tips for a beginer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tips for a beginer
    Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 8:54pm
Rockhopper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All

I've decided that Santa is going to get me a kayak for Christmas ....

Anyone like to give me some pointers as to appropriate clothing , safety features,  items to take and general useful ideas. A fishfinder is already on the list.

Andy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 9:20pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome back rockhopper, when was your last post??.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 10:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Ages ago... I got too depressed at having to spend 5 months single handedly refitting half the house I coundnt bring myself to read about the fishing reports.

All my gear is currently buried under GIB offcuts , odds of framing timber , bits of pipe and sealed in half an inch of plaster dust . The wife now has a bathroom which put the rest of the house to shame so I did a complete refit of the bedrooms as well. Upshot of which is the kitchen now needs a 10 thousand dollar refit to match everything else !! 

Thats it for this year I gotta get back on the water. Tinny would be nice but its a question of bang for your buck hence the kayak and what would be needed to kit out from scratch. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stingray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 7:06am
Stingray View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Rockhopper.  As far as clothing goes, I find that polypropelyne thermals are pretty good to keep you warm in winter.  Does'nt really help that much if there is a gale blowing, but is comfortable and does'nt restrict movements.  It also dries very quickly if you get dunked, and still seem to keep you warm even when wet.  When it is cold, I normally wear a thermal top under a t-shirt.  A good life jacket keeps most of the wind off. 

The other thing that I would not be without is a knife that is always handy.  I bought a cheap ($20) divers knife that has a sheath that I can strap to my leg.  This way, I always know where it is and can get to it in a hurry if I need to cut the anchor rope or some such thing, and it doubles as a bait knife.   A small waterproof torch is handy if you get caught after dark and you have a large boat barreling down on you.....

Just my thoughts, sure others will contribute their ideas.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 8:54am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

rockhopper, depending on weather i have a cheap wetsuit for colder days. adds a bit of floatation as well if you get dunked(not yet for me). on hot day i wear fast drying shorts or nylon running pants. i have found the sunburn factor a serious issue, so also wear long sleeve rash shirts and sunblock anything exposed.
like stingray says have a knife handy, certainly if your trying out a way of anchoring, which is the next point. i didn't have an anchor set up last season and it caused alot of stress. becuase kayaks slip over the tide easily, on those wind against tide days i could barely get my bait to the bottm. this year i'll be sorting out both a sea anchor and a regular anchor.
also i found storage a benefit. i don't like taking the hatches off to get things or put thinga way. thats for my dry stuff. so i sorted out a bin that straps to the back of my kayak.
ok, need some breakfast(coffee) now, hope i said something usefull!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 9:59am
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use a wetsuit and you must have sometype of lifejacket if you get drowned cause of no life jacket your an egg,,,,,,,,I nearly always anchor up now it makes it easier to stop them big ones.....Knife is a must and i recommend a pair of cycling gloves so you can grab fish if you have too......Really good idea to strap a bottle of water to your boat too itll get real thirsty if the sun comes out....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 10:45am
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rockhopper,

Couple of questions for you mate.

1. Do you intend to fish solely from the Kayak or use it to access the rocks?

2. Age/Health/Weight?

3. Budget?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 12:05pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All

I suspect I'll be fishing from it most of the time. I live between St Heliers beach and the Tamaki estuary so I'm thinking of beach launch working along Rangitoto shoreline to Browns

Age mid 30's , health , probably below par , weight about 70Kg , 1m 90 (5ft11') tall

Budget , keeping to the essentials , lets see how far we get for 1500 excluding any electronics.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 2:06pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The boat to go with is a Perception Swing. You can pick up a fully outfitted boat and a decent paddle for just over $1500.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stingray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 2:38pm
Stingray View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I agree with HellFish, the Peception Swing is a great boat, but make sure that you are comfortable in it.  A long day on the water becomes really long if you are not comfortable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 3:40pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I second the Perception Swing also, it's a stable & easy to paddle kayak.

If you do get a Swing, fit it with the Cobra Hi-Back seat and you'll be far more comfortable than with the standard Perception seat.

Fit a Scotty 250 rod holder on the centre console just below the water bottle straps and you can troll while paddling and still be able to reach the rod when you get a strike. Flush mount rod holders behind the seat are only good for transporting the rods, not for fishing from, as you'll probably end up capsizing trying to pull a rod out with a big fish hooked on.

Good luck & good fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 4:41pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The scotty rod holder aye dogfish top piece of kayak equipment just got one given to me by a mate who came back from canada,they fish their lakes heaps from kayak..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 7:18pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When you mount your Scotty, Give forethought to what type of fishfinder you're going to have and where it needs to be mounted.

Generally mounting your scotty on the center console is the ticket. BUT if you plan to use a fish finder with bells and whistles and you need to push buttons. Mount the scotty foredeck and leave space for the electonics on the console.

Here Here to the point on comfort. Fortunately, the Swing is comfortable for about 75% of the people.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 9:08pm
pland View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Guys

Looked at the www.scotty.com site - these rod holders look quite good. Who sells them in Auckland.

I have some flush mounted - but these are more for transporting than anything else. 

Gloves are essential for dealing to grumpy fish - they give some protection to the hands from paddles (for those of us used to phones , keyborads & pens during our working hours).

Aquapack for the cellphone is a good investment.

I have also fitted lights to the kayaks - the higher ones about a metre , from fergs. Don't bother with the short ones , by the time you are seen it will be too late.

Pland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stingray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2003 at 7:03am
Stingray View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I agree, the flush mounted rod holders are just good for transporting rods.  The Scotty rod holders look neat - wil have to get one.  In the meantime, I have found that the butt of my 6 kg rod fits nicely into the drainage holes of the Swing.  I have adjusted the footrests of the Swing back a bit so that I can use one of the holes right in the front, in front of the footrests. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2003 at 9:15pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

pland,

Hunting & Fishing New Zealand stock the Scotty products here in New Plymouth, so I would assume that their Auckland branches/franchises will also have them.

Any marine or tackle shop that sells electric downriggers should be able to source them.