The decline of Editorial Oversite in NZ Media

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 8:09pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Whatever side of the political compass you lie on, it's important to try and emphasise with the other side. You may disagree on policy or implementation but as soon as we start identifying too much with a political party and calling the other side f-wits, we may as well move to the States, as that's what we become. 

For the record I tend to vote left wing, but not too far left, as I work in education. Te Parti Maori for example has some pretty bad ideas in their education policy mixed in with a few good. ACT has some good ideas in theirs mixed with some bad. Both I assume mean well, and legitimately think that their policies will help the country. Both are probably partly wrong, based on my experience in a classroom. 

Possibly mean “empathise” versus “emphasise”.
As an example: I strongly emphasise my right to support free thinking and less government and lower taxes and generally less govt interference in lots of things. But I empathise with efforts to improve child poverty, the health system, education and also helping small businesses and private landlords (and their tenants) being adversely impacted by present government.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 8:10pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

The Heralds website is littered with spelling errors…

And the same paragraphs and sentences repeated underneath each other.
Many incorrect words used as well.
I think they have done away with inhouse proof readers and now out source to a third party.
Probably in India. LOL
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 11:23pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Whatever side of the political compass you lie on, it's important to try and emphasise with the other side. You may disagree on policy or implementation but as soon as we start identifying too much with a political party and calling the other side f-wits, we may as well move to the States, as that's what we become. 

For the record I tend to vote left wing, but not too far left, as I work in education. Te Parti Maori for example has some pretty bad ideas in their education policy mixed in with a few good. ACT has some good ideas in theirs mixed with some bad. Both I assume mean well, and legitimately think that their policies will help the country. Both are probably partly wrong, based on my experience in a classroom. 

Possibly mean “empathise” versus “emphasise”.
As an example: I strongly emphasise my right to support free thinking and less government and lower taxes and generally less govt interference in lots of things. But I empathise with efforts to improve child poverty, the health system, education and also helping small businesses and private landlords (and their tenants) being adversely impacted by present government.

Yup. That's what happens when I don't proofread. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 8:25am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There's even an error in the title of this thread. Oversight vs oversite. 30 odd posts over a week - no one noticed or no one cared. 
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 3:45pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by waynorth waynorth wrote:

There's even an error in the title of this thread. Oversight vs oversite. 30 odd posts over a week - no one noticed or no one cared. 

Well funny you should say that but oversite is in fact used correctly in this instance. Oversight means to miss something, but can be used in this instance also. Oversite in this context means to supervise.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 4:15pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hmm. Debatable perhaps, but not on a fishing site. Sight. Cite. Funny old language English. Explain to a farmer he needs to run a plough through a rough paddock. Or the 'it's' rules.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 5:15pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Well funny you should say that but oversite is in fact used correctly in this instance. Oversight means to miss something, but can be used in this instance also. Oversite in this context means to supervise.

Are you sure about that smudge?  Happy to be corrected but I can find no support for oversite meaning to supervise.  On the other hand oversight can mean to supervise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 6:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes indeedy FA, oversite & oversight are both ok in this instance as I said earlier. Trust me  just like you can trust our esteemed leader and PM Mr Chippy Big smile. I'll see what I can find to back up my case. Or otherwise
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 6:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Ahhhh, here we go. I know the interwebby is notoriously unreliable but I'll take this:  https://thecontentauthority.com/blog/oversite-vs-oversight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 6:37pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Ahhhh, here we go. I know the interwebby is notoriously unreliable but I'll take this:  https://thecontentauthority.com/blog/oversite-vs-oversight

Perhaps you need to read that again smudge.  I don't believe it supports your view. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 7:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well you may just be right there FA! Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 7:48pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No one is getting paid to proof read these threads, unlike the Herald which is a professional publication.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 4:18am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The herald has become a tabloid full of trashy and irrelevant news.
They will print anything that sensationalises otherwise irrelevant gossip.
And the cheeky buggers want you to pay for it.
IMO, most of the news is irrelevant information.
Like junk food.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Page  <12