What's your post-trip boat wash down/maintenance?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 2:14pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting DIY.

I think the SaltAway recommendation is 1 minute of motor flushing (once the motor has warmed up) from the time it starts foaming. Obviously the mixture keeps diluting the longer you run water through the little drum of it.

Is your theory that the longer the better as far as flushing goes?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 8:54am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hot water and dish detergent works for me. Boat comes up like a new dime every time. I find just a squirt with the hose does not remove enough dried on blood, guts etc. Only use salt away about every 5 trips....Then go over outboard components, ram, hydro steering and galvanised parts on trailer... leaf springs etc with wd40. 
Not sure about other brands but Yamaha have a external hose connection so no flush muffs or starting required which is great as I live right next to a park.... and firing up a 150 out of water really scares the sh-t out of the kids playing on the swings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 10:52am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My Mercury has a hose connection, but I was advised by Mercury dealer to use flush muffs and run the engine after salt water use so I've always done that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 10:53am
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi TK, I think I either read it in the manual or someone told me that it needs to run for 15 or so minutes to warm up and open up the stat.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 11:36am
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a late model etec. The manual says to flush with the flush point without the motor running.

This was the recommendation from my outboard mechanic also.

Pretty sure this is etec specific instructions.

I just run fresh water through the flush port for about 10 mins. Really easy

Every so often I will flush with salt a way with the hose adapter.

I’m really disappointed that BRP stopped making these outboards they have so much cool tech that just works really well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 2:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Crochet Cast Crochet Cast wrote:

I’m really disappointed that BRP stopped making these outboards they have so much cool tech that just works really well.
Yes
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 4:23pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep it does seem really bloody strange that BRP would invest  hundreds of millions developing an engine... only just to shut the whole operation down. Never owned one, and yes there has been plenty written regarding reliability etc but CC is dead right they seem to be light years ahead of the competition when it comes to development. 
The built in steering system on the G2 was a great example of it. Everyone else is/was just playing catch-up.
Although I did hear a yarn that Matt Watson did limp home with his whole Etec held on with ratchet tie downs after the wizz-bang  built in steering system sh-t itself. Probably bollocks... who knows...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 7:50pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think there was a couple more things going against Evinrude none of them due to a poor product

1. The whole anti 2 stroke pro 4 stroke marketing. We still see this to this day despite the DI 2 stroke technology being both as fuel efficient and has as if not lower emissions.

2. Related to point 1 Yamaha and Mercury had/have a massive market share which just seems unassailable. They just couldn’t sell enough units to pay for the ongoing R&D costs.

3. The first direct injection Evinrude were a disaster with the motors from the late 90’s to early 2000’s doing real damage to Evinrudes reputation from which they never really recovered.

4. Probably finally and just speculation on my part a bunch of BRP execs brainstorming what power boat propulsion would look like in 20 years decided that petrol outboard would be obsolete.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 11:04pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some great responses and thoughts.

For me fresh water, followed by soapy wash on hull and interior, then washed off with fresh water.

Full trailer, and under back of ute with fresh water then salt away. Including hoses inside trailer frames.

Run motor for 7 - 10 min with fresh water. Bring it up to temp which clears salt build up. Then 15 - 30 seconds of salt away. The more the salt away dilutes, the less effective it is.

FC ran a maintenance course one evening in Hn and I found it great value.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 10:03am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like the tip about the bucket of hot water to start with, wash all around fittings and anywhere salt builds up.
Page  <12