Transducer Port Side

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unlucky_One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transducer Port Side
    Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 10:52am
Unlucky_One View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Howdy, just wondering what everyones thoughts/experience is with mount a transducer Port Side.

I've got a Surtees 575 looking up upgrading the Garmin transducer, from the factory they have ran it through the hull, looks like they have drilled a hole just big enough for the cable through a bung and siliconed it all up, so I cant just undo the bung and get the cable through.

Been under the water line I'm little hesitant to muck around with it, other option is to buy a stand alone fishfinder unit like the Furuno fcv 588 and maybe run that transducer on the port side.

I understand why they're usually run on the starboard side but still see them on port side especially when there a side scan transducer and a 1kw on the same boat, wondering if it's more of the myth these days.

Would like to hear anyone's experiences with this.

Cheers 🤙

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 2:46pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought most are on the Starboard side. Mine are. So why "I understand why they're usually run on the port side"? Just wondering. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unlucky_One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 3:22pm
Unlucky_One View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Correct, meant to say installing them on the port side, with the supposed disturbance from the prop rotation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 4:12pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Unlucky_One Unlucky_One wrote:

Correct, meant to say installing them on the port side, with the supposed disturbance from the prop rotation
Have a garmin 550c?? transducer is transon hung ,below the waterline on the port side with no interference and the starboard side has the paddle speed wheel,since we put the paddle wheel on now get a rooster tail coming up the transom,have adjusted trim but makes no difference.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 4:26pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

stbd side appears to be the defualt choice because of - as you mention - the rotation of the prop - but it seems hard to believe that it actually has an effect...
No disintegrations!