Any help with trying to prepare a trip??

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 11:30am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Pedrotms Pedrotms wrote:

I do agree with you man. Maybe I'll do just that. Mixing things up adds the "extra" uncertainty on chances of getting the fish, but honestly, being a crazy LBG lure angler, forever casting for elusive fish with high chances of not catching anything is already part of the deal...but man that one strike on the surface is all the counts!

If lure hunting, don't forget to cheat while you are here.  Using Berley (chumming) will increase your chances enourmously.   It is not the smell of the burley that attracts the kingi's but the commotion of million+ bait fish in a feeding frenzy.   By casting up and down the coastline and around the berley area I would be very suprised if you don't hook up.  Without berley it is just a slom chance that A) you come across a fish & B) that Kingi is currently in an eating mood. The commotion of the bait fish around the berley turns the Kingi "on" and they won't hesitate to take a lure.

A bit like the old trick when a Kingi is around but ignoring the lures / live bait,  throw rocks in the water near it and it will get excited and start to eat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 2:43pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

“A bit like the old trick when a Kingi is around but ignoring the lures / live bait, throw rocks in the water near it and it will get excited and start to eat”
Great tip 👍🏼
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 8:23am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'll do my best, with or without burley, that is for sure Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 8:32am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Guys, thanks for all the help so far, but I'll keep some questions coming if you don't mind.

I've been reading quite a lot about private land and public land in NZ, and it is not so clear to me how one finds out if it is trespassing private land or not, or if I can go through some land without annoying the owners and incurring into legal issues.
The last thing I want to do is get into unnecessary trouble and annoy the landowners, it's not their fault that an uninformed "alien" fisherman like me goesthrough their property.
Is there a way to figure out if I can go through a particular path or follow a particular road, or if I can't?? Or to figure out in advance where is the public and private land?
Like, the road through Coromandel to reach Port Jackson and go further to Fletchers Bay, I can see it on many maps, but is it public or part of it is private?
This sort of stuff worries me, especially if I'm to go to the Far North and wander around.

On a different note, can you guys point me to, or recommend to me, good fishing stores in Coromandel/Auckland, and in the Far North? I always like to visit local stores and talk with the people there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 8:48am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You shouldn't have much problem as most public / private land is fairly obvious.  Department of Conservation (DOC) and council reserves are all OK as well as the coastline if you can get round it without climbing over fences etc.   There is the odd exception that might catch you out like the large hill beside Spirits Bay camping ground in the Far North.  Around the rocks is fine (and great fishing for Kingi's) but don't climb the hill.

Here is a website that should help as it shows all NZ public outdoor access:
https://maps.walkingaccess.govt.nz/OurMaps/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 9:43am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Shilo Shilo wrote:

You shouldn't have much problem as most public / private land is fairly obvious.  Department of Conservation (DOC) and council reserves are all OK as well as the coastline if you can get round it without climbing over fences etc.   There is the odd exception that might catch you out like the large hill beside Spirits Bay camping ground in the Far North.  Around the rocks is fine (and great fishing for Kingi's) but don't climb the hill.

Here is a website that should help as it shows all NZ public outdoor access:
https://maps.walkingaccess.govt.nz/OurMaps/

Thanks Shilo, much appreciated!!!! ;)
Here in Portugal nothing is really that obvious, and there are some rules that actually allow you to go through some private land in some particular conditions to reach water fronts and so on...but without knowing that, one can get easily into trouble.
That's why I was asking.
Thanks again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 8:57am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Hey Pedro

Like others, I'd recommend Feb, or even March, for your trip here.

I'd be looking to spend a bit of time in 2-3 key locations/areas that give you a number of fishing options.   So coro for a week, far north, mid north etc. That gives you a bit of time to try different spots, tides, etc and allows for when the weather doesn't play ball.

Presume you will hire a vehicle or something for your time here? That will be key.

I am usually based in Coro most of Dec-Feb so happy to catch up for a fish and hit some of the lessor well known spots in that area. 

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 1:46am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Hey Pedro

Like others, I'd recommend Feb, or even March, for your trip here.

I'd be looking to spend a bit of time in 2-3 key locations/areas that give you a number of fishing options.   So coro for a week, far north, mid north etc. That gives you a bit of time to try different spots, tides, etc and allows for when the weather doesn't play ball.

Presume you will hire a vehicle or something for your time here? That will be key.

I am usually based in Coro most of Dec-Feb so happy to catch up for a fish and hit some of the lessor well known spots in that area. 

Thanks so much for the reply JK!
Yeah, the plan is to go mid February until beginning of January.
I think I have already more or less a basic idea of the Far North and Coro, at least about places to try and go and where to stay. Now like you mention, I need to look into spots in the Mid North! That part is a bit "greyer" for me. But I still have some time to figure it out.
The car will be a must for the whole trip, guaranteed!
Lastly, I would really appreciate a chance to meet up and go fishing, as well as to offer a beer or so for the help!
Thanks again.
Best,
Pedro Tomás
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 1:37am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi once again guys.
Thank you all so far for all the help, it really seems that this trip is going to happen!! Stoked about that!!

So my main plan is to stay some time in Coro and in the Far North...but aside from that, I need to have more or less a "contingency plan" in the "Mid-North" area.
Can anyone help me out with some general directions between Whangarei Heads and Mangonui or even Karikari peninsula?

Also, around the North Cape, are most of those ravines unfishable or there are some spots that can be accessed? Would it be worth spending some time there finding the ways to those spots?

Best,
Pedro Tomás
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 10:26pm
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hell yeahhhhhh this is hapenning!!!!!!!
Got my flights, got the car, all the fishing gear, and the will to explore Big smile
Until the time comes, much more planning will be necessary, but for sure, no matter the outcome, it will be one amazing trip! ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 7:56am
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There's an app called Rankers, that lists all of the camping areas in NZ (paid, free and Department of conservation). It shows them on a live map with gps, has comments and photos next to each one too, and links to phone numbers and Google maps directions.. Having travelled to the cape and the coromandel, I can tell you you won't find many freedom camping spots that allow tents (mobile homes / vans only). There are some DoC sites - more so along the coast to the cape than coro, but look on Rankers. I use it all the time. And it's free.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 12:51pm
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

There's an app called Rankers, that lists all of the camping areas in NZ (paid, free and Department of conservation). It shows them on a live map with gps, has comments and photos next to each one too, and links to phone numbers and Google maps directions.. Having travelled to the cape and the coromandel, I can tell you you won't find many freedom camping spots that allow tents (mobile homes / vans only). There are some DoC sites - more so along the coast to the cape than coro, but look on Rankers. I use it all the time. And it's free.
Man thanks for the tip!!!
I'll look into it properly, for sure it will be a big help!!
Thanks again.
Best from Portugal,
Pedro
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 2:58am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello to everyone from Portugal!!
First of all, it's been a while since I actually came here...but I wanted to say that I managed to go to NZ and fish!
The trip happened, and it was a massive success. New Zealand waters were kind to me, and I caught plenty of good fish.
Couldn't be more stocked with it.
I met great people, visited amazing spots, and caught awesome fish. What a trip it was.
I would like to thank JK for all the help that he provided me.

To JK: Dude, in 2025 hopefully we'll go for a proper fishing session! Let's make it happen ;)

To everyone else that helped with tips and advice, thank you so much, thanks to all the help given I managed to put together a cool trip, go all the way from the literal other side of the world (Portugal) to NZ to fish.

I would like to post a pic, but for some reason I can't seem to upload any...it always says "upload successful" and then says cancelled/forbidden on the pic...

Cheers from Portugal to all of you.
Pedro
Page  <12