Boat Insurance

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StrayFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Insurance
    Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 6:47am
StrayFish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, 

Just wanted to see what Insurance companies people would recommend for boat insurance? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 6:59am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Baileys are the best by far
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 8:56am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Depends on age of boat. Pre 80s try AMI. Insured my 70s with Ami 16 K costs me $107 pa
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 9:11am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

IVe been happy with AMI. Had two boats stolen and they paid me no problem.
AS a matter of interest, both boats were subsequently recovered by police and crims were prosecuted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 7:16pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I insure my boat (16 ft stabi owned for 20 years) with AMI. They are good. Many years ago also paid out promptly on a boat I sunk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StrayFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 7:26pm
StrayFish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks all, seems like need to reach out to AMI and Baileys. 

The boat will be a Surtees 540 HT which myself and old man are eagerly waiting for to be built, so just want to make sure by time we collect its all covered etc. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 8:31pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just made a small claim against my insurance with Mariner. Quick and easy and money was in my account the same day I sent the receipt. I was impressed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 6:20pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree with the positive comments re AMI.

I made a claim (minor hull damage on a fibreglass boat) just under 2 years ago and they were easy to deal with.

Also - if you are buying new you may be offered very competitive insurance associated with the Outboard manufactured e.g.  Yamaha (if you are having a Yamaha fitted).  I accepted the offer when I bought - it was significantly cheaper than the quote AMI gave me at the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 11:15pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was recommended Mariner by a mate and they were good to deal with, but haven't made a claim. That's when it matters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 7:45am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

I was recommended Mariner by a mate and they were good to deal with, but haven't made a claim. That's when it matters.

Over the years I've made a couple of claims with them, and they were very good to deal with.  The first claim I was a bit worried as I had not even filled in any paperwork or paid for the cover yet, just arranged it over the phone and then had an accident when I picked up my boat.  But they were great about it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 12:39pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try PIC insurance brokers I think you will find them very competitive.

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 8:12am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use Tower now after Club Marine left NZ. Used to use PIC brokers but ditched them when they stopped recommending Club Marine and proposed a much more expensive option because it turned out they weren’t getting enough commission or whatever from Club Marine so just went direct with them for the last few years. In addition then found out my premium had been too high as I was paying extra for a trailer and parking risk when my boat is dry stacked. 

In summary this experience and others I’ve had suggest to me that brokers are pretty hopeless 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 9:30am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's worth doing an analysis of the policy wording. I use Vero through Baileys now. Some policies like AMI, from memory, limit the distance you can travel from the cost, or will only do market value. 

I found that the Vero policy from PIC and Baileys was identical, and PIC was 100-200 more expensive. 
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 11:28am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Club Marine has been gone from NZ for 2yrs now.

Ami Yes market value,but at the moment market is high,can get more on TM than when I brought it. And no distance on my policy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StrayFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 4:58am
StrayFish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Some good info here, looking through AMI policy they have freely available on their website, shows they only insure up to 50kms offshore. 

@Pcj - when did you sign up by chance to AMI? 

I'll be calling them today to see if theirs any other policy to cover distance further, ie getting to Gt Barrier is roughly double that alone according to Navionics  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 5:17am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by StrayFish StrayFish wrote:

Some good info here, looking through AMI policy they have freely available on their website, shows they only insure up to 50kms offshore. 

@Pcj - when did you sign up by chance to AMI? 

I'll be calling them today to see if theirs any other policy to cover distance further, ie getting to Gt Barrier is roughly double that alone according to Navionics  
June 20222 updated 2023,new trailer. Yeah web site shows 50kms but nothing in writing on policy,just checked now,

A lot of policies were 200km nz economic zone,guess times are a changing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 8:02am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Strayfish, I would have thought Great Barrier is part of NZ so you are never more than 50 nautical miles from NZ on the way over.

You'd have to go 50 nm out past GB to the east.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StrayFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 8:08am
StrayFish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

@Pcj - yeah its an odd ball one per distance given if your policy doesn't state that limit, that's good but I guess for anyone who joins up seems to be their angle based off website and doco, but ill call and see what they say.

@SaltyC - thats true, but AMI note up to 50kms not in Nautical miles. 

here's a link, which been reading through this morning on their policy 

Will post once, find out more from them as quite interesting given that limitation, will need to look for another insurance company given wont suite our needs. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 4:56pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

liegh straight line via google maps 46kms from liegh