First crack at SPs at Matarangi

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First crack at SPs at Matarangi
    Posted: 24 Oct 2006 at 1:31pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi guys,
A few questions came out of my first attempt of using SPs. Ended up with a limit of snaps to 8 pound so no complaints there on day on. Most of them caught by mate using baits. I was determined to up skill on SPs. With the baits going off all the time I new the fish were there.

I cast out a nuclear chicken or the like and bounced along the bottom back to the boat. I was getting plenty of hits but not many hook ups?? I tried striking first bump, waiting till they were striking then striking back (pulling the hook). Had alot of fun all the same and I can see how this could be addictive.

The next day with alot of thought I experimented more.
Limited out again with 11 gurnard included (missus fav).
I would cast then let sit without movement and would sometimes get a hit. I would give it a few tiny pulls and let sit for 30 seconds. This worked the best. What was nearly as good was putting the rod in holder while drifting. Lots of hits.
Question tho...how do you prevent your tail been bitten off on the first cast. I went thru a lot of baits like this. Im thinking of putting a little trace on th main hook to a second smaller hook hiden in the tail and see how that works...ideas?.        
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2006 at 1:59pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you dont need a real aggressive strike cause all you are going to do is pull the hook away from the fish. just wait until you feel the weight come on and lift your rod tip up to set the hook.
good work on the softies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote surly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2006 at 2:09pm
surly View Drop Down
New User
New User

Reel Deal,

I am only commenting on what i do when chasing snapper in brisbane shallows so it may not necessarily apply to nz conditions.

The secret when soft plastic fishing is to have as light as possible jig head. That way when you throw up current of your drift, the plastic just floats down gradually. I then move the rod slowly with a few twitches and then let the it sink again.I then repeat this process until the plastic has drifted past the boat. It is usually on the downward sinking motion that a decent fish will strike.Most of my larger snapper that i have caught strike soon after the initial cast. The big ones seen to rise to the plastic normally mid water.A too heavy jig weight will limit the plastics movement and more than likely they will bounce along the bottom where alot of small fish are around. It is generally the smaller ones that pick at your bait and tear of the tail.

There is a lot of plastics on the market over here, some are a lot stronger than others. I find the Gulps have the most scent but the tails dont last long at all. We have a soft plastic brand called 'snapbacks', over here I havent had a lot of success with them but they are so tough i have never had a tail been bitter off yet. The other ones I use is the Manns hard nose they too are quite durable. Obviously there are different tails on the plastics, i note you were drifting with one out the back. I have had a fair bit of success using a gulp shaky shad in this manner.

I have recently started using a gamatsu stinger hooker that simply attaches to your main jig hook with a slip knot. They work well but I have been finding i have been catching a lot more smaller ones. You also have to be careful attaching an extra hook like a stinger as it can affect the tail action.

As i am new to this site i was going to post some pictures of the stinger and some of the plastics i use, but as i havent done 25 posts i have sort assistance from Shimma to put some of these photos on.

Keep with it, soft plastic fishing is addictive. Some colours work one day and others the next. It always pays to have a number of different plastics, both in colour and size as well as differnt size jig heads.

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 8:42am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Surly,Im guessing there isnt much differance difference to the snapper here other than being caught by better rugby playersBig smile.
The interesting thing re weights is I was using 1/4 ounce heads and a 1 ounce that was rigged in the shop to show me how. Both worked with no differance noticed??

We also have Gulp here and thats what i used. I will not use anything  that isnt biodigradable so I dont know if that limits my selection.
 Yes that "stinger" type arangement is what I was thinking about. I see your point in that I will catch smaller fish as well, but I would love to see whats attacking and stuffing my SP bait.
This type of fishing is alot of fun!! Tho I would like to maxamize the return on my investment.
Mozz. I had lots of hits when the weight went on, rod buckled over then the weight went off?? lost Cry 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 12:27pm
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had a similar day, nuke chickens lots of soft hits but no hookups, got plenty of Kawahi action on the chartruese gulps towed behind a kayak. Lots of tails bitten off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 11:24am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hmmmm. I think I am going to try the stinger approach this weekend if the weather lets me get out there. A bar 2 hook keeper hook type set up. I will let you guys know how I get on...

My prediction. An increase in hook ups with some good sneaky fish amounst them and lots of small ones. Very keen to see what species they are.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2006 at 6:47pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!!!!OH MY GOD!!!!!
What a session. Satreday morning sitting just off Matarangi with two guys bait fishing. I explained to them the above but they didnt really see why i bother as bait does the trick anyway. I thought as soon as i start losing tails on my soft plastics I will do the stinger as above. First cast had a strike and landed a 4 pounder nice. that got the guys speed baiting to get down.  Next cast bang a 6 pounder what a fight on this little gear. 3rd cast bang an 8 pounder whih took me 5 mins to boat. At one stage I could just see colour when it decided the bottom was a better place to be and wwwhhhiiizzz. What a fight Im still buzzing thinking about it. 4th cast a nice panny it just went on and 25 casts later I had the quater for us three of snapper. Oh did I forget to mention the 10 pounder on say cast 19!! I am hooked. Its like I have finally go intuned or something. I could pick the weights of the fish I had on accuratly. I hooked up every strike. I didnt lose one fish I hooked and to top it all off and you wont believe it....I ONLY USED 4 SOFT PLASTIC BAITS ALL DAY!!!!!!! 
Th other guys caught a few gurnard a tereki and a travelly and were plagued by small fish. Suddenly the smirks wentand the "so how much did that kit all cost, what was that brand again"LOL

I am hooked.
If I new how to I would add a phto of the fish in this report.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2006 at 7:36pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reel deal,
What your saying about the nibbling on the soft baits and loosing tails will most definately be small fish like jack maks.I fished a local wharf and was amazed at the small spotties agressive behaviour to wards the softies,both spotties and jack mackrel demollished a bait i threw into the shallows.Good to hear your latest report, some good fish caught ...
Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2006 at 9:48pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Great to hear todays story Reel deal.Thumbs Up When you say just off Matarangi what depth were you fishing? Were you anchored with Burly or drifting.
Fantastic day for you and it serves me right for not comming down as I was planning to do to get a few scollies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Donald Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2006 at 10:02pm
Donald Duck View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reel Deal, I hate to tell you the truth but Matt Watson had his dive tanks on and was down there hooking the snapper to your SPs.

The blardy things don't work at all; the whole SP thing is amped up by these TV guys and they use mirrors and trick photography.

Bah Humbug.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2006 at 10:09pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Just ignore the deluded mongrel above Reel deal come christmass we will make a believer of him for sureThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Leelay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2006 at 9:12pm
Leelay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Boulder you should have been down here this weekend for our get together Hmmpff Disapprove Why is it when the fish are going hard in Matarangi they're not biting here in Whiti and vice versa?!
Slowest gold member ever, but I finally got there, now wheres that tui gone?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2006 at 9:26am
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey reel, that's an awesome story - big ups for sharing this around. I can't wait to have a day like your one. My 1st SP outing as above, my next one was better with bait - nil, SP's 3

AJ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2006 at 5:46pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Boulder I was about 22m deep and drifting. No burley.
Beagle if Matt Watson was diving there Im sure Iwould have caught him to. Just one of those days I couldnt go wrongTongue 
Im going to see if I can repeat the xperiance soon.