Setup suggestions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SmithyNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setup suggestions
    Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:15pm
SmithyNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I was having a clear out of the garage recently and stumbled across a couple of items I'd like to get setup to use... but I'd like some suggestions as to what to pair them with.

1) is a Shimano Tyrnos 8 Reel - I'm Looking for line weight suggestion and whats a good rod I could pair this up with for some sort of jigging like big kabura / slow-pitch type jigs maybe 7ft preferably or a rod combo that will help to stop small/med king's?

2) Is a rod I was given an Ocean Angler Power-flex Carbon 5'8" 6-8kg.... looking for a good low profile bait caster or narrow jig reel suggestion to chuck on this one....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.... I know I could chuck the Tyrnos on the OA rod but I'm looking to create 2 new setups with whats there.

All my other gear is light soft-bait setups and I'd like to try something a bit different.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 7:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1) could go on a more gruntier general rod with pe3 braid. Any cheaper overhead rod. Finor used to do cheap overhead 10 -12 kg rod, but plenty others… will deal to decent king or smaller sharks, big snapper. Want something around six foot with good guides and solid reel seat. Livebaiting and light trolling. Can work bigger long jigs at a pinch.
2) not really my forte but a small overhead - would spend more money there… smallest  Penn fathom, or shimano Calcutta 400 or Trini 12 ( in star drag .. what I use) would be my pick. Diawa  do some good reels as well but even more expensive.  Okuma metaloid also nice little lever drag but reckon star drag is better for slow pitch. Not big on most smaller star drag bait casters based on their longevity.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 7:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The Okuma Tournament rods are great value and I really like them. Trinis are a great reel too, either a 12 or 14a
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 11:19pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not very fashionable, but the Swedish-made Abu Garcia baitcasters (e.g. 6500 C3) are very reliable and lightweight. Available in left hand wind too if that's your thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 9:19pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'd go the following:

Shimano Shadow X 6'3" 10-15kg with the Tyrnos 8 (30lb braid)

Trinidad 12/14 or Torium 14 on the OA rod

what ever you look at take the rod and reel in to your local shop and try them out to see what you like best.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 10:42pm
Zia View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

For the Shimano Tyrnos 8 reel, it is recommended to pair it up with a rod that has a line weight rating of 20-50 lb. A good rod option for jigging like big kabura/slow-pitch type jigs could be the Shimano Grappler Type J Jigging Rod or the Shimano Trevala S Jigging Rod. Both these rods are around 7ft long and can handle the line weight range for the Shimano Tyrnos 8 reel. Alternatively, the Shimano Terez Conventional Rod is also a great option for stopping small/medium kings.

As for the Ocean Angler Power-flex Carbon rod, a good low profile bait caster reel that you can pair it with is the Shimano Curado DC 150 http://https://www.baitcastingfish.com/best-baitcasting-reels-under-100-for-2023/ - Baitcasting Reel or the Abu Garcia Revo SX Low Profile Reel. These reels have a narrow spool design which would be ideal for casting lures and jigs.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your new setups!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 6:26am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's an interesting post Zia. It looks well written and while there is no link there's a web address there. A quick IP Address search and a gut feeling though suggests to me that your post isn't as genuine as it seems. My humblest apologies if I am wrong but I delete anywhere from 5 to 15 spam posts per week.

Could this be our first ChatGPT post?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 8:51am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

It certainly reads like that's where it came from, doesn't necessarily make it bad advice though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 5:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

It certainly reads like that's where it came from, doesn't necessarily make it bad advice though.

Got to say it's got a real kiwi flavour Kev. No doubt it is AI

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BotStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 10:27pm
BotStomper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Relevant to my bot stomping interests.

I threw the original post into ChatGPT and got very similar output.

Some giveaways for ChatGPT:
Parroting phrases from the prompt, in this case "big kabura/slow pitch jigs" and "small/medium kings"
Recommending products that aren't widely available here in NZ - The Trevela and Terez are US market and only available here as parallel imports.

Dead giveaway if the bot/spammer is stupid and you're a big nerd:
If you paste text into this forum it keeps the formatting of the source. ChatGPT uses a fairly odd font, being 16pt Sohne, and you'll never guess what the post above is Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:43am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by BotStomper BotStomper wrote:

Relevant to my bot stomping interests.

I threw the original post into ChatGPT and got very similar output.

Some giveaways for ChatGPT:
Parroting phrases from the prompt, in this case "big kabura/slow pitch jigs" and "small/medium kings"
Recommending products that aren't widely available here in NZ - The Trevela and Terez are US market and only available here as parallel imports.

Dead giveaway if the bot/spammer is stupid and you're a big nerd:
If you paste text into this forum it keeps the formatting of the source. ChatGPT uses a fairly odd font, being 16pt Sohne, and you'll never guess what the post above is Wink

Good info on the font size/style BotStomper. I'm going to leave our friend Zia the Bot here because it is interesting Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 10:01am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So for a techno dummie like me,
Why would some AI thing want to post on Fishnet?
Must say - reads credibly. Maybe we don't need a forum anymore - just talk to some Chatbot.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 5:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

So for a techno dummie like me,
Why would some AI thing want to post on Fishnet?
Must say - reads credibly. Maybe we don't need a forum anymore - just talk to some Chatbot.
Alan

It is simply someone spamming the listed website, which may well not go to where you're expecting and is likely to something nasty like send you something nasty to steal your money. Knowing that they can't present themselves as a genuine kiwi they have asked Chat GPT for help. The bot part is simply a software programme that send all manner of spam to loads of forums like ours.