SB in a good berley trail - why not?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SB in a good berley trail - why not?
    Posted: 26 May 2008 at 7:49pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

I am in the learning stages of Soft Bait fishing and although I've read about soft baits being better in a drift situation (cover more ground, lateral movement etc)  i can't understand why they would not also be good in an anchored situation with lots of berley bringin the fish in?

I know the shadow of the boat is sometimes referred to as a reason  - but if you are casting away from the boat a decent distance down the berley trail then surely this isn't a problem?

I know you can catch fish in this manner.........but I am wanting to know why bouncing a SB in a good berley trail is not a strategy used or discussed?

I am interested in comments from people who have used SB much longer than me!

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 7:57pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Go for it macca but make sure you have plenty of packets, especially if using scented softbaits.
The piranahs ( baby snapper) & leatherjackets will keep you busy replentishing the offerings thoLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 9:40pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's not really that it doesn't work (although be prepared for the situation uncle has mentioned with the little ones) it's just not needed, berley that is. Go hunting the fish with your sounder and take the fight to them I reckon.
SPs at anchor can be all good but I would certainly prefer drifting myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Here_fishee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 9:45pm
Here_fishee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have seen the technique work well - usually when it's too windy to drift and in winter when trying to get fish feeding.

In my limited experience, you want the edge of the current rather than the full flush of it.  That way you can cast a smaller jig head at say 45 degrees down current and swing your SB around until it's below you and retrieve erratically.  The hits often seem to come soon after the bait lands, just as its starting to swing, and as it straightens below you.  Also, during the retrieve if you can keep the bait close to the bottom.

If the burley has the fish feeding they do take SB's fished like that.  Just my two cents.  Not built on a huge raft of experience either Ermm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:05pm
Carbine View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pop in to Go Fish in northcote Greg does it all the time with some good success lightly weight hooks drifting down the berley trail with small twitches - if there are fish there they will bite. Plus good chance to catch some livies piper or macks and throw em down the berley trail for some miny moochers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 5:54am
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Macca, there are a few threads on here about this topic. Do a search and you will find them. We used Sp's at anchor with great success last winter
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 10:09am
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep saw a guy having good sucsess in my burley trail until the 200gram jig struck his boat then he moved on !Evil%20Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 1:28pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yep...
last time i was out fishing at waiheke in my kayak was fishing around thompsons point and got a good berley trail going.. the fish weren't taking baits and when the sun dipped low i emptied the contents of the berley bag into the trail... upped anchor and drifted through it.. and it went off, first cast scored a nice 5lber then fish after fish every time. i did a huge drift with the current right to the end of my berley trail and i gotta say it was a bloody successful form of fishing, every soft bait that i dropped down there was getting monstered..
will definately be trying that again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 4:02pm
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We fish sp from anchor quite a lot, we find a good burley trail is a must, also fish the lightest jig head you can and put movement into the bait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 4:16pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Elpescador Elpescador wrote:

Yep saw a guy having good sucsess in my burley trail until the 200gram jig struck his boat then he moved on !Evil%20Smile

I would imagine even a complete idiot would get the picture after that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:04pm
snapaman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey have always used berley when SBing and had good results. But i'm always SBing from a anchored boat and i'm always fish on foal were fish hang around that may be why.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capnnod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:08pm
Capnnod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In my 'change over' phase we used to anchor up and berley. Split half the crew on sps half real bait. Only once in many fishing expeditions did the real baits have more success than the soft baits.Drifting past pins has now overtaken drifting in channels as the water temp drops and the fishing gets a bit harder in close. Maybe next time we will anchor and try the old methods again, it definitely works, keep all bases covered and go with what's workingWink