Petrol tank or rod holder? whoops

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Petrol tank or rod holder? whoops
    Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 9:51am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm not sure how you could put $600 worth in without noticing your mistake. in the loo? Getting a coffee?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 3:50pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This story has generated some interest on my local fishing site here in Perth. Others have come forward with similar tales either in person or witnessing. There are a few horror stories, one where the bilge pump has kicked in resulting in the fuel igniting.  Another case where when realising the problem, a person has attempted to isolate the batteries and that has sparked.  Scary stuff. 
Most cases appear to happen when the filler point is above eye level and there is a rod holder nearby.  I admit to having a near miss on a mate's boat. He had jumped onboard and removed the filler cap.  On the ground I reached up and placed the fuel nozzle in a rod holder which was only inches away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 5:04pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There was a video a few years ago of someone who did this in the US but didn't notice.  When they tried to start the boat a spark caused the inevitable.  It was pretty horrific, but somehow he wasn't seriously injured despite being blown out of the boat in a fireball.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 5:36pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well, something I don't have to worry about as a small boat owner. I can only dream of owning a boat that's of a size that I couldn't see the top of the gunwales when I'm standing beside it on the trailer!!

So basically the fuel was pouring on to the floor of the boat, with no visible sign of an issue until - in this case - it looks like the fuel started to run out the stern hatch door?

If so, that puts a different light on how I was picturing it. I was thinking there'd be no way you wouldn't realise if you were standing next to the boat when the filling was going on.

I bet that's a mistake they'll only make once... 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 9:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It certainly happens. A guy was killed in NZ a few years back in a similar situation where the petrol went in via a rod holder
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 10:24pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Years ago I had an overly eager service station attendant lift the rubber cover on a rod holder and go to put the hose in there. As mentioned above it does happen, a person was seriously burnt a few years in a very similar case here in NZ. He was being helpful filling the boat for his mate.