Pacific Broadbill Landings - 1999

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pacific Broadbill Landings - 1999
    Posted: 12 May 2003 at 7:40am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks to John H.

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2003 at 8:51am
Spina View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Howdy all, Correct me if I am wrong, but that works out to 840 tons of broadbill caught in NZ waters alone in 1999, And most of that off the East cape. Thats one hell of alot off broadys considering that most off them would be under 2 metres long bill and all, Hell those Kiwi commercial longliners are bloody good to accidently catch that much byecatch fish off one species, And they dont Even target them .(YEAH RIGHT )arseholes, So who do we rark up to get it stopped??, If we dont get some political power all will be lost for us. cheers Spina. Ps thanks to John H for the info ,I have been looking for that, I wonder where he found it?.
Dont waste your time trying to give me a hard time being in politics teaches one very quickly how to turn a deaf eye and a blind ear!
wheres my glasses cant find my hearing aids without them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2003 at 9:03am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spina....

JohnH has his ways...ours is not to wonder why, where, how or what!!

Pretty scary stuff that is for sure....by catch my ass!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2003 at 9:06am
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Guys, are those stats just for our longlining fleet or does it include the slimy bastards from other countries aswell?
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2003 at 9:19am
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kerren/John H,

Just a thought, if that's the bycatch figures from targetting tuna etc what portion of a boats total catch per set would the ( let's say intended ) target species make up ??

Maybe if a portion or ratio control was applied then they would have to stop fishing once a certain limit of "buycatch" was reached. That's not a spelling mistake.

As you said,  bycatch my arse.

Cheers

AC

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2003 at 9:28am
Spina View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Kerren ,What I ment was that info must be available to the public some where,I have heaps off sites from all over the world about commercial take, That one I just could not find ,All takes alot off time! helps the research when you have the cheat sheets so to speak. cheers Spina.
Dont waste your time trying to give me a hard time being in politics teaches one very quickly how to turn a deaf eye and a blind ear!
wheres my glasses cant find my hearing aids without them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2003 at 9:30am
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also, who puts these stats together? If it comes from the commercial guys it could be slightly incorrect by a few hundred tons or so. Those stats are from 4 years ago so it would be interesting to see the current stats. Anyone got them?
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2003 at 10:06am
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For more info have a good dig around the FAO website.  I found this part this morning:

http://www.fao.org/fi/atlas/tunabill/english/index.htm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2003 at 10:37am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very very interesting site Reidfish....thanx for sharing!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2003 at 2:13pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There is a lot if information around but it can be time consuming to get it into a form that makes sense.

Longline catch and effort data for the wider south and Central Pacific is from the Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) Oceanic Fisheries Programme catch and effort database.  This database is public domain and comprises a groomed version of log sheet and annual catch estimates from all major fishing nations in the region and most minor fishing nations.  Data is available by 5 degree square by month and species.  See http://www.spc.org.nc/oceanfish/Html/SCTB/Data/index.asp

They don't record target species at this scale. Some of the quality of data is variable but I think is much improved over the last 10 years.  The longline data set goes back to 1958 when much of the catch was Japanese and the tuna / billfish fishery in the South Pacific was in a virgin state.  It is always hard to know what was kept and what was dicarded back then. 

I have data for  some other years from this source but nothing more recent. Looking at the plot for 1999 a couple of things stand out. Most of the swordfish catch in the SW Pacific is taken from Aus and NZ waters. So in fact our fishery does take a significant proportion of the total catch in the region, about 20%.  Also there is a very large area to the east, that either has no Swordfish or no fishing effort. 

I heard that the longliners were setting on the Middlesex Bank.  Has anyone else heard anything?

John H

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2003 at 3:15pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

John H...

Apparenetly there is heaps of longline gear on the "Garden Pacth" at the present......which coincides with a recreational boat getting 3 swords there other night....Ultimate Lady also got 3 up at the Kings on their last trip...so it seems they have come on the bite!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2003 at 4:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

John H, what about Hawaii/mexico, they are in the pacific too.  Is there a map with their catches so we can get an overall picture from the Pacific? On the face of it, you may well be right, NZ is a significant broadie fishery, so if we control our fishers it will impact the total population (although perhaps restrict the international quota we eventually get dished out unless NZ agrees to shelve catch or something).

I would wonder out loud if there is any trucking going on between NZ & Aussie depending on regulations there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2003 at 11:17am
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Reidfish

You raise important points about where the SW pacific fits into the bigger picture. NZ Big Game Fishing Council has already engaged the Minister on some of these points and some of the poor advice he was receiving.  I quote from a letter to the Minister dated 7th of August 2000:

�The NZ Big Game Fishing Council is disturbed that you have been misinformed about the views expressed at the March stakeholder meeting on the swordfish fishery.  In your letter you say �I am informed that at the March meeting �� it was recognised that the New Zealand swordfish fishery is part of the overall Pacific wide swordfish stock and that New Zealand�s commercial catch of swordfish is around 5% of the overall Pacific catch.� You again repeated this view to me at the NZRFC conference.

