Mangatangi

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlvinsDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mangatangi
    Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 8:42am
AlvinsDad View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi

On the way home from Thames we stopped in at Mangatangi, as we do. The kids were excited by the rabbits on the road, but no pheasants were seen this time. A couple of wild/escaped turkeys narrowly escaped becoming christmas dinner but that's another story.

It used to be great being able to drive right up to the top of the dam, making it a short flat walk to the fishing area. Now the bottom gate is locked at 3.30pm !!! We got there about 4 and were suitably gutted not to be able to drive right up. I would have walked up if I hadn't had the young kids with me.  Looks like a security company is running the gate now.

I imagine this is to do with preventing vandalism. Can't imagine hoons wanting to hike their crates of beer up that hill for the evening's nefarious activities.

It's pretty sad that the late afternoon fishing just got a lot harder to manage - esp with kids. I guess it's still okay to park outside the lower gate like in the old days.

Anybody know more about the new security arrangements? Like when it might be relaxed. Yeah right.... sigh.

Also i noticed a sign about areas of the hunuas being closed for pest work - SHOOTING ! What a cool job that would be over summer. Maybe dumping 1080 in Auckland's water catchment wouldn't be popular, with an election coming up.

cheers