Lake PUPUKE

Page  <1 121314
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheWonderStuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:21pm
TheWonderStuff View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi
I must get down to this lake. Anyone know if this comp is on again this year? (The annual Lake Pupuke Challenge)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:01am
Fishwhisperer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sorry for the slow reply, yes it is on.
It will probably be the first or second Sunday in May.
It is usually timed to happen a couple of weeks after the annual Trout release.
Same deal as normal, no entry fee, just need to show a licence at weigh in, all legal methods are accepted.
It will be run by the North Shore Flyfishers Club as usual.
I will put something on here once we have a firm date.

Also, a few Club Members have been down there in the hour before dark and have seen some very solid fish rising quite aggressively.
To Caddis maybe???

Cheers
Duncan 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheWonderStuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 10:29pm
TheWonderStuff View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks, hope its the second Sunday.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 5:13pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Just heard from Dennis Smith and he tells me the dates just need to be finalised. As soon as I hear will post them here or feel free to do so if anyone has them confirmed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:41pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was at Lake P. today to watch the Masters Games (Dragon Boat Racing) - an amazing vantage point from up on the hill by the boat ramp - and overheard a German asking "if zer ver any feesh in za lake" so I advised I had read on here that there was, in fact, a fishing competition taking place in the near future.

A passing Canuck/Kiwi who was in the Canadian (old) Mens team commented that he was part of the crew (with lots of kids) who released 30,000 trout into the lake a fortnight (or so) ago. He reckoned many were 'This big'. (Holds hands 10-12 inches apart). Hug

So, good luck to all the fishos!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 2:43pm
Silver
Silver

I think the Canuck may have been spreading it a bit thing.
Fish and game did the release on Thursday and it was meant to be 1000 Rainbows and 100 Browns.

Cheers
Duncan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 3:07pm
Gold
Gold

Sounds better Dunc. Thumbs Up

How do people fish this lake competition? From the shore or on boats? There doesn't look to be many shore access points but the boat ramp could get a bit crowded.

I don't suppose my softbaiting rod would be much good but it might be fun to watch the weigh-in anyway.

(Newbie questions - Don't growl at me.) Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:03am
Silver
Silver

Best places to fish for me, would be the Pumphouse wharf or the Hospital Wharf. Other good places are Sylvan Park, where the fish are released each year, (if the Windsurfing school is not too busy), and the gap between the Quarry and the Lake beside the Kayak / Canoeing Club. Also the hospital Wharf, if you can get onto it.

At this time of year, floating or sinking tip lines for me. And the Wooly Bugga works all year round, but if you are fishing off the Wharfs and there has been rain then try a Black and Peacock on a short dropper as a snail imitation.

Cheers
Duncan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:08am
Silver
Silver

For the Comp, the boats definitely seem to have the best success but fish are still caught from the shore. No outboards though, paddle power or Electric motor.

If you want to use your soft bait rod, no problem at all. All legal methods are fine for the comp. However, as I understand it you can't use scented soft baits like the Gulps, but to be sure have a read of the regs on the Fish and Game website.

Cheers
Duncan 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:44am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Foxtrot Oscar Foxtrot Oscar wrote:

Sounds better Dunc. Thumbs Up

How do people fish this lake competition? From the shore or on boats? There doesn't look to be many shore access points but the boat ramp could get a bit crowded.

I don't suppose my softbaiting rod would be much good but it might be fun to watch the weigh-in anyway.

(Newbie questions - Don't growl at me.) Embarrassed

You can use a conventional rod & line using a bubble float then a swivel, with a trout hook suspended about a mtr or so beneath it.

Bait can be worm, a section of noodle or a small ball of compressed white bread. However a problem with the above baits is that they are likely to fly off the hook when cast so need some way of securing them on ( have heard super glue works sometimes ) or if wind in the right direction simply let that take the line out.

Or you could simply cast the bubble with a lightly weighted fly suspended underneath using either "heave or leave" or a slow retrieve.

Be aware you will need a F & G licence.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:57am
Gold
Gold

Thanks Dunc & Bazza. I think I can buy licence at Top Catch. F&G website is next port of call.
I have a small box of trouty-fly-looking little hooks & lures that i got at a garage sale. Not good for snapper apparently so that's what I think I'll try with. A couple of little floaty-thingys in the box too.
Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 5:00pm
Silver
Silver

Hi All,

The Pupuke Challenge is on this Sunday, the 24th.
Details as per below.

