whadya think?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whadya think?
    Posted: 22 Sep 2006 at 11:18pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stradic/Stella 4000------>T-Curve Bluewater----->8.5kg braid------>5ms of 30kg trace----->Storm Anchovy----->20kg YELLOWFIN TUNA

Sounds like lots of fun to me, but wonder what the chances of success would be?..apart from finding the fish meatballing to begin with I don't think buying a bite would be too hard.....just the landing it may be?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2006 at 11:52pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

bit of an over kill lol may as well use an 80,

are you going to be doing some filming of light tackle real mans fishing for 1 of the shows?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2006 at 12:05am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Sounds like a good fight you'll have on ya hands, go hard mate!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2006 at 7:28am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about an overhead reel? My Avet AX holds about 300 metres of 30lb braid and I can cast very easily.
I reckon your chance of landing it is better than finding a YFT meatball. Best of luck.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2006 at 8:32am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BA....what do you mean? Matt has already battled a HUGE black marlin on 3kg before?....seeeesh....what more do you want mate?

No! I was making a few notes on fishing goals I would like to achieve the other night and a 'fin on the my soft bait rig would rank up there.....have caught them on 6kg mono and that was mighty, so I think the spin set would be mightier.

Roy....good call mate, will have the Trinidad 14 on standby, but the idea really is to use the system mentioned above first.

El Nino this season by the sounds of things.....think that "normally" means meatballs in the BOP and on the westcoast....1) finding a meatball 2) finding the "right" sized fish.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2006 at 8:39am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, it's a good idea to use something that tickle's your fancy, even if it's not the most obvious way.
Who said life was meant to be easy?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2006 at 8:54am
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should be a fun fight. The equipment should easily be capable of handling a fish of that size, unless it decides to go for a marathon length run and empties the spool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2006 at 9:14am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Would have been easy to get a shot at that up in Vanuatu Kezz where the tuna seemed to be schooling in age classes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2006 at 9:20am
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I caught a small YF 5-6 KG around one of the Fads in Raro with a soft plastic on my dropshot rod...lots of fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2006 at 1:27pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes indeed Boulder me ol' son!!...

now do you think that "toy" you are looking at will have enough range to get us out to the Wusi??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stef da maori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2006 at 8:29pm
stef da maori View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Blah the Y-Fin. Go the G.TWink
Tama tu, tama ora. Tama moe, tama mate.Maranga mai, me hiika tatou i nga wa katoa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2006 at 11:47pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yellowfin on 20lb braid, yeah, should be easy enough to do, what line cap do those reels have, around 350-400m? Piece of cake mate really.
I would beef up the hooks on the storm anchovies though, they are pretty soft, especially for a yellowfin. Swap the split rings for something a little more substantial and a bootier hook. I got a few big skippies here using exactly those lures on a 15lb TiCA Taurus 4000, and a nice yellowfin of around 10-12kgs or so in the sollies, that was about 3-4 years ago though when I was playing with those SPs when Kilwell still had the agency for the Storm gear.
Dammit, I can't put on the pics, as they are on the home comp, not this one I have at the beach.

But sure, no reason why that gear shouldn't be able to handle a reasonable fish. Must say, I was using a kilwell live fibre custom made rod with my TiCA Taurus on the tunas, so don't know how a lesser rod would perform. If you took it easy then I suppose it could hold up to it.

Good hunting though... I went for a big shad (sorry, I think they call them pogies these days now) once when on a meatball off whakatane, thought it'd be neat to get a tuna on one for a mag story (looking as I was in those days for anything different to write about), but I got inhaled by a bloody great blue shark instead... so much for that idea! :-) Teeeerrrrr...riffic! Decided not to play that silly game no more and went back to livies, and got the yellowfin that way. Hell, that must've been... geez, last century! Hells teeth, makes me feel old! :-)

cheers, Stu.