No Power to Ignition.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GillyNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Power to Ignition.
    Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 8:49pm
GillyNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, looking for a bit of advice. I have recently removed a fish finder and transducer from my boat, but since doing this, I can't get power to ignition or dials on my dash.

I have tested the battery and was showing 12.5v so have put it on charge.

With all wires connected, I have power to my battery isolator switch, but nothing working on my helm. I have tested the bus bar for my electronics and read about 0.5. If I just connect the bus bar to the battery and nothing else, I get 12.5v.

Any ideas as to what check next and wondering if I have pulled something loose.

I have put battery on charge to make sure it is fully charged, just in case this is the issue.

Any advice appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 10:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

my guess is you have disturbed the negative connection on the bus bar, check that you haven't tightened the screw down on the insulation of the wire.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GillyNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 6:12am
GillyNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Smudge will check that tonight and see if it works.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GillyNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 7:12pm
GillyNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Didn't make any difference and have fully charged my battery to 12.8V.

I have checked the following and now thinking that I might have dislodged or damaged something as I removed the transducer.

I have ran the power to the bus bar at the helm with only that wire connected and everything works fine.

I have some trim tabs on a different circuit and they also work fine.

When I soley connect the motor to the battery and isolation swith, I read 12.8V at the switch terminal but when I turn to on position, I have no power to the motor or dials.

I am guessing I've lost an earth or blown a fuse.

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this and motor is 2 stroke saltwater series 115 and have checked the main 30amp fuse in the engine cowling.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A bit hard for me to follow off a description sorry. Are you sure you haven't mistakenly reversed the polarity to the motor?

One test you could do is to test the power to the start solenoid to ground. Then see what happens to the voltage when you try and start the motor.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:13pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The 12.8 at isolation switch you read. Where are you putting the earth lead of the meter? Same at the buzz bar. 
Where are you?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GillyNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:13pm
GillyNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Smudge, I'm pretty certain I haven't as simply removed a fish finder from the helm and the chased the transducer cable to the transom.

I've then routed the new transducer and didnt touch anything until I started to see what the issue could be.

I will need to find someway of manually lifting the motor and take it to a professional to have a look at, as its beyond me and guessing it will be something simple, damaged wire or earth somewhere.

Thanks for the reply and advice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GillyNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:25pm
GillyNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Krow, im just testing the positive and negative on the respective lugs on the back. I was wanting to make sure the cables from the battery to the switch where ok.

As for the bus bar testing the positive and common ground.

I don't think I have tried to read the voltage at the switch with it turned to on.

I'm down South in Dunedin and can't help but think I've pulled something when I've been messing with the wires.

Under the helm there is a bus bar for the positive and then all the negative are together on a screw and connected back to the battery via the negative cable.

I have tried not connecting the power to the helm and just focusing on the motor and I get nothing, so could it be issue with the switch or blown fuse?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 9:31pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you have run a new positive wire up from the battery and you read 12v up at the helm then the earth wire looks like it’s intact. looks to me like you have blown a fuse or pulled a connector apart, there will be either an inline fuse or a fuse box up behind the helm somewhere.

Start by tracing the positive wire up from the battery to the helm, best way to do this is to buy a 12 volt test light, the white plastic ones are good. Run a long earth wire back from the helm and clip the test light dog clip onto this.

The test light has a sharp pin sticking out of one end and you can poke this through the plastic cover of the wire and the test light should eliminate. Keep doing this as you trace the positive wire up to wards the helm and you should find the problem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GillyNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 6:59pm
GillyNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Managed to sort this and after removing the battery switch from the circuit everything is working, do came down to a dodgy isolation switch.

Thanks for the advice and assistance, so now as need new switch, going to look at installing a twin battery set up.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:15pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great to hear you sorted it. Clap