North Shore Fly Fishers Inc. announces a fishing competition to be held on Sunday 25th  June 2017 from 7:00am to 3:30pm. The objective is to promote Lake Pupuke as a fishing spot and to obtain some data about fish numbers, size and condition that will assist the Auckland / Waikato Fish and Game Council in the management of the Lake Pupuke fishery.
- No entry fee or registration. All participants (including juniors) must present a current Fish & Game Licence to collect prizes.
- Any legal fishing method. Sports Fishing Regulations must be observed.
- Weigh-in at the Sylvan park reserve, on the elevated area near the car park and toilet block from 3:30 pm. Estimated length of undersized trout or trout that were released would be also appreciated. Prize giving shortly thereafter.
- Anglers keep fish.
- No litter to be left in the water or on the land.
- No motorboats permitted on the Lake. Anyone using watercraft is requested to observe water safety regulations and use a life jacket.
- Anglers participate at their own risk. An adult must supervise children under 12 years of age.

Cheers
Duncan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:24pm
Silver
Silver

Hi All,

The Pupuke Challenge is due to be held again this year. It will be on Sunday, the 22nd of April.
Details as per below.

North Shore Fly Fishers Inc. announces a fishing competition to be held on Sunday 22nd  April 2017 from 7:00am to 3:30pm.

The objective is to promote Lake Pupuke as a fishing spot and to obtain some data about fish numbers, size and condition that will assist the Auckland / Waikato Fish and Game Council in the management of the Lake Pupuke fishery.

- No entry fee or registration. All participants (including juniors) must present a current Fish & Game Licence to collect prizes.
- Any legal fishing method. Sports Fishing Regulations must be observed.
- Weigh-in at the Sylvan park reserve, on the elevated area near the car park and toilet block from 3:30 pm. Estimated length of undersized trout or trout that were released would  also be appreciated. Prize giving shortly thereafter.
- Anglers keep fish.
- No litter to be left in the water or on the land.
- No motorboats permitted on the Lake. Anyone using watercraft is requested to observe water safety regulations and use a life jacket.
- Anglers participate at their own risk. An adult must supervise children under 12 years of age.

Cheers
Duncan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:31pm
Silver
Silver

ALSO:

Fish and Game Auckland / Waikato will be doing the annual release of Trout into Lake Pupuke at Sylvan Park on Thursday the 19th April.

This usually takes place around 11.30 - 12.00 in the morning. Exact timing depends on how much traffic the fish tanker encounters in the drive up from the Ngongotaha hatchery.

This release is deliberately timed to take place during the school holidays and Fish and game encourage parents / grandparents to bring the kids along and experience the release. From experience of past releases the kids really enjoy it.

Cheers
Duncan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Good Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:40am
Good Brother View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All,

Fish and Game Auckland / Waikato will be doing the annual release of Trout into Lake Pupuke at Sylvan Park on Tuesday the 16th April.

This usually takes place around 11.30 - 12.00 in the morning. Exact timing depends on how much traffic the fish tanker encounters in the drive up from the Ngongotaha hatchery.

This release is deliberately timed to take place during the school holidays and Fish and game encourage parents / grandparents to bring the kids along and experience the release. From experience of past releases the kids really enjoy it.

Adam Daniel, the Fish & Game Manager (Fisheries) will have numerous raffle prizes and giveaways for children and also set-up rods for children to have a go" at catching a fish.

Cheers

Duncan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:30am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My son rows for takapuna grammar and I was asked to donate my boat as an umpire boat for the day at the recent head of harbour rowing regatta. This involved launching my stabi 1850 frontier at the rowing club and driving up and down the course behind the rowers all day. I have a 1kw transducer and had it on most of the time to have a little look at what was there. Huge amount of fish - mainly on the pumphouse side of the lake- stacked up in big schools - with some big specimens showing on the furuno accufish readouts. Not so many on the milford side of the lake. If it was me and the weather was calm enough - rowing out using pat swift jig rigs at the 20-30m depth level would be the go. 
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SundanceKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 11:15am
SundanceKid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anybody know if I still need a fishing license if I am only specifically targeting Carp in lake Pupuke? I won't be fishing for trout but what happens if I catch one by accident?
My wife says she'll leave me if I go fishing again - HELL, I"LL MISS HER!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 11:58pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

if there's trout in the water. You need a license.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 8:08am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kenshin Kenshin wrote:

if there's trout in the water. You need a license.

I'm not sure that's true. Do you need a licence to fish for eels in rivers that contain trout? Best to contact F&G.

EDIT: You need a licence for tench and perch (and rudd in Auckland), so that complicates things. Easy to say you are not after trout when carp fishing, but tench? It would be good to hear what F&G have to say. Our freshwater fishing regulations are a mess!
Page  <1 121314