Playing Fish From A Kayak

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing Fish From A Kayak
    Posted: 02 Oct 2003 at 4:40pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

G'day all,

For you Kayak fisho's, I'd like to pose some questions about how you play a fish from your kayak?

1. Are you right or left handed?

2. What side do you bring your fish up on?

3. Gaff or Net for landing?

4. Do you Iki or club your fish?

5. How do you store your fish until you're back to shore?

Please separate out and number your answers accordingly to the order asked. The reason to my asking the question is I'm going to get us some top notch proper instruction If needed.

Cheers

HF

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2003 at 8:43pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1) left handed.

2) left side.

3)haven't needed either yet, which is good cause haven't thought about it.

4)have released most caught from kayak so far, but will kill lots soon. iki!

5)thought about hanging overboard in a mesh bag, divers bag. maybe not iki then, as i hate the idea of a mako grabbing it and pulling. i have a big bin that straps into a well on the back, but how to keep em cold? thats why i thought of hanging then in water. would like to hear ideas from others.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 7:05am
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good on ya John you know what you're doing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stingray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 7:28am
Stingray View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

1.  Right handed

2.  Left side

3.  Not used either

4.  Iki. 

5.  At the moment I just drop them into the well at the back and cover with a wet cloth.  Keep the cloth wet and evaporation will help keep the fish cool.  Would not normally keep too many, though.  Easyier when the wife goes with in her kayak.

Hellfish, another interesting question is the use of berley on the kayak.  I have used a berley bag from the kayak, until a friend told me of his experience in a tinny where a shark attacked the berley.  Don't want that to happen on a kayak....  The other probem on the kayak is storing the berley when moving position.  I tried using tinned cat food, as the tin is easyier to handle on the kayak.  Just puncture the tin a few times, tie some rope to it an dangle over the side.  Not yet too sure how effective, though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 11:48am
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

maybe a breakaway system is needed where you attach you burly with a much lighter line than usual so it will break before enough force is exerted on the kayak to make it tip.

b.m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 11:59am
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi guys, tinned catfood seems to work fine as berley... I'd probably go for the seafood stuff.
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 12:05pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

• 1) dont matter which hand i like beggers cant be chosers                           2)Depends which way fish ran (keep both sides of yak clear just in case                                                                    3)Gaff the big ones and just grab smaller ones with gloved left hand.                                             4)iki them                                             5)store em in hatch behind me with ice packs               6)hang burley off the side of the yak on about a metre of rope have had a few bronzies get a little beligerant with burley sack but keep a knife handy and cut it off if shark gets stroppy with it ,but often get the snapper bashing the burley bag and this is fun to watch.. have a bin in hatch behind me to sit burley in when moving................................................................................................... P.s how the F*#k do you get to number,and list sh*t on this poxy machine                                                                                             

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 1:56pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

New Techniques to try.

If you are right handed reeling with your right hand and fighting with your left, reel in on the right hand side. Vice Versa for the Left. When You net or gaff your fish you'll have full range of motion with your dexterious hand. Doing this allows for maximum balance and coordination.

I've been told countless times not to hang burly off the side of the Kayak. A Mako or Bronzie will not be as intimidated by the kayak as they would with a bigger shadow in the water from a larger boat.

Also, instead of fish foul, use pig pellets soaked in fish oil hung from a float away from the yak.

Give it a try and let me have some feedback?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 2:31pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeehah, kayak fishing sounds even better to me now... I'm ambidexterious!

HellFish, what's the diff between the fish foul and pig pellets? Good idea keeping it away and not connected straight to the kayak!
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 3:42pm
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kayak Fishing does have it's moments. A great past time up in the Rangauna Harbour where there is a heap of large stingrays was to have a harpoon or spear made up. Tied to a long 100 kg trace and inturn attached to the front of the kayak. Hold the spear and Slowly drift a long. When you see a good sized stingray plant your harpoon in near the tail and hold on tight. It's a great adrenaline Buzz and faster than paddling I can gaurantee that!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 4:00pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Never mind pig pellets can food or all the other derivatives,hang a 10kg sack of straight minced pillies over the side or on a bouy if a shark comes throw him a bait and brush up on your playing the fish skills..................

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 7:41pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

KingfishSi, the difference is that the Pig Feed doesn't have the blood in it which really gets a rise out of a Shark.

BFH. I like the idea!  

You try it first?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 8:48pm
Mr Bean View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tomsta is stopping a problem??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2003 at 3:57pm
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Andrew, Stopping generally isn't a problem. The ray will either tire after several hundred meters.. or so..., go again... stop again, then when its buggered you can retrieve the spear. or the spear will come out if you put enough pressure on... ie/ back paddle. Pays to have the paddle attached by a slight rope so that you don't loose it. Direction on the other hand.... well generally they would go away from the kayak as they perceived that as the threat... so in other words don't spear one behind the kayak.... thats better known as the flip and spin side. This is the kind of thing that I used to do in the teenage years.... when I never had a power boat.... Now I'm a Green man.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2003 at 6:11pm
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Enjoying the berley discussion.

After releasing something like 200kg total of school shark at Cape Reinga and successfully boating (read measure my kayak against!) a 150kg bronzie I started to change my mind about tying berley to my yak. The final straw was visitation by a 300kg class mako off Cape Brett. After sucking the kayak up my butt and walking on water, I became fimly convinced that berley is best attached to something else.

Funny how you can see a mako's teeth as it swims along. I can't decide if it was pleased to see me or simple laughing at my antics!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2003 at 6:42pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is that why you've been walking funny? And here I thought you were the Messiah.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2003 at 7:07pm
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mate!

When that pitch black eye coldly glares at you from the clear blue depths, you either make yourself very very VERY small or get the H.... out of there. I run faster than I can paddle so I thought the best option was follow His example!