Dropshot rig - anyone had success?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dropshot rig - anyone had success?
    Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:53am
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

I have read about a soft bait rig called the dropshot rig.  It is effectively a dropper or ledger rig for SB in that the sinker goes onto the very bottom of the fluro carbon and the lure is attached using a palomar knot to the fluro carbon about 6 inches above the sinker. 

So its like a ledger rig BUT the bait has its nose hard against the main line.

They say you can use 2 SB on one line with this.

Anyone had any luck using this style?  Obviously it allows heavier sinkers at the bottom of your rig if needed.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:13am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I tried it ages ago and successfully got busted off everytime. No doubt it was probably me with a palomar that wasn't up to scratch but its it looked right and was always pulled up plenty of spit etc. I actually had better success with a ledger rig and shorter say 50mm droppers than I did with drop shotting and no bust offs.

I think deep water rigs like the jig star swivel heads and now the new synits rigs have made it much more effective to fishing the deep so I just don't find the need to use the drop shotting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aharvnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:28pm
aharvnz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have used them occasionally, tend to have a heavier jighead on the bottom to double your chances. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 1:40pm
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I made a couple for trying out where we find a ledger rig with bait on it is working. I use 2 #5 split rings, the top one has the worm hook on it and is also where I clip on the genie clip attached to my leader. The "bottom" ring has a bit of trace tied to it and the sinker on the bottom. I caught a real nice snapper ('bout 7lb I guess) when I was out with Damo. Had a #7 worm hook and a 7" pink shine on it, he smashed it as I started to wind her in. I also got a nice little (34cm) snapper on it at the mussel farms near Ta Kouma, #5 hook and a 5" pink shine. Definately not a waste of time to have one in the arsenal to try when b*gger all else is working.
No half measures!