Knife sharpening

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:00am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can I ask what grit you recommend starting on please?  For a stone.

Starting from scratch on convex looking at around 140 or 160 grit to remove flats and just form 1st burrs...Have a look at a svord knife edge next time in a H&F shop.
Then 800
 Then 1200
And if to have a further play , leather strop.. if can find one these days.. and keep in mind, the leather gets impregnated with rouge.. not just straight leather.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:01pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive got a couple of  knives that will cut paper vertically with no effort.

The quality and material used to make knives differs greatly...

Stainless steel takes a lot more work to keep sharp as opposed to carbon steel, so Im not convinced one method or grit is an appropriate  elixer for all knives

My Blue carbon steel cutting core between two layers of mirror polished stainless steel knife requires only a couple of swipes with a 3000 grit ceramic steel to keep sharp.

The Duel bullnose typically needs a few swipes with a fine diamond stick before  swiping with the 3000 grit ceramic stick

My wives victorinox needs attention with a course diamond steel, then fine diamond steel  then the ceramic   steel

It took me 25+ years of killing blades to finally learn how to sharpen them effectively, and Ive never used a whetstone or oil stone...
<span style="color: rgb68, 68, 68; font-family: ProximaNova-Regular, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">
</span>

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 4:20pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Clearly there are loads of different ways to get a "sharp" knife. At the end of the day it's just removing material and shaping the edge... you will also get loads of different opinions about which edge shape is the dogs bollocks, etc.

Personally, I tend to shape the edge with a 1000 grit wetstone, then maintain them with a 3000 grit and a strop. But I'm a weenie, and I don't mine spending ages working on a knife to get it where I want it to be. Usually once the edge is formed how I want it to be it only takes 30 or so licks on the 3000 grit stone and a quick steel to get them back to shaving-sharp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:24pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It took me 25+ years of killing blades to finally learn how to sharpen them effectively, and Ive never used a whetstone or oil stone...

Yep and in that time from reading your post a HUGE part is  regular maintenance of the edge, storage and care.

Once the edge is worked nice, few quick strokes on a pad, or fine stone or diamond file is all thats needed... which ever is ones personal preference, find works best for them.
 I have used stones for near on 50yrs.. and stroping for fine cut throats..only changed to stropping in resent yrs .

Waiting well after a edge will not slice a tomato skin under its own weight..doesnt work.

If you ever come across a very fine stone that has what looks like a drill end has been drilled into it..and wondered why...its for putting an edge back on a cut throat.
 Do not use it on a knife.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 2:57pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good tips guys 👍
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Page  <1 234