Anyone been yakfishing from Raglan???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sharkbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone been yakfishing from Raglan???
    Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 7:43pm
sharkbait View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Been out from raglan a few times when i had  my 12ft tinny but haven't done it yet in the prowler 13. Lookslike the wind is going to  the east so it should be reasonably flat within the  couple of days. Any advice or anyone wanting to come out for a fish give me a call

Dave (07)8495275
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 11:19pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

sharkbait, down by the camp there's an old war pillbox on the beach. Line that up with the centre of the bay opposite, about 100m off the drop off, there's a mussel reef. Surf casted there, but you only get about an hour of fishing. Be well worth sitting above it in a yak after low tide. Have been busted off by big snapps and reeled in big trevs.

Get out of the estuary after high tide. very dangerous. I've been caught in a whirlpool in a yak. Very scary

also the bay across from the bridge produces some nice snapps

Oh and there's big stingrays in there that the Orcas chase

Good luck
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sharkbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2006 at 7:27pm
sharkbait View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awsome day out from manu bay today. Got 7 good carrots landed 5 snaps between 5lb and 10lb. Also got busted of by a monster west coast snap right at the yak but it was nice to see such a nice fish anyway. was only about 750mtrs from the ramp  in  only 10mtrs of waterSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 10:45pm
Waka View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sharkbait,

Was at Raglan on the weekend also and thought the Manu Bay ramp looked like the go. Great work on the Snaps by the way.

We were staying in a house up behind old Golden Bay Cement Silos in the harbour. I spent a bit of time with my daughter down at the wharf and agree with Naki Mans call on fishing the outgoing. The water was moving at an incredible speed and churning itself into multiple vortex type whirlpools. Hard to maintain control sitting on a yak, a nightmare if you ended up in the drink!!

Spent my time with the famly, surfing or watching fishos in the harbour through the binoculars. Sounds like you did much better than all the guys I watched fishing inside.

Waka
Waka
Prowler 13
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 11:06pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Waka, I speak from experience. I was sitting across from the bridge when the tide was going out. All of a sudden the yak started bouncingShocked, I turned around to see the back of the yak was being pulled under by a whirl pool. I tried to release the anchor, however the pressure was to great. By this time the water was coming over the back of the yak and into the well of the FnDConfused. I grabbed my bait Knife and cut the anchor rope. Upon doing so the yak popped out of the water like a cork, went completely upside down, dumping yours truly and most of my gear in the brinyCryDeadOuch. From that day on I use a self release anchor system that's lets go when the yak is under pressureThumbs Up
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sharkbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 8:28pm
sharkbait View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think i made a right choice by fishing the incoming tide out from manu bay. There was a little bit of current but now where as much as you would get in the harbour and awsome fishing also. I do think  it is like most things when we are yak fishing, know you own sthrenghs and respect the water we paddle onSmile. Hope to be getting out there agian real soon thinking mussel rock asall the snaps were full of mussels
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sharkbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 8:31pm
sharkbait View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Waka

Send me a pm  or give me a call next timeyou are out there and we can go and catch some fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 12:17am
Waka View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for the offer Sharkbait I'll be sure to let you know when I'm down there next.

Waka
Waka
Prowler 13