Bigger Avatars?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote [ DBDRFT ] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bigger Avatars?
    Posted: 11 Oct 2006 at 12:56am
[ DBDRFT ] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The site is good, good mix with adverts and forum which is good and also kind of hard to do. I run a forum and although I don't like adverts sometimes it's needed as these things aren't cheap to run........ lol

My question: Are you able to increase the avatar width/height?
64 x 64p is a little small, nothing major, maybe out to 90 or 100 W/H?

Keep up the good work FN.NZ Clap

Mopars, Tickfords, Car Restoration, Fishing, Snooker, DB Draught & AC/DC!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2006 at 12:14am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks for your comments NZ440. I am sure the owners appreciate your feedback.

I am about as untechnical as they get but I think avatar size is restricted to save server space (we have LOTS of users here) and to help hillbillies like me that have those old fashioned modem thingies. Big avatars would make for s l o w page loading I should think. BTW before the last software upgrade avatars were only 32 x 32
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote [ DBDRFT ] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2006 at 12:21am
Silver
Silver

Thanks smudge, no worries, not to stir I hope, just curious. Yip, I do remember poking me head over Dads shoulder and seeing small Avs some time ago.

I'm no whiz either but I'm pretty sure the Avatars and signatures are, how do I put this, a template that are basically loaded into the screen html type code automatically, the post content and photos are what slows it down. I'm pretty sure that's right, lost all thought at this time there are proper words to describe what I just said. LMAO Who knows I'm probably wrong.....

Never mind, I'll get use to the avatars, some are funny and some are cool, would be kind of neat to see them a little clearer, that is all. Smile

Cheers mate,
Carl

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2006 at 10:45pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The avatars are photos just like any other photo. They appear to be hosted on 'fishing.net' server space which would mean that they take up their bandwidth resources each time they are loaded. Unless a person has a good cache system going, they would need to download the data for the images each time they are viewed. Obviously the fish.net server would upload the info.

The signatures are handled differently. They appear to be hosted on a server of the user choose. So they do not take up fishing.net bandwidth and resources. All that the fishing.net forum software has to do is provide and 'activate' a link which would tell the server to download the content to the users computer. The users browser might actually activate the link and not the server.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote [ DBDRFT ] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2006 at 2:06am
Silver
Silver

Yup, I see now. The signatures must have been what I was thinking about, like hosting sites such as Anglefire, photobucket, village photos etc.

Cheers,
Carl

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2006 at 8:04pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do they still make DB Draught ???? Must be a south of the bombays thing...

Sorry Carl couldnt resist mate...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote [ DBDRFT ] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2006 at 8:19pm
Silver
Silver

LOL! It's all good mate, I'm used to the thousands of under 25's blessing Tui, DB Draught drinkers are definitely in the minority, good. Go to any real drinkers pub and you'll see the men drinking DB. lol

Cheers!! Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2006 at 8:52pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL So long as its not DB Bitter, that stuff is just bloody poison Dead (God I hope thats no longer made Ewwwwwwwwww).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote [ DBDRFT ] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2006 at 9:44pm
Silver
Silver

Nope, Only DB Draught since I was 14 years old. Heart

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2006 at 9:06pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All most as bad as when we stayed at the Leopard pub in Waipukarau years ago... wall to wall Leopard lager...Boy did we suffer that stuff went thru you like waikatoThumbs Down  and as for drinking DB since you were 14 give your old man a slap for not starting you on the good stuff.. god bless the stella factory...(Lion Breweries)  Thumbs Up BEER BREWED IN HEAVEN FOR THE REAL MAN....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote [ DBDRFT ] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2006 at 9:44pm
Silver
Silver

Stella? Oh, the poofters drink, fancy ads, $$$ advertising, THAT beer...lol More commonly known as "The Yuppy" drink. I'll stick to the working mans drop.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2006 at 2:08pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

DB, Speights, CD, Export gold, tui and probably several others are all mass produced crap which share the same mass produced crap flavors. They only any good to get drunk on.

The funny thing is when a company imports mass produced crap from overseas (Corona for example) then all of the 'Yuppies' pay a premium to drink it because they think it is all exotic and special .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2006 at 11:42pm
Xkon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hmmmm keep drinking beer and all you beer drinkers will have beer belly's big enough to poke a rod holder in and set ya rod in the folds. LOL  hahahaha int that a hoot aye :) who need's rod holders when ya have that aye Wink