IM5,IM6,IM7,IM8...I am confused

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IM5,IM6,IM7,IM8...I am confused
    Posted: 01 Nov 2006 at 8:27pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

New rods coming out all the time for sp's longer (yup I get the reason for that), better guides (yup I get that to). Load curves in one peice rods vs two peice rods I get that to.

But the higher graphite content in the rods IM6-IM8 what does it mean for Joe Bloggs average  mad keen SP fisho ? 

Flexability, durability....what ????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2006 at 9:21pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Good topic, good question Moocha.
Hope we get someone from the trade to explain the advantages/dis-advantages.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2006 at 9:44pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got my new rod today Moocha,
Going out tomorow avo and break it in...
Hope it dosnt break like my mates ian miller did tonight...mmmm 4th ian miller ive seen broken,this one has,nt been point loaded either..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2006 at 10:00pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Very basically, as graphite fibres developed , they got stiffer & stronger.  Each newer generation graphite were given names - IM6 succesively to IM8 with the improving graphite producing stiffer, stronger & lighter rods.  This converts to improved casting performance - as seen in fly rod technology.  Also more dollaros.

I think that IM7 is rated as a 44 million ton graphite - graphite is stronger than steel therefore can be given a specification rating that is similar to steel.  Somebody convert that into something us fishos understand please!
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 8:43am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great question Moocha. Something that I've been confused about too.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 3:24pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yup IM6 softer less springy, IM8 harder more springy.  Then you have the diffferent tapers on rods, then you have to remember that you need a softer rod for braid than you would for nylon.

Frankly if you speak to 20 differnet fishos you'll get 20 opinions about "the best" combinaton. If you speak to 100 you might get consensus from 10 of them. As for me I'm still catching as many fish as I want with boring old 10Kg nylon and an 8 foot fibre glass/graphite rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BarneyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 7:45pm
BarneyC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Moocha

From that SP seminar Pure Fishing gave the impression I got was the higher the number:

- the better sensitivity and response
- the more delicate (don't drop it or bang it against anything)
- the higher the price

Simple enough?

From experience high modulus fly rods are light as, super powerful but oh so very very fragile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 9:45am
firefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think the high modulas thing for fly rods has been overhyped by manufacturers "my rod is stiffer than yours".Only one place I like a stiff rod and it ain't fishingWink. Different people prefer different actions. For fly casting I like a moderate action fly rod that can flex through its length as you can feel the line load and unload but others prefer high modulas tip action rods. Sage fly rods actually market their rods to different casting styles. If high modulas was the only way to cast a fly well you wouldn't have poeple spending thousands on soft action hand made split cane rods. I have whippy trout rod that I like for flicking light jig heads as you can feel the rod load when casting.