Blackdog cat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craiglett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blackdog cat
    Posted: 30 May 2023 at 11:34am
craiglett View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,

I've been considering one of these boats and travelled from Sydney to the Hutchwilco show to view these and other NZ made plate boats.

Saw lots of great boats but was told that BDC cancelled at late notice with no other explanation.

It looks like they may no longer be in production but would be grateful for any information as to whether the company may be saved from what looks like liquidation. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BotStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 11:03am
BotStomper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craiglett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 11:05am
craiglett View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you for the confirmation.

Such a shame as they looked like they ticked quite a few boxes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 9:02pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

O dear, wasn't a fan of their boats but bugger
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:47pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice looking boats but single engine planing cats are always going to be a bit power hungry, due to interference between the hulls. There's ways to minimise this, but the effect is always there as far as I know. 

A soon as you add a second engine the cost really goes up. I looked into building a cat, but the more complex build, and requirement for twin outboards sunk the idea fast. 

Have a look at minipowercats. Again nice boats, but the 5m powercat takes 90-150hp while the 
5m monohull requires 60-90hp. And every single larger cat that they make has a dual outboard. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 4:32am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not my thing, but shame a local company has gone down the pan. I thought the boat business was rampant looking at lead times, lack of stock and prices. Or maybe prices have gone up due to labour and material costs, but the buyers just aren't there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:26am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shame MB - had a good friend buy a new boat off them only 1-2 years ago.