Fishing tips for Yaking bait burley etc

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 2:32pm
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Main piece of common sense is to not tease them Big%20smile

1. keep bait and berley in something that doesn't leak - I use heavy walled "ice" plastic bags.
2. kill yer catch straight away to stop in flapping around and making a noise.
3. killing them also stops them bleeding, regurgitating, and p**ing out stuff.
4. some guys put their catch in eskies or sealed insulated bags, and/or use scupper bungs to stop leakage from the "fish hold". I don't bother with this and haven't had a problem, but by all means go for it if you want.
5. if a big ooglie turns us, stop fishing - you don't want to drag up any more "livebaits".
6. if it persists and is a bother, calmly up anchor and shift. No point in making a fuss, it'll only make them more interested.

All the ones I've had turn up over the 15 or more years just seem to be inquisitive. They're just checking out another piece of flotsam to see if it's hiding something to eat. If you don't give them something to occupy their interest they seem to wander off pretty quickly. Longest I've ever had one around is a genuine 5 min (for the uninitiated it probably would have felt a lot longer!). So far haven't had to vacate a fishing spot because of a shark - bugger, Murphy will probably get me now LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakkaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 6:00pm
yakkaman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thumbs%20Up Thx for the info, now i understand they are only looking for scraps, i fish from a swing so i will use my pod same as Piwi does to store catch, in worse case senario i'll feed them Gollyfish that gets rid of a pom LOL
100% Fishing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 7:57pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Limitless Limitless wrote:

Besides, we could always deploy more HLD's, "The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man" LOL
- I'm only a danger to the ones under 5'  Approve
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fotoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 4:19pm
fotoman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hi guys just joined today after a wicked day in my new yak yesterday. i caught a couple of good size snapps on soft baits and abu garcia rod and reel. best fun fishing ive had since landing some big kingies off the rocks a few years back. thanks guys for all the good advice and johnsons for all there help.       
 ps some snapps good fat condition coming on to the worm beds already.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 5:23pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice work fotoman, welcome.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 7:54pm
JigKid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey i'm a keen teen to get into some kayak fishing over summer here on the beautiful kapiti coast !
Ive longlined before and got snap, gurnad, KY's etc but want to get out there and use a rod ! (way more fun )
Any advice on what type of Yaks i shouls be looking into??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 8:52pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yep heaps of advice Confused
Prowlers, Viking profish, Swings all very popular but your budget will determine your yak.
Plenty of other kayaks that will get you out there and enjoying yak fishing for a cheaper price.
May pay to try and have a test paddle with some of the Wellie guys and gals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 9:01pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Jig kid

get into canoe and kayak and fergs and try a couple to see what fits you best. the main yaks for fishing are the prowler range (fergs) the profish (viking)  the swings (perception from C&K) and the cobra range Also at c& K) there are a couple of others . Hobie yaks  and Kazkasi. i was out your way on the weekend and the currents through between kapiti Isl and the mainland can be dangerous so look for a yak with good length and speed to handle them. the wider slower ones while stable may cause more probs than they are worth. keep an eye out on here and if someone is heading out pop down and have a look at their yak. I hope to be up your way more over the summer so you can have a try of mine (prowler 4.5)if you havent got one by then i also have a scupper pro that my son uses but i wont let him go out up there unless its like sunday and then he wont be allowed more than a couple of 100m off shore and only with me. (hes 10)

but try them all and see what suits you best
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 9:16am
Titanium
Titanium

Here's a How-To I did for a guy up here who has just started yakfishing.

Covers most aspects, and some of it has already been posted by others and pinched, for which I apologise to those concernedWink

How to Become an "Experienced" YakFisher – Instantly…

Don’t use the anchor unless you need to. Nailing yourself to the seabed removes a lot of the Yak advantage

Use the “clicker” on the reel drag.  Use it when while trolling, just enough so you get the occasional click as you paddle.  The reel will sing out on a strike.  Turn the clicker off when winding, saves wear and is less noise pollution.

Only the top 100m of line needs to be good quality for yak fishing, the backing line can be almost anything.
Save money and have plenty of good line to respool the working section when needed

Fill your reel to about 3mm from the edge, full reels cast better, both conventional and spinning.

