Livebait- tube versus tank

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockhiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Livebait- tube versus tank
    Posted: 04 Jan 2008 at 9:08am
rockhiker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am looking at getting into some livebaiting out of the kayak.  It looks like a tank with aerator is the top of the line approach, but looks like a fair bit of mucking around.  Another option is the use of a bait tube.  This is a narrow tube of pvc with caps on the ends and some holes bored in it and strapped ot the side of the kayak.  The idea being the water flow through the tube keeps the livies alive, and then when you need a livebait, slide them out of the tube and away you go.

Has anybody had experience with either of these techniques?  Also what are the chances of a bait in the tube attracting Mr Bitey??  Any comments appreciated.

RH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2008 at 3:28pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bait in tube attracting bitey, Yes. I've had three little blues hanging around my tube before too.

I've done the chilli bin set up and it works great to keep the livies alive. BUT it can be a real mission trying to get the livies back out of the chilli bin behind you. I put an over flow drain on mine too otherwise it buggers your centre of gravity, mine kept fighting me and wanting to tip me out before puttin the drain in.

I'm currently tryin to make one of these.
I may end up just buying the purpose built ones if I can't get the bladder made for me though.

I love live baiting but a lot of my livies die on route to be fished so it's quite a pain. So now I have to try and settle for a bait cage and catching the livies as close to the fishing spot as possible
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2008 at 10:55pm
tuco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Used a PCV tube for a while. Put a nice live squid into it, popped the lid on, plonked it back in the water and watched the poor caged critter sink into the abyss.... The bloody knot had worked loose Dead

Two lessons learned;
1. The white PVC piping used did not float (standard bunnings stuff),
2. Tie a good knot and put some shrink tubing over it.

Other thing was that it would sometimes bump up against the yak (check your rope length), but it didn't create much drag when paddling. I'm going back to the bucket until I make squid death trap 1.1.

Cheers

ps. Just found this - http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/images/HowTos/Bait-Tube-f.jpg
but don't like the idea of the noise made each time it hits the side.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2008 at 7:53pm
skip View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have you seen these?

with one of these id imagine you could tie it round the yak with a bit of the old kiwi ingenuity before you left shore and you wouldnt get any banging and instead of having to lift it in and out like you do with the tube you just open lid.

and cheap as chips

http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/wire-live-bait-keeper-basket-p-2135.html

Skip
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2008 at 8:51pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's exactly what I'm using right now but I got it for $12 at the warehouse.
Its good but its not easy to paddle around with it, its best if your catching your livies close to where you're going to fish em.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008 at 6:25pm
tuco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That looks good, I wonder if you could lift it, half compressed, into a chilly bin when you move spots? Roughly what diameter is the thing badfish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008 at 7:03pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's about 600dia give or take. You can lift it easy as but it'll collapses completely when you put it down. You could just throw the livies into the bin with water while your paddling around. Sometimes thats all I do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008 at 8:03pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a 20l square plastic drum in the back of my Swing - fitted like a dream.  There should be some pics in the fitouts thread.

Cut a flap in the lid and drilled a line of holes around the side.  every 5 min or so I would grab the bailer and chuck a couple of loads of fresh water in with the excess just overflowing.  Worked fine for koheru & KY's up to around 1 - 1.5lb.

Made a livie tube, but never used it - free to good home if anyone wants it.
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 11:19am
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bumping this very old thread to ask what everyone is using now?

I've tried a bucket, the centre pod of the yak, and now thinking of a tube but perhaps there's a better option?

I quite liked the idea of the foam-core PVC tubes that float a bit. Would mean no weight on the yak, no aerator needed. But it might still scream 'come hither' to sharks and perhaps it will get in the way?

What is everyone using?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 3:59pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reload livebait pod. Yes it is an expensive buy but bloody hell it is superb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 7:21pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a plastic tube someone else made, works great for keeping mac's alive but lots of drag and also a pain to take livies out and put them in. It will have to do for now though as too expensive for me to get a livebait pod