How long in each spot when hunting fish?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long in each spot when hunting fish?
    Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 1:15am
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

I often hear people on this forum and in the books etc that with SP you are "hunting" the fish.

Moving from place to place and drifting with the SP's to find the fish.

My question is this:

How long in a spot OR drift will you guys usually give it with no fish or decent strikes encouraging you to stay?

Is it a 5 minute thing and then move on if nothing to show?  Or do you often persevere for an hour before giving up on that location?

I know there will be no simple answer but the reason I ask is becase the only times I've caught any fish on SP's they were pretty much hitting them from first few casts.

The times that the first 5 casts have shown nothing have usually stayed like that.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 6:09am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Use the GPS to mark the fish  usually,if the drift produces a few fish then dies off we will motor back to just above the spot where the fish were and start another drift.Continue doing this untill the fish stop coming aboard.When they stop its time for a move around the area watching the sounder.If its dead every where i will usually stick it out and wait for a while drifting about waiting to see what a tide change etc will produce
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 10:03pm
bush View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

no action after 10 hiffs i change bait. no action after another 5 even bigger heaves i move looking at depth and fish sign.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 8:14am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If i'm fishing a new area not very long sometimes.
If I'm in an area I know is holding fish but can't seem to get many takes, I'll often drift and re-drift in a grid pattern moving over about 5-10m at a time and re-drift constantly to see if that ups the hits. If I get nothing after covering a good area I'll move on further.
The more time you spend fishing areas the more info you can get on tides, winds and bite times etc I reckon so its not all bad sitting around catching bugger all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 11:37am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quite often you get the best fish pretty soon - got to admit i'm not the most patient of people.
Depends on the spot-you do need to persevere sometimes and wait for the current to pick upetc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 12:39pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When fishing the wash or shallow areas your 1st cast is usually your best shot at a fish,seen this many times
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phecda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 1:07pm
Phecda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If using berley, you'd have to stick a place for hours wouldn't you?

[I never use berley. Seemed to me better to shift to the fish, vs them to me]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 7:18pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Phecda Phecda wrote:

If using berley, you'd have to stick a place for hours wouldn't you?

[I never use berley. Seemed to me better to shift to the fish, vs them to me]

The team that placed 3rd in the last Berkley s/b comp used berley at anchor to catch thier fish.They caught some beauties coming close to the Winners haul of fish..another option for shure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 1:35pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

of2fsh-that is interesting re the berley. Were they fishing out in the deep?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 2:07pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Ive used burley to pull fish from the foul in the shallows when softbaiting much like ya would when ya straylining for big moocha.

Only thing i noticed with the softbaits was more smaller fish attacking the soft baits that what I tend to get with the big moocha baits but that is most likely due to the size of the soft bait i was using
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 2:24pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I drift fish SBs mostly - therefore if no fish within 2 or three drops, move, they're not there or not feeding and better to hunt elsewhere Smile Patience/patients are for hospitals Big%20smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 2:00pm
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've fished with Espresso, you're lucky if he waits 2 minutes with out a bite before the Yammie 2-stroke is singing and you're off to hunt another spot LOL

No half measures!