VMC Vanadium EWG Worm Hooks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VMC Vanadium EWG Worm Hooks
    Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 7:21am
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys,

I bought in quite a few of these hooks from the states and so far they seem to be a pretty good hook. They are the VMC Vanadium EWG (Extra Wide Gap).

Similar shape to the gammies but they aren't as flimsy and have a slightly wider gap.

They sit nicely in most baits up to about 6" as the are size 4/0 see pic below of 3" Squidgy Flick Bait, 3" Atomic Jerk Minnow, 5" Berkley Jerk Shad and 5" Lunker Fin-S.

If anyone is interested in these, I have about 5 packs spare which you guys can buy if you like. there are 25hooks/pack and at $20 including overnight courier anywhere in NZ is pretty good value I think.

Can PM me or give me a call if you are interested on 021466321.

Cheers,

Josh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 10:03am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishslayer - I'm in - please pm me with how we can meet and arrange payment.

Will be having sp meeting my place next week if we can't meet b4 then - u free for a fish sunday am?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 12:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

No worries Russ!, they will be with you tomorrow. Off to Gold Coast Sunday morning and will be away for 8 days but keen as for a fish sometime when I get back, will PM you for more details etc.

Sorry to those who's calls I missed earlier, was in a seminar with phone on silent.

I have 2 packets left if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 1:45pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i'll grab a pack fishslayer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 1:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

No worries CanadianJohn, you have just purchased the last packet (which is at home so won't be able to send it till tomorrow) Can you just PM me with your details and I will put it on an overnight courier to you tomorrow.

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 3:04pm
Platinum
Platinum

For those who have just bought these hooks, here is a little info on the vanadium hooks taken from the VMC website..

With a fusion temperature of 1750�C, Vanadium is a metal too tough to be used pure. Once alloyed with a high carbon steel, it becomes revolutionary. For not only is vanadium tough, it is light (denisity of 5.7 to be exact). Which is why it is used for hard-wearing Formula One engine parts. Vanadium is twice as costly as HC80 carbon steels used for regular hooks, but offers tremendous performance gains when hardened and tempered properly: up to 25% increased strength!

Going by this it sounds as though they will stand up to the bigger fish a bit better without snapping on ya like the gammies tend to do. Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 3:07pm
bluefox_13 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

bugger, was keen for a pack off you fishslayer.... Ah well the early bird catches the worm
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 3:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

I might bring some more in if they prove to be a good hook so will let ya know if I do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 4:01pm
snap View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've seen VMC extra worm hooks (fatter ones like kezzas) at norcross in henderson 4 and 5/0 hooks. A bit more expensive than kezza tho!

Great hooks with the point staying sharp for longer than any other I have tried!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 4:25pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

really Snap?....are they the exact same or do they have a straight shank?

becuase I now find out much to my horror that the VMC EWG (thick gauge) reversed barbed jobbies are a deleted line....WTF?..I very much hoping it aint true...would be a real shame!

in the meantime I have about 500 odd of the VMC Vanadium EWG's in 4/0 available.....FishSlayer....send me a PM if interested and we can haggle over the price if you want the lot or I'll break them down in to 100s and flick them off for $70 each....anyone interested just let me know.

they are certainly better than the Gammies in my opinion, but still nowhere near the '10ft tall and bullet proof' wormies I know and love...just a bit to flexiable at the business end!

Signed

*Depressed of Kelston"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 4:29pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bugger a deleted line huh, thats a shame they are a sh it hot hook too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 4:31pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

tell me about it...not happy at all.....even waved about a few juicy carrots of XOS orders to no avail....

I need counselling...where art thou Jack Daniels, meths and/or sleeping pils!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 7:53pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about some PR on a certain fishing show slaying big Reds with those worm beasties......Wink Even big companies couldn't resist those golden carrots....could they...............QuestionQuestionQuestion.

Jack, that reminds me I have a new bottle of Gentleman tucked away  Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 8:09am
Platinum
Platinum

Well I shot out for a quick fish after work yesterday to test out these hooks, it was a bit lumpy and only got about 1 hours fishin in before the wind went against the tide and screwed up our drift but we managed 5 fish with this one being the biggest at 48cm

These hooks are pretty good, nice n sharp and hang on well.

The softie of the day definitely goes to the 85mm Squidgy Flick Bait!. Kezza you were right mate, these little suckers are awesome!.

Kezza I have also heard from a couple of places in the US that those VMC EWG with reverse barb are now obsolete Cry Why why why!! silly buggers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 8:12am
snap View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll take one of yours in Kezza and compare. The look the part tho!

Will report back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 8:50am
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Kezza, I have also got some other VMC worm hooks which I bought from my local store in Pukekohe. They are of a thicker gauge with a wide gap but have the barb on the normal side. The shank on the hook is sorta square though not round like normal ones. Very strong hooks!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2007 at 6:33pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see today that Rebel now sell the VMC 'Carolina special' x strong wormies (7317BN) in the 2/0, 4/0 and 5/0 flavours.......I still like the reversed jobbies but these are also mega sharp and strong as pa Jeezus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 9:08am
Platinum
Platinum

Choice more goodies, will have to go and take a look at them on my lunch break. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 12:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Moocha,

I just got back from Rebels and these are the exact same hooks I have been using for the last 6 weeks (been buying them in plastic bags for $9.95 so didn't know which type of VMC they were) but haven't been able to get them in 5/0 until now. Cheers for letting us know mate Thumbs%20Up

They are very very good hooks!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 1:47pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No worries mate Thumbs%20Up