of it?  Or if you need to make sure you never actually cross it due to the chance it is almost out of the water!! i.e. 1 foot below.

Any advice from you guys who know the area would be helpful.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 7:31am
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

it breaks in a swell-I'd think maybe 1.5m deep at low tide? I've hit it while fishing on a charter boat onceClap
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phecda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 10:11am
Phecda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here's the chart
Select chart 5321 and download a TIFF.

It's listed as 0.6m, and it could well have 3m or so over it at High Tide and no swell. It's roughly 0.3nm NW of the buoy (according to the chart).

The buoy was put there after a fishing boat camped the night on it. I assume they dont put a buoy directly on a danger because it might wash away?

(I dont remember a second buoy there as the chart shows. Anyone know?)

Bollons rock is also a danger - unmarked and on the NW corner of Tiritiri. The yacht Northerner sunk on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 10:20am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

The rock itself is quite isloated and is located about half way between the shoreline and the buoy known as Shearers Buoy.

Shearers Buoy sits on a ledge which extends towards the norwest from the buoy.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 10:32am
Wizard View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shearers buoy isn't on shearers rock.  It's about 150m SE of the rock.  Dunno why.  I wouldn't plan a trip over the rock at all, thats why it's marked on charts.  Dan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ski  da mofo!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 10:35am
ski da mofo!! View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

shearers rock does break the surface at low tide sometimes .it is located about 1/3 of the w ay between shearers bouy and shag rock.you can usually see a current  slick when the tide is running and best fished up current with berley washing back onto it.kingys frequent the spot over the summer months and is a popular spearo haunt.shearers bouy marks a patch of foul which can also hold kingfish ,snapper and crays tho both spots do get hammered!so answer to your question NO DONT DRIVE OVER THE TOP OF THE ROCK especially at low tide!
BIG FISH IS WHERE ITS AT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phecda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 10:53am
Phecda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I assume a small runabout or such-like can get quite close in calm conditions with a Mk 1 eyeball rotated downwards (and the other rotated upwards in my opinion). When I get that close it's by accident, or sometimes I'm too engrossed in my fishing.

Floated right over Whale Rock in Bay of Is last season, with a 1.7m draft. I guess the tide must have been in Big%20smile (it's listed as 0.7m) (the current buoy was not there at the time, but I recently observed the buoy is some distance INSIDE the rock in that case)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 11:39am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got a 28lb snap from the buoy area years ago though we used to call that area "The Pinnacles" It certainly did not have a name on the buoy then.
Its also good for popping kingies in the warmer months.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phecda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 12:01pm
Phecda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've never caught a 28lb snap anywhere. Largest was 8kg.

Awesome, Joker.

Hooked a large kingi at Flat Rock (actually one of the fouls sth of it) which had me staggering around the boat on 80lb braid. I bust-off! It was a long-jig. My mate was peeing himself with me staggering around the boat going "Oh...Oh...Oh..."

Edit: and not all commercial fishing boats are always beetards or our enemies. A commercial turned up on our spot and we wondered what the eff he was doing. Then he waved us over and said "the kingfish are right here!". Shortly after I hooked up. I dunno why he did it, the commercial must have been having his own good day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluecoraldiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 12:37pm
bluecoraldiver View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I fished Shearers Rock for the first time on Friday (normally fished the Bouy). I got a nice 2kg snap. Lots of 27cm size fish but put them all back as they really looked so small. I discovered the 'real' rock by accident after fishing the bouy one day. I nice quick straight line trip from Gulf Harbour. Would really like to try this rock in summer. May even dive it if the currents are completely slack. The currents were pretty wild there on Friday, very swirlly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 1:26pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have freedived both the buoy and Shearers rock. Usually plenty of school kingies in the summer at both if current is running. Bigger ones at Shearers (biggest speared there 20 odd kg).
Breaking open a few kina on the south west face of shearers  once bought in a good school of snaps -speared 3 -4 to 4kg b4 they went away.