Moved to Rotorua

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moved to Rotorua
    Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:29pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just want to introduce myself to the "locals".
Moved from Auckland in February to Rotorua for work.
I have done surfcasting at Rogers Road and Kaituna cut. Did well but cant wait to get back on the Kayak.

I kayaked around the mussel farms in Kaiaua but keen to get out around Tauranga.
Keen most weekends if anyone else is keen. (And I'm sure there will be a few!)

Bring on summer!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doublenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 2:09pm
doublenda View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Bugger-me, kayak fish off Mount/Papamoa Beach myself, tomorrow [ Sunday] not looking good to launch, but when conditions improve will be keen for a fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 5:09pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have to learn all these spots I keep reading about. Hopefully the weather improves soon!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 3:39pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Roger's rd is good and anywhere down papamoa. You won't be alone at either on a nice fine day with no surf.
Use port of tauranga harbour conditions site for live wind and swell. You will get to know what size swell is doable for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 5:54pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Piwi. Last couple of times I have been out to Rogers road I thought I was on the west coast! Long way to travel for a hit and miss day. Might have to take the surfcaster as a back up.
But I will look at that port conditions page.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 6:07pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If I moved to Rotorua, I'd be chasing trout. They're edible when smoked!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:49am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

There's a Tauranga kayak fishing Facebook page too. Jump on that.
Roger's is always more dumpy than papamoa. I would probably only go there if Port of Tauranga site showed under .8m swell at A buoy.
There are days of .5m or less which are best.
Unfortunately the bopyakmen page here is no longer used much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doublenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 7:20pm
doublenda View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you can get to Leisure Island on the Mount beach for a 6.00 am launch tomorrow morning Buggar-me, your welcome to come along.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Be Reasonable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 8:57am
Be Reasonable View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Mate,
I am in Rotorua and am getting set up for kayak fishing, I have Viking Reload and a Profish 400.
Get in touch if you would like to team up for a session.
027 608 3089

Cheers