Motuora this afternoon

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motuora this afternoon
    Posted: 26 May 2023 at 6:01pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shot over to Motuora this afternoon for a change from fishing around the peninsula as the fish have been in close around Stanmore Bay but they have been small.

Wanted to see if there were any larger units around. Caught 9 good pannies all over 450 and one nice fish in the mid 500s.

All caught on my nice new shiny Kaveman micro jigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 6:51pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nephew took a litle trip south of tryphena today. He sent through a video but cant work out how to load it,

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 7:28pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Shot over to Motuora this afternoon for a change from fishing around the peninsula as the fish have been in close around Stanmore Bay but they have been small.

Wanted to see if there were any larger units around. Caught 9 good pannies all over 450 and one nice fish in the mid 500s.

Nice one, Kerry. Thanks for posting. As much as I would like to be able to appreciate catching small stuff on ultra light gear (which is a trend some are pushing), i just can't get into it. Great to be able to catch fish in that bigger class - a good scrap, and good eating fillets.

I did quite well on an orange/lumo Kaveman in the 'Blue Blue' shape on my last Auckland trip - dragged out the back while I cast my softbaits ahead. great value.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 5:57pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Nice one, Kerry. Thanks for posting. As much as I would like to be able to appreciate catching small stuff on ultra light gear (which is a trend some are pushing), i just can't get into it. Great to be able to catch fish in that bigger class - a good scrap, and good eating fillets.

I did quite well on an orange/lumo Kaveman in the 'Blue Blue' shape on my last Auckland trip - dragged out the back while I cast my softbaits ahead. great value.
Thanks Lester, yes those CJ lures from Kevin are good as well. Nice to catch some larger models and have some good filets in the pan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 6:29pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Lester, yes those CJ lures from Kevin are good as well. Nice to catch some larger models and have some good filets in the pan.
Found out from the nephew,he was using oranhe sliders,reckons not going back to smelly bait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 6:41pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Found out from the nephew,he was using oranhe sliders,reckons not going back to smelly bait
I just got sick of bait freezers crapping themselves and having to clean up the mess.

One thing about lure fishing is the boat cleaning, I just give my boat a squirt down with some wash and wax in a dispenser on the end of the hose and it’s done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 7:13pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Might look at them my self.kandrew.in the process if painting.cockoit done and first coat deck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 4:31pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=Pcj] [ I just got sick of bait freezers crapping themselves and having to clean up the mess.

One thing about lure fishing is the boat cleaning, I just give my boat a squirt down with some wash and wax in a dispenser on the end of the hose and it’s done.

I know exactly what you mean. A bait and berley trip with my boys requires a lot more prep with all the defrosting etc, and buckets for the bait, empty bait or berley bags...and then more clean up. But it's sometimes a good way to fish with kids, as they can feel the fish biting and the rods I use are way more forgiving of mis-use than my softbaiting ones.

I quite like the hybrid of lure fishing, but catching some jack macks for livies to have out the back while drifting - essentially a very slow troll. That's quite common with good charter skippers. JW (Jonathan Watts) who used to post on here a lot, then started Northside Adventures, does that with his Little Barrier trips. So does Tony Orton out of Mangawhai.
I often have a rod ready to go if I happen to catch a jack mack on a lure when I'm targeting snaps (say, out in the anchovy workups near Rangitoto), or have a string of sabikis in my kit if it looks like there are kingies around. I just cut off the jighead and attach the sabikis to pull in half a dozen baits and keep them in the FC live well or the big lidded bucket I use to bleed kahawai etc.
I can't say I've had any great success yet, but I think it's only a matter of time doing it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 4:54pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wouldn't mind a pointer on these sliders. I have tried a Kobura orange one multiple times - while catching snapper on bait. Got enough fish - time to try the slider.
Zilch.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 5:46pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

I wouldn't mind a pointer on these sliders. I have tried a Kobura orange one multiple times - while catching snapper on bait. Got enough fish - time to try the slider.
Zilch.
Alan
what depth are you in Alan one of the biggest problems with lure fishing is getting to the bottom, small hook’s means no striking just slowly wind the lure and and when the bites start just keep winding slowly until the fish is hooked then just carefully play the fish in or you’ll pull the hooks.

Next time you’re up in Auckland I’ll take you and Bazza out for a lure fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 3:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well that may be part of the problem. Usually around 30m. I can get to the bottom, but usually have to hook a small sinker on at the swivel clip.
Thanks for the reply.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 3:37pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 7:06pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right - so which bits am I doing wrong? That vid they fish on the drift. I am usually anchored.
They use veery soft tipped rods. I have and use a soft tip - but not that soft. Shimano aqua tip sort.
Another vid is using 20lb FC. and braid. I am using around 60lb. Sharks and cuda and doggies. Get chomped lots.
Giving it a good crack tomorrow, so will try again.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 7:31pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't profess to have any great experience with these Alan but I believe having a small sinker above the slider is probably less than ideal.  In 30m water depth I expect the weight of the slider should be in the 100-150g range.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 7:58pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Won’t be the rod that’s the problem it will be the thicker leader stopping the lure getting to the bottom. I would use 150 to 180 or even 200. The extra weight won’t hurt.

Think of the slider head being like the sinker you would normally use. A 4 ounce sinker is about 120 grams, I would go a bit heavier again. When I took Bazza out we were in 40 mtr and I had a 150 gram on his line and he was catching fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 9:13pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Zilch.
Alan

That is an absolute classic example of why people think lures don't work. You're not alone!

Right - so which bits am I doing wrong? That vid they fish on the drift. I am usually anchored.
They use veery soft tipped rods. I have and use a soft tip - but not that soft. Shimano aqua tip sort.
Another vid is using 20lb FC. and braid. I am using around 60lb. Sharks and cuda and doggies. Get chomped lots.
Giving it a good crack tomorrow, so will try again.
Alan

Two easy fixes for lure fishing. No more anchoring, but you'll have to control your drift somehow in all but the lightest of winds. Braid/fluorocarbon as light as possible. My go to, catch 'em all outfit has 15lb braid and a 15lb fluorocarbon leader on it. Of course, rod and reel have to match. I don't remember losing a fish to an outright line break. You will rarely catch sharks and doggies on lures. Barracouta are more of a problem. Some people incorporate a short bite leader made of kevlar cord or steel wire.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 3:43pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK - so I had my first sucess on the Kobura today.
Caught several KY (there were zillions around) and one spiny dog. At least that is an improvement.
Anchored over broken structure in 20m, and 20-25 Knts. No drifting today.Was supposed to be a primo day wind wise - they got that wrong. Luckily we had already got suspicious looking at a few alternate weather maps, and canned the 40k deep water trip.
All the snapper were caught on bait. We only got 6 - got nailed by KY and spinys, and the odd shark.
I did strike the first touch - reflex. Could not help myself. After that I manged to get it under control. I was hoping the slider would improve the odds over getting nailed on the bait by stuff we did not want. Not to be.
I will preservere.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 4:05pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's progress Alan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 4:31pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes after many years of bait fishing it took me a while to get the strike reaction under control.

Nice work Alan