�The Council recognises that NZ catches about 5% of the total Pacific catch of 20,000 tonnes but we strongly contested Talbot Murray�s view that there was only one swordfish stock across Pacific Ocean.  There are certainly other views expressed in the literature and recorded in the minutes of the March 2000 meeting.  Chris O�Brien the senior MFish representative at the meeting stated �from a research standpoint it is important to recognise that there is a complete lack of knowledge about swordfish biology and the fishery eg. the relationship with the stock outside the NZ EEZ which is very important.� (page 5 Swordfish Meeting Minutes). 

�We do not believe that a lack of evidence of stock separation in the Pacific constitutes proof that there is only one stock.  What we find most disturbing about the one stock view is the implication that trying to manage the swordfish fishery in New Zealand is a waste of time because we are catching a small proportion of a highly mobile stock. 

�The Standing Committee on Tuna and Billfish is undoubtedly the leading scientific organisation in the western and central Pacific on matters such as swordfish stock assessment.  In a summary statement from their recent meeting in Noumea they state that �new research on swordfish stock structure postulates three stocks in the Pacific (NW, SE and SW) and will necessitate a sub-regional management approach.�  We endorse this view.

�We raised a number of our concerns in a letter to the previous Minister of Fisheries.  Particularly, that the gradual development of the swordfish fishery, that we had hoped to secure through the Billfish Memorandum of Understanding with commercial fishers, had gone out the window.  The catch had blown out from 100 tonnes in 1994-95 to 1000 tonnes in 1998-99 (1000%).  This rate of increase is twice the increase in the claimed target species, bigeye tuna, or the increase in fishing effort in the northern region -1.6 million hooks set 1994-95 to 3.0 million hooks set in 1998-99 (200%) (M. Francis 2000)

�There is not adequate knowledge of swordfish biology and stock status to allow the uncontrolled expansion of this fishery.  We believe that the Ministry should be more pro-active in managing the fishery for swordfish, southern bluefin and bigeye tuna. We know that concern in Australia has lead to several swordfish research projects being developed.

�It was heartening, I must say, to see decisive action taken to control the development of Pilchard fishery until there is sound research on the impact and sustainability of expansion.  In that fishery there were six permit holders and four or five vessels fishing.  We ask that you consider limiting the expansion of the tuna/swordfish fishery, which currently has 446 permits and 100 vessels operating, until this fishery is proven.�

So we have been at this issue for some time now. It seems that at the moment prices are low and fishing is hard so the longline fleet is shrinking not because of management controls but because of economics.

On the other question, Not sure that trucking would be any benefit. It is the Aussie market that take most of the toothpicks (Baby swordfish) landed in NZ anyway.  They never used to land them because there was no market for them when exporting to the USA.  Now they can sell the lot.

John H

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2003 at 11:28am
Titanium
Titanium

Wow, great Info, John. It's nice to hear some an informed point of view while the rest of us flounder amongst half-truths and confusion.

So I guess what we all want to know is: What do you think will happen in the fishery, will the Standing Committee on Tuna and Billfish make progress soon enough and get an agreement to manage the SE Pacific fishery sustainably?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2003 at 12:03pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

visit here, to how they are packed and sent to market, this is Aust doing it's thing........

http://www.globsea.com/swordfish.htm

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2003 at 9:20am
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

The decline of world billfish and tuna stocks made the main radio news (NewstalkZB) at 0600 this morning. It was vaguely about stocks being down 90% c.f. 50 years ago and was, I think, from a Canadian scientist (it was 6am and I was still half asleep!).

Anyone any idea why this should have suddenly surfaced in the mainstream media - something about to happen??

obald

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2003 at 3:51pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

obald

This story was also in the New York Times. Here is an extract. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/14/science/life/14CND-FISH.html?ex=1053966385&ei=1&en=1bcb121fd23fd8a6

Commercial Fishing Is Cited in Decline of Oceans' Big Fish

May 14, 2003
By ANDREW C. REVKIN
NEW YORK TIMES
In just 50 years, the global spread of industrial-scale
commercial fishing has cut by 90 percent the oceans'
population of predatory fishes, from majestic giants like
blue marlin to staples like cod, a new study has found.
Oceanographers not connected with the study say it provides
the best evidence yet that recent fish harvests have been
sustained at high levels only because fleets have sought
and heavily exploited ever more distant fish populations.
Other studies had shown such trends for individual species
and some coastal fisheries, but experts said this was the
first systematic study to measure the impact throughout the
oceans. The study is to appear on Thursday in the journal
Nature and is online at www.nature.com.

Should be worth a look.

Reidfish.  It will take years for the standing committee on tuna and billfish or the Commisionfor the conservation and management of highly migratory fish stocks in the western and central Pacific Ocean to do a stock assessment or take any action.  Because of public concern the NZbig Game Fishing Council representation at meetings the Ministry of Fisheries has commisioned research into the factors that effect the catch rate of swordfish, including the use of lightsicks.  Also they have a project that should go out to tender soon to conduct a stock assessment and estimate MSY for swordfish in the SW Pacific.  This may speed things up a little.

John H