Hi from HD

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Heavy Drag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from HD
    Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 2:52pm
Heavy Drag View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hello gents, I'm another Yank on this forkin' trip with First Watch and have a different question. Am told that the waters we'll be fishing are renown for their rough and confused nature. Is this true or am I being BS'd? How rough is rough? I only ask because I am not prone to seasickness, in fact, some of the medications for seasickness make me sick! The exception is water that move up, down and all around. I can handle a bow to stern, side to side or up and down rocking...it's when all three collide that I lose weight astern. If the waters in January are truly wild, I might start looking for a medication that doesn't make me call Ralph. Don't wanna travel that far only to be green with my face in a pillow, ya know? The kings sound like big fun and I am looking forward to seeing if they pull as hard as our big Baja YFT.

Also, I cannot locate any good photos of the Pursuit or real info on her size, layout, etc. What is she?

Thanks guys. Great website ya got here, nice friendly place.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 3:37pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi ya HD,

Welcome!....I will see if I can get Capt. Pollock on here to answer a few of your question...try the link below for a picture of Pursuit and a small amount of info about her!

http://www.fishing.net.nz/charters/details.cfm?CharterID=19

IMHO...I would say lb for lb our kings will give any YFT a run for their money..all I can say we are lucky they don't get up to the 100kg mark...would be in big trouble then!!

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 3:55pm
Grant View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

HD,

might as well cover off two birds with one stone.

See my pic under the Kingie Thread, apart from the fish the sea behind is moderate.  Pretty typical of what you might expect. In conditions like this generally most anglers who fish once a year are fine.

You don't generally get huge seas, and theres always somewhere clam to

anchor for the night.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 4:37pm
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hd,

the weather is usually good but when its bad it can be very bad. one thing that you have to notice though is that Pollock and his crew on Pursuit are very experienced and are out in that area so much they know what to do. but you will most probably get seas of around a meter but it depends on the weather.

b.m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 4:47pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HD
welcome (for when you get here) I have fished White Island a lot and have had days that are dead calm and days of 3 meter seas but when your into a King fish out there, there is noway you can call out to "Ralph". bring your best pills and take a couple the day before you depart. Let us know how you get on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Heavy Drag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 5:37pm
New User
New User

Thanks guys. Nice looking boat! I appreciate the link to the photo. 3 meters? Heck, that's fine as long as it isn't a confused sea. I don't get green until it's over 14'. I also took a look at the map and it appears that White would offer quite a bit of shelter from the weather if needed so I'm very comfortable now. Whew!

Now, so I can figure out what to pack...how many pounds in a KG? LOL!

Really looking forward to fishing your neck of the woods. Seems like my kinda place. Of course, any place with big fish, boats, beer and buddies is my kinda place. <g>

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote First_watch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 5:55pm
First_watch View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bruce,

Here's write up on the Charter operation (found it on this site) which you'll find of interest. Looks like Steve picked a good one.

http://www.fishing.net.nz/editorial/index.cfm?view=yes&editorialID=177

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Heavy Drag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 10:44am
New User
New User

Well that got me JAZZED!

Really can't wait for January now!! (Jan is a crappy month for fishing here).

Anybody on this board in the food business? Retail, wholesale or food service? If I can pick up a customer while I'm down there I can write this trip off my taxes! Gotta company that bottles a line of honey-jalapeno sauces...goes great with fish!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 11:12am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I will need a sample, H.D.!...My "better half" is in the wholesale food industry (purchasing)!

PS..although jalapenos are for pussies...Habanero (Scotch Bonnet) are the real deal matey!!...  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Master Jig Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 12:53pm
Master Jig Builder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

G'day HD. Looks like the crew here have solved the fluxing sea issue for you already and am glad to hear it.

I cannot wait for this trip. FYI one and all, the boat is booked for 17-21 Jan and I plan to fly over from Oz on the 15th or 16th so I can hook up with the group as they fly in. We have 5 US anglers, me and one other Aussie (Craig) who are all ready and primed for a good fishing time in NZ.
Burnin Thumbs!

Steve Badman
Master Jig Builder - Oz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 11:11pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

HD, my brother owns a pharmacutical manufacturing business.  They have a new sea sick remedy in the form of a gel which you can smear behind the ear. Only takes 2 minutes to react so you only need to take them before you say "Ralph" into that big white telephone! ;)

Besides, White Is. or the RB is only a few hours away from calmer inshore water.

ChrisW

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2002 at 6:12am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chris
Time to act as a salesman
whats it called and where do you get it?
I have a real good mate that is sick and tired of us feeding him all sorts of fish meals in the few days before we go on a weekend trip just to confirm a ready burly supply, It may be inconvienent to clear a corner of the cockpit but its a regular flow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2002 at 8:41am
jerm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi HD

Sea sickness. I too sometimes suffer from this nasty affliction (my boat has a mighty cork action) but fish hard regardless. I'm not ashamed about it - it's just a bloody pain in the backside. There are a number of different products available on the market over here and you'll find that some will work and others will not. "Sea Legs" are a pill available from most pharmacies which will work better than most but the rolls royce of medication would have to be the Paihia Bombs. At $2 a dose they will work for you for a 24hr period and consist of 2 pills - only catch is that they can only be bought from the phamacy at Paihia, Bay of Islands. They are by far the best medication for sea sickness so if you find yourself in the area, grab a few as they will work for you.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote First_watch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2002 at 8:52am
First_watch View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I don't know if any of you guys have seen these sea sick watches, but I've seen these in action and they actually work. They even work on someone who is already hit with 'sea sickness' and turns what could be a bad day completely around.

