Lowrance HDS Carbon - Dual Chirp Transducer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GillyNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowrance HDS Carbon - Dual Chirp Transducer
    Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:59pm
GillyNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looking for some advice around the benefit of chirp as thinking of upgrading from the 3 in 1 transducer.

Generally fish in 30-50 metres but wanting something that could work as deep as 500m for hapuka and blue nose.

I have been looking at the airmar tm275lhw but wonder if this is too much for what I am fishing and if for the saving better of with a tm260, especially as more time spent closer than out deep.

If anyone running either of these or suggestion on other chirp transducer appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:33pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have the 3 in 1 and the TM260 on one boat and I have the TM265lh on another boat (same low frequency element as the TM275lhw).

The TM265lh is definitely better than the TM260, and the TM260 is definitely better than the 3 in 1.  I think the 3 in 1 is only 300w output or something for normal sounding so is not that grunty.  I only ever really use it for side scan.  

For 500m you would benefit from the TM265lh or TM275lhw over the TM260 for sure.  But they are about twice the cost, so really depends on how much time you spend out deep.  For snapper and kingis the TM260 goes mint, I easily mark sign on the bottom in 50m when doing 20 knots.  Its really transducer placement that helps with this.

With the TM265lh I usually have low chirp running on one screen and high chirp on the other giving me the best of both worlds.  The high chirp on the TM265lh has a very narrow beam which does make it good for penetrating deeper and giving better detail, the only downside is there is less coverage off the bottom and fish sign in say 50m, but when I have the low chirp running I get that anyway as that is a wide beam, so the best of both worlds really.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GillyNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 12:10am
GillyNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Riga and pretty much answered what I wanted to know as couldn't find the power of the 3 in 1. I'm really looking for hapuka or blue nose in the deep and the rest of my fishing is really for blue cod so looking for structure and reef. I just need to make a decision on price and difference it will make between the 260 or 265.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GillyNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:26pm
GillyNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Riga, I bought a TM260 as came down to price. It is a lowrance model but not blue plug and looks like it will fit the 9 pin structure connector and not the lowrance blue 7 pin. I was hoping to be able to connect both transducers with the 3 in 1 to structure and the tm260 to the blue, is there a connector I can buy or how do you run yours? Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 7:07am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You should be able to buy an adaptor. Something like this.
https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/type/accessories/sonar-transducers-accessories/9-to-7-pin-xd-adapter-for-airmar-xdcrs/

Just make sure the male and female pins are correct. Otherwise you can buy an adaptor box, cut the plug off and use that. I did this with a Airmar transducer for a garmin that I got cheap.