leftys loop knot

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 11:08pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It was at a SWF weekend on the coromandell that I first learnt to tie the lefty,s loop as taught by Peter morse and Clark. Its all I have used for sp and flys since and the knot has never let me down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 12:17pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

Would you agree with the lots of lube on the knot before pulling up tight Clark ??? made a big difference on the line tester

All knots need lubrication really . Rodholder is not that far off the mark, Fluoro does handle friction better than mono, but I still wet all knots. One thing I would say ios that the knot Rodholder is using is not a Lefty's Loop. If he goes through the Y then he has invented a varient. Heat and friction in knots not properly tightened is the main cause of knot failure. Friction pulling them up can be another.

On my Saltfly clinics I demonstrate breaking a piece of 100 lb nylon using nothing other than a piece of tissue paper to rub it with when it's held under tension. The heat alone pops it in two. I personally moisten all knots. I might try and put this on video and post it if I can.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 5:31pm
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I use this knot, I just go back out through the overhand knot following the tag end that came in after coming from the eye of the hook/jighead.

I am a genie clip man mainly & have no problems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shankly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 12:09am
Shankly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys,

I have had big problems since I started using braid last December. I first started with the Deckies knot from braid to mono, which broke first time out, then I tried fishing straight through with braid to the hook tying a uni-knot, every time I stike on a bite it snaps. I've now resorted back to 8lb mono fished straight through with no problem, but obviously not the feel and excitement of braid.
Is it possible to fish straight through (no leader) with braid ?
Which knot do I need for this ?
Or should I be tying mono as a trace ? With which knot.

I love my lightweight Katana set up and don't want to go back to a winch !

Thanks for you help,

SB
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:22am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is so many combonations for which knots to go with Shankly, I personally go bimini for the braid double, yuctan for the braid to leader and then leftys for the hook or jig head. But there's plenty more to choose from if that doesn't suit. Do a search back through the SP forum, theres a lot on this subject that might help, some usefull diagrams and links too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 6:19am
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Back to back uni for braid to fluoro/mono hasn't let me down yet. and its easy. Others to choose from though
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 8:33am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Badfish Badfish wrote:

There is so many combonations for which knots to go with Shankly, I personally go bimini for the braid double, yuctan for the braid to leader and then leftys for the hook or jig head. But there's plenty more to choose from if that doesn't suit. Do a search back through the SP forum, theres a lot on this subject that might help, some usefull diagrams and links too.
I use the exaqct same rig and don't have it fail at all. In fact, Uncle and I talked about this the other night, all of my breakages occur in the Fluoro itself at the base of the loop (By the eye) and not in the knots at all. Showing the eye causes more stress to the Fluoro than either of these knots.

The Yuctan tied with a bimini tied correctly should test at 100% andf the Lefty's right up around 98% ... obviously the eye on the point of the loop tests at about 97%LOL.

My advice over the broken knots, and I don't mean to be patronising, is to go back and really studdy how they are tied and work on tying them better. They will only fail you in the way they are if incorrectly tied... this applies to the other knots suggested as well of course. The problem isn't the actual knots, or the materials, it's the tying of them...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 8:58am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Clark:    I've been using a triple Surgeons knot to make the double shock lead in the braid - mainly because I am too ham-fisted!  Have tried to tie a Spider hitch to do the same job, but somehow I always end up with a mess... The Surgeons knot has not let me down so far.

I use a Yucatan knot to join the fluoro leader to the braid, and for the loop, I have been using the Surgeons knot again, but this does mean I have to pass the hook or the jighead through the knot to make it work.  Have been studying the Lefty's loop knot and might start to use this instead for the loop .

Cheers

Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:54am
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

bang on clark, i noticed when i used to troll for trout with lures that the flouro was breaking off where it entered the eye of the lure. it simply wont stand the friction that nylon will. i tried making the hole smoother and drilled out to larger size etc. went back to nylon.....no more problems.
i check my flouro after EVERY fish now. its amazing how often you will find a tiny nick or flaw that would cause a breakage on the next fish.
i loose a lot less gear now, funny that!.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote $$$VOTE THE GIB CHEERS$$$ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 11:08am
$$$VOTE THE GIB CHEERS$$$ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone i reccomed to use rainbow braid for lives its real good and every 100 meters it goes out it changes colour so when u let it run u can see how far its out CHEERS EVERYONE
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail a true friend will be sitting next to you saying damm!!! we ****ed up!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote $$$VOTE THE GIB CHEERS$$$ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 11:09am
$$$VOTE THE GIB CHEERS$$$ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

wat equipment do u need????Thumbs%20Up
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail a true friend will be sitting next to you saying damm!!! we ****ed up!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 11:56pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Olfart Olfart wrote:

Clark:    I've been using a triple Surgeons knot to make the double shock lead in the braid - mainly because I am too ham-fisted!  Have tried to tie a Spider hitch to do the same job, but somehow I always end up with a mess... The Surgeons knot has not let me down so far.

The Triple Surgeons (TS) is a superb knot for it's strength to stability. It  is most probably the handiest line joining and loop making knot that can be done in a real hurry onboard a boat... not nesacarily to replace the Lefty's for fly or jig connection because that is just as fast, but for line joining and also double making...