I don't know if these are sold locally, but they have recieved some real positive reviews here in the states.

Cheers, Bill

Prevention

Seasickness isn't fun.  Over the years several methods have been used to combat the plague, with differing levels of effectiveness.  I'd suggest reading the article from Paul Carnes, M.D., in the Journal section of CharkBait regarding seasickness.  We have several products available to deal with this distasteful issue.  All the products have their devotees, but don't ask me.  I've lived long enough as a bachelor now that there's very little that can result in my stomach giving up it's contents.  But, Beth knows all about this stuff.  Give her a call at the shop for her personal take on the ailment's prevention. 

- Relief Band - This is worn like a wrist watch, you are able to adjust the amount of electrical stimulation to match the way you're feeling. The Relief band operates on a similar principle to the Sea-Band, but improves upon it's application.  There are two versions of this product, one with a replaceable battery, one that's disposable after over 34 hours use. I know of several guides who keep one of these things on their boat for clients who begin to go green.  They slap it on, and have supported it's effectiveness. On one of our recent CharkBait Charters I saw this device work a miricle.  One of the guys got green behind the gills almost as soon as we left the harbor. In the morning things had not gotten any better.  We slapped on of these "zappers" on him. Within one minute he was smiling. Within three minutes he'd hooked up his first albie.  The only downside was that I was unable to get him to take the thing off until we were back inside the harbor... Knew I should have bought the replaceable battery model...!  These things work.

- Sailors' Secret - Ginger has been used for a long time to combat motion sickness.  For many people this supplement has proven quite effective.  Each pack contains 36 capsules of Premium Ginger.  Take 4 caps an hour before departure, repeat every 4 hours as necessary.  No side effects (but if you happen to be a pregnant woman or child under 6 talk to an MD prior to use.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GrahamT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2002 at 1:34pm
GrahamT View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Paihia Bombs

Yes  I will certainly endorse the effectiveness of these. I have seen them used on many occasions and they have a reputation second to none.

By far and away the best sea/motion sickness preventors I have yet come across

I prefer Parkinson to Alzheimer - I'd rather spill my beer than forget to drink it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Master Jig Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2002 at 3:12pm
Master Jig Builder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

ChrisW, I would be interested in knowing more about the gel application as well. Website?

Would also like to know what the active ingredients are as too.

While I don't get crook, I know plenty that do and yes, the P-Bombs are the only medication I have seen settle even the worse case of motion sickness.

They are a solid medication that I recommend to many.
Burnin Thumbs!

Steve Badman
Master Jig Builder - Oz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2002 at 4:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hiya Graham T. I must say that you dont really live up to the promise of your picture thingy! (avatar).

Just thought I would say hi as havent seen you round hewre for a while.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Heavy Drag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2002 at 12:11pm
New User
New User

I will need a sample, H.D.!...My "better half" is in the wholesale food industry (purchasing)!

Send his info to me at [email protected] okay?

PS..although jalapenos are for pussies...Habanero (Scotch Bonnet) are the real deal matey!!...  

I agree! Prefer the orange burn myself but the market's saturated with HOT sauce...ours is very different and is incredibly versatile.

People are using it on beef, pork, lamb, chicken, duck, turkey, fish, pancakes, sushi & tempura, lobster & shrimp, eggs, rice, in sandwiches and on hotdogs, with pasta and salads, it�s amazing to us the number of ways in which creative cooks are using this product. It�s a dipping sauce, marinade, a condiment, a dessert topping, a finishing sauce or glaze, a bar-b-que sauce, folks are even making vinaigrettes out of it!

If had some sauces from OZ that truly hurt. Habanero can be a good thing if not overdone...then it becomes a fluid best preserved for pepper spray canisters.

One of the things I love about Jazz is reading the e-mails from people who have experimented with it and shared their "discoveries" with us. One guy mixed it with cream cheese for a dip...when I tried it, I hit the roof! It was excellent!

I'll get some samples out to your 1/2 bro first chance I get.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2002 at 12:37pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

H.D...

I have passed your info on my wife...she will contact you directly for samples etc etc!..Sounds like a nifty product you have yourself there mate...look forward to playing "lab-rat"!

...was only joking re: "although jalapenos are for pussies"....I once got a bleeding nose from touching a Habanero on my tongue...freakshow...no wonder "they" use it as the main ingredient pepper spray!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2002 at 8:28pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Steve. 

will post  details soon on another thread. 

ChrisW