When you are through fishing, tighten the reel drag, spray your reels lightly with fresh water (Use of one of the many salt removal solutions is recommended), dry them with a cloth, then wipe with a cloth squirted with INOX or TackleGuard lubricant (Don't hose the reel with CRC or WD40), then loosen off the drag. This will take the pressure off the drag washers, and give them a longer life.
Your reel needs very little oil.  Loading your reel with oil can make the drag system less effective.

Learn how to strip and clean your reel – Most are fairly simple and you need to have a clean and regrease at least monthly (depending on usage & certainly asap after a dunking)

Be visible. I wear a dayglow shirt and hat, and a flag in peak season. Use plenty of light at night.  Never assume a boat has seen you. If a boat is bearing down on you, turn side on to present a larger profile  - Keep paddling, it will only help.   There will unfortunately be the occasional plonker who plays “chicken” with you – Keep your wits and record as much detail as you can then report them to Maritime Safety  (MSA)

Balance your rod & reel, you don’t need a 4/0 reel on a light rod. And unless targeting really big fish 10 kg is ample - I occasionally fish with a TLD25 and 24kg, but that's a different story Big%20smile

Once you have adjusted your drag appropriately, leave it alone!  There is no way to know how much you are tightening when you are fighting a fish.  If you’re being “spooled” you have nothing to lose.  Try and always use the yak to advantage, keep the rod low and pointing towards the bow to turn the yak to face the fish and allow it to pull you along.
The secret is to wind the yak to the fish, not the other way round.

Lead: use the amount you must, no more no less. When the action is on the surface don’t plunge to the bottom. With surface fish exploding on the surface, opt for “Fly Lining”, no lead at all.  I fish with the hook tied straight to the mainline, unless using a heavier trace for Kingies etc.

When fishing for squid - KEEP IT IN THE WATER AND OUT OF THE YAK UNTIL IT HAS DUMPED ITS INK!!!  This I learnt from experience!

Lures: variety is the spice of life, if they are there (on the sounder) but not taking, change action, size, shape, colour. Remember that predator fish have trapdoor mouths that can inhale a surprisingly large bait or lure.

Keep your yak clean - if using berley, don't associate it with the yak.  Use a dropper pot on a breakable line well below you in case something BIG cruises past.

When casting poppers to Kingfish or Kahawai, wind as fast as you can.  You will NEVER outwind a kingfish!

Heavier lures run deeper, you need a variety to meet conditions.  You must fish where the fish are.  Run really deep when trolling soft lures around workups with gannets around, these daft birds will hit your lure at depths of up to 10m. And a lapful of stroppy gannet is very amusing...for anyone watching.

Be wary of opening the main hatches at sea. If you need to, be conscious of sea conditions during the operation

Swivels: I generally don’t  use them for surface fishing except in some very special situations. Such as using with a heavy trace as above.  Some lure makers suggest you use a swivel with their product. They probably have a reason for it.

Watch out for the “Horizon Bug” – Fish shallow, fish close (with a few exceptions)

If you need a bottom lead to get the rig down to the fish, use a jig instead - double your fishing opportunities

Guides wear out.  Check them periodically, especially the tip top.  A worn guide may cut your line under war conditions. Drag some old pantyhose through the rings - that will show up any cracks or roughness

The rod top ring should always be high quality.  Good tips are very hard and won’t cut.

Watch for the birds working, they fish better than we do.

Watch also for slicks or bubbles (not spindrift foam) on the surface - usually indicates a massacre going on down below - get the big rod out...

Fish the aerated waters around reefs and rocks, but watch the waves.

Skippies are excellent food fish, the secret is to bleed them at once, clean as soon as possible, keep cool and use ice as soon as it’s available.  Sitting in the sun all day will guarantee you an unpalatable meal.  These fish in particular don’t deserve the bad rap they get.

If it doesn’t float, tie it on or attach a float to it.  Only one thing is ESSENTIAL to be tethered: Paddle.