The bimini as most everyone knows it is a thing to be done land bound by most anglers requiring two hands and usually one toe and one knee. However, a good friend of mine, Peter Morse from Australia evolved a method of tying a small bimini using only your hands and teeth. This proved a bit of an obstacle for me as I wear a partial denture, but time and experience now means I know exactly what two real teeth will hold the braid to tie of what Peter calls the "Guides Bimini"... it's a great thing to learn. We use it in many a[pplications in Saltwaterfly and it was natural to bring it with me as I have the occasional dabble with a softbait or two...

The TS will serve you well, very well and there is probably few reasons to part from it. But the Guide's Bimini is a just a great tool to have in your arnsenal and if nothing else, like the Yucatan... a fun thing to tie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:10am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by roddholder roddholder wrote:

bang on Clark, i noticed when i used to troll for trout with lures that the flouro was breaking off where it entered the eye of the lure. it simply wont stand the friction that nylon will. i tried making the hole smoother and drilled out to larger size etc. went back to nylon.....no more problems.
i check my flouro after EVERY fish now. its amazing how often you will find a tiny nick or flaw that would cause a breakage on the next fish.
i loose a lot less gear now, funny that!.

Rodholder... I'm probably to some degree on the first point, just arguing semantics, because I agree, essentially, totally with you. But I would say it is wear on fluoro not friction that causes the issue. If it were friction,... you;d be wetting your knotsWink.

One of the things that lead me to change to 100% fluoro in trout fishing, whether it be lake fishing or on a back country stream chucking dry flies at dumb rainbows... was it's abrasion resistance.

Some have argued this with me saying after a fish drags fluoro over a rock it feels very abraded and they are, of course, correct... it does. You have also landed the fish and have the photos.... You tie a new leader because you can tell this one is stuffed. Had you been using the mono in the same circumstance you would have, instead of leader feeling somewhat abraded, a cleanly broken leader that snapped on contact with the first obstacle and no photos but a good story of yet another monster that got away.

I believe there is a lot of marketing hype in the "invisibility factor" of fluoro, although I have no doubt it is less visible than mono. I don't believe the blanket statement that it doesn;t knot well, I accept totally that knots completely differently to mono.

I fish, as I am certain you do Rodholder, with the thought that the very next fish to take my fly, or that i might present a fly to, may just be the fish of the lifetime. This leaves no room for "She'll be right" It means, to me, that if I can tie a 98% knot instead of a 87% knot then I should. It means if one leader material gives me a 2% advantage over another I should take it... when else will I get to do battle with this fish?
One of my favourite quotes if from Sean Connery in the movie the Untouchables... "Trust a wop to bring a knife to a gunfight"... we all laugh at this, but when many go fishing they do exactly that. They fish not with the %age advantages but with the "cheap" line, the "look at the deal I got on these flies" and the "I can only tie this knot", knot...

When you gird your loins to take on that creature you've spent a lifetime dreaming about and pursuing... you better be ready.... and it might just happen on this drop???

I'm probably preaching to the converted here... but I felt like saying it anyway!LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 6:38am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the advice, Clark.  Thumbs%20Up

Unfortunately, the Guides Bimini may not be for me... as I wear full dentures   Big%20smile

Guess I will need to stick with the TS, Yucatan and TS (or Lefty's Loop) for my rigs.  The only failures I have been experiencing is bust offs just below the Yucatan when I have snagged my terminal tackle on a "rock fish".  I am using 6lb braid and 8lb leader so am thinking of upping the leader to something a little stronger - 15lb maybe...????

Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 8:48am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Cool That's probably some of the best advice I've heard Clark and I agree 100%, after all most 'the one that got away' stories are about massive fish busting us off - simply because of the size of the fish and NEVER due to crap technique or dodgy knots or other totally preventable gear failure.

Unfortunately I'm a 100% she'll be righter.... Big%20smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 11:28pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

one of the big differences is nylon "slips" and flouro dosent. try a fly with 6lb mono and a clinch knot with 3 turns. it will slip every time, weather you wet it or not. tie the same knot with flouro and dont wet it, and it wont slip.  repeat with an improved clinch knot and the nylon wont slip but the flouro will break off at about half the strain of the nylon.
when i tie my traces for trout jigging i use a tripple overhand knot and dont get knot failure. strong and wont slip.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 8:49am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

every knot you tie must be wet with spit so it pulls up tight...if you dont it will not be as good..this i can prove,ive got the use of a I.G.F.A. line testing machine which has the capabillity to slowly tension the line and keep going till some part of the knot or line breaks.If "nylon slips" the knot is not done correctly.Some if not all knots will tighten up a bit when tested due to the machine applying more pressure.Fluoro requires alot of lube and in the case of heavy fluoro you must use your fingers to help the knot tighten up.

If  you make shure every knot is well lubed,pulled up evenly and slowly and looks like it should when its finished you will have tied the knot to meet your expectations of the knots strength.The knot that i had alot of trouble with was the back to back uni.This was the hardest knot to tie well.I thought i was tying it well untill i put it on the tester,now i completly saturate the thing with spit before pulling tight.Havent had a failure since.tie every knot as if your about to catch a 20pder,if it doesnt  look right do it again.If the fluoro leader gets scuffed or nicked above your hook from a fish or the rocks retie it before another cast....
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 6:06am
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

.tie every knot as if your about to catch a 20pder,if it doesnt  look right do it again.If the fluoro leader gets scuffed or nicked above your hook from a fish or the rocks retie it before another cast....

Great advice hereClap
Skirt Pulla
Page  <12