Marlin lure lengths

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockyWannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin lure lengths
    Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 11:55am
RockyWannabe View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi team

Going to get into the Game this season and hope target Stripeys. My question is what trace length from swivel to lure is recommended? I don't know why but I just can't seem to find any answers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 12:26pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check out pakula between the lines, you will find what you need plus a lot more.

Have you considered stopping now before you get hooked. .
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 1:36pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RockyWannabe RockyWannabe wrote:

Hi team

Going to get into the Game this season and hope target Stripeys. My question is what trace length from swivel to lure is recommended? I don't know why but I just can't seem to find any answers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I run approx 2 -2.5m trace length plus windon. Rather than having to trace a fish with a longer trace and having to be careful where you put the trace.
I find when the swivel is at the rod tip the fish is pretty much within gaff range and even if you have to grab the trace you may only have to pull a meter to get your gaff shot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockyWannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 4:45pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks, yknot. I will check Pakula out! And no, I will not be turning back! Thanks for your advice.

Clay
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockyWannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 4:47pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Tzer

I was having the same thought. 2.5m seems like a manageable length.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 5:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I weigh a few gamefish every year but I'm really not a gamefisher myself. I see a lot more short leaders nowadays for those that use  swivels. Personally the thought of that big tail whacking my mainline would worry me so I would want 3m, just in case I ever hook up on something decent, which is unlikely Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 5:47pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I weigh a few gamefish every year but I'm really not a gamefisher myself. I see a lot more short leaders nowadays for those that use  swivels. Personally the thought of that big tail whacking my mainline would worry me so I would want 3m, just in case I ever hook up on something decent, which is unlikely Big smile

Smudge if your running full length windons theres no need for long lure trace as windon act as extra length to trace, running a double line is different story
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 12:34pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Read up on the IGFA rules:-
The double line on all classes of tackle over 20 lb (10 kg) shall be
limited to 30 feet (9.14 meters). The combined length of the double line
and leader shall not exceed 40 feet (12.19 meters).

I use a 300lb braid wind-on leader plus a 300lb bite leader.
The bite leader from the swivel on the leader at the crimped loop to bend of rearmost hook is my arm span (about 1.7 m). As I make all the rigs, the arm span stays the same and therefore don't need to measure - a few centimetres longer won't make any difference. Other angler's bite leaders might be a bit longer but as long as the total allowed length is legal. 1.7M works for us.

The total from mainline double to hook bend is less than the max of 12 (to avoid stretch).

Just to simplify (or confuse!), I also run hollow braid as my mainline using a reverse-latch needle to make a spliced loop instead of a double. The spliced loop has the line inserted inside itself and that makes a hidden double. The braid wind-on had spliced loops at either end making a very smooth transition through the guides and the braid leader is easy to trace without taking wraps using cheap gloves from Bunnings (Showa Extra Grip).
Having looped main and wind-on makes for a very strong, crimp-free set-up with only the bite leader having crimps. I have made braid bite leaders too (swivel - braid then loop through hook's eye) and ran it ok but it might be a step too far. 
Hope you can make sense of all of this.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 8:14pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was looking forward to chiming in here. But really you have all answers you need above from Tzer, FishB8 and Smudge,  short is fine. Most of damage too trace seldom more than a foot up. If planning to tail wrap a few you might want to go bit longer but no more than few meters especially if have wind on as well. If use a windon (generally 150 to 200 lb) can run a short meter and half  bite leader.
 If looking at catching big blue on 80wides 37 kg mainline, we run 300 to 400 wind ons with silmilar trace. That is different though to your stripeys. Could still take nice blue on 300lb windon and similar trace comfortably. And  also with a 200 lb wind on and 300 lb trace more than probably… and they are caught on lighter.
 Strong knots and connections are most important plus line capacity.
Having said that I’m old slow, like to take my time to clear other rods out and put gimbal on and often fish solo. Have caught marlin on 400 meters of finer diameter 24 kg on a TLD 25. That one was no problem, one we got this year would have spooled that.