When landing in surf/waves, safety the point and untie the gaff (but leave in the clips)  If you do end up in the washing machine you want the gaff as far away from you as possible

Have and use a drybag for cellphone, wallet, camera -  $250 spent on a waterproof handheld VHF is worthwhile if venturing outside the paddling pool

Don’t leave the yak strapped down hard on the roofrack in hot sun, slacken the lines.  If it does buckle, support the ends and fill with warm water or leave in the sun to pop back (Second hand info – never had to do it myself)

Troll while you paddle - I frequently have a kahawai (either for the smoker or fresh bait) within 200m of launch point on my way out.  The lure usually only needs to be 10 -15m behind you  (No motor noise to spook the fish)

The best fishing is usually at first light to about 1000Hrs, and immediately before a big storm ( and immediately after but ocean water only – Can probably forget anything near a harbour if the water is really soupy)

Keep it simple. There isn't a lot of space on a Yak, pre-everything: pre-tie traces, pre-cut bait etc

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP:

Leave an intention sheet with someone onshore, not in the car– and stick to it (Or TXT/phone your shore contact and advise of any changes)

Enjoy the trip and the scenery, even if the day was a blank on the fishing front – at least you got a workout!

Cheers
Hairy Little Dwarf
Captain and crew,
Fishing Kayak  “Swilkie”
Callsign    ZMT4902
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 41south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 9:46am
41south View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice post HLD - thanks Clap
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." -- Mitch Ratliffe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 3:14pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

TAKE YOUR PADDLE!
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Prop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 3:21pm
Prop Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Phishpula Phishpula wrote:

TAKE YOUR PADDLE!

AND A KAYAK
Hope this helpsLOL

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kai yak fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 9:25pm
kai yak fisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

orsum how to hairy little dwarf !
Man i wish id read that before i started yak fishing. orsum intro! i recon ive got a pretty safe berly system. I pour my minced fish etc into pastic cups add gravel, freeze and remove from cup. I take 4 per trip. throw them up current , bout every 3\4 or hour seems fine.. i have only tried this in 8 to 15m. faster currents need more gravel to keep them in place untill the biter end.
You cant catch a fish if your lines not in the water!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fat belly frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 3:55pm
fat belly frog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have been doing something simular using the peat potting pots,  Gravel, pellets, fish oil and scraps.  I was also cable tieing them onto the anchor to get them down as well as throwing them around.

Plastic cup idea is good cheaper than peat pots, might try freezzing them with something looped in them ready to cable tie to the anchor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 4:01pm
Titanium
Titanium

No reason you couldn't use a cut down milkbottle for a bigger mould.....or a 10l bucket...or a Profish hull Wink

Like the idea of the loop embedded in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2008 at 5:26pm
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Hairy Little Dwarf Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:

Guides wear out.  Check them periodically, especially the tip top.  A worn guide may cut your line under war conditions. Drag some old pantyhose through the rings - that will show up any cracks or roughness

It's also a watertight excuse for when your wife finds a pair of pantyhose in your kit bag Wink

Nice write-up. One other one that hard experience taught me is to never have your drag cranked up with a rod in the holder, and watch out for line wrapping around the tip. Either of these two scenarios have potential for instant disaster when a big fish hits !!!Dead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kai yak fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2008 at 6:10pm
kai yak fisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

He he ive learnt that 1 to. good point ajst2duk!! Has any body tried squid tubes  with frozen berley in them? was thinking about making some? would make orsum stray line bait! i tried the sinker size berley cage but drifting baits along the bottom seemed to tangle the trace more often than not. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 12:26pm
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone seen the front page of the Herald this morning - it's the best incentive NOT to tie your berley pot on your anchor rope, in fact it is a pretty strong incentive not to use berley at all !!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Itsallablur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 5:20pm
Itsallablur View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Here's the link: 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10550743

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's more serious than that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2009 at 10:51pm
Sticky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have just bought my first kayak and fishing rod and was after a bit of advice......

Knowing nothing about fishing i ended up buying a Shimano Kayak SP rod with Shimano TR200G reel.  My question is.....can i use this set up for soft baiting?  I have read about soft baiting on this forum and it seems like a good way to go.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, i suspect to start off with i will do a bit of fishing in the Manukau Harbour from the Awhitu Peninsula - any advice?

Thanks

Page  <1 234