Wind direction affect fishing??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind direction affect fishing??
    Posted: 25 May 2008 at 3:15am
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

I have 2 questions which come from what you read and people say.

Does he direction of the wind really affect the fishing?

And if so how?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 6:25am
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Macca,
Wind direction plays a big part if dirft fishing a perticular area or coastline, but so does current. Try and pick the wind and tide flow so they are together if possible, have a couple of areas in mind to suit both incoming and out going. If you are bottom bouncing the channels then the current is most likley to determine where you are heading. The only other thing I have noticed is an Easterly slows the fishing down in the Firth, plus it can be a little uncomfortable at times.
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 7:26am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

no..it just makes things in our elements colder, wetter, bouncier etc...how could a wind direction effect something that does not get wind..
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 8:00am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't really agree with Tobes on this one....certains wind directions are often associated with different Barometric movements and it is this pressure drops/increases that does seem to effect bites......well from my observations at least....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 9:03am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any wind from the east and especially southeast puts the fish off,bloody cold as well especially around the Firth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 9:18am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

To me it affects more where you can go rather than if it puts the fish off. I don't see how the wind temperature can send the fish running for cover but then who does. It certainly can affect surfcasting - a strong westerly can make a west coast beach pretty messy, whether or not the fish are in all that churned up sand is anyones guess. Same with fishing a wash, it can be very productive with the right combo of wind and tide.

Hmmm, I think I'll go fishing today, I don't think the gurnard will be too worried about what's going on above them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 10:03am
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used to hate the S /SE / E in the gulf - bloody cold and lumpy if you're close to the firth. However the last two trips have been in a Southerly and Easterly and we came home early with long jonhs of good fish. Confused

I agree with Kezza when it comes to Marlin and wind though, they always seem to shut their gobs for me in a Southerly.
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 1:47pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

....associated with different Barometric movements and it is this pressure drops/increases that does seem to effect bites....

that i agree with, but to me thats different, your talking about 'pressures' we cant feel and fish supposivly can...not necessarliy soley wind direction.
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 3:35pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the whole quote is......

"certains wind directions are often associated with different Barometric movements and it is this pressure drops/increases that does seem to effect bites"

when you read the entire statement that I made you will see that I did make a correlation to wind direction and baro activity.....just to clarify "we" can feel barometric pressure increses/decreases often by wind direction and how that effects fishing can be pronounced and/or subtle...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 3:37pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For me winds affect my fishing, NE back around to W are best but only from the stand point I can fish certain spots from the direction I want.

BUT I have noticed that when the snappers are schooling stretched out along the coast (rather than out to sea), the fishing is always better drifting in from the north, (so for me drifting down the coast), than it is on the southerly, drift up. Same lines of drift working the same patterns just in reverse, and always less fish...