What are your three best fishing tips?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 3:23pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

1. Camera angle is important!  Hold that pathetic pannie that you accidentally jagged out as far as possible to make it look like you've finally- after all the big game talk- can catch a fish.

2.Achor in tight bunches. Nothing beats a feeling of a  passing fellow fisherman dropping a huge U-turn after they have spotted your bent rod and basically dropping his anchor through your boat as he wants to get as close as possible to the fish under your boat. 

3.Get sh-t faced drunk while on a big mission! Yes all boat skippers love a crew member who just goes out and gets completely fu-ked up out at sea. Better still having them turning up late and/or hungover then chundering everywhere is even better. Especially when its been a trip.... say to the Mokes that's  costs a fortune in gas, bait etc and been planned for weeks.

These are my 3 favs. Do these things every time you go out and you'll defiantly be a kiwi fishing Legion.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 3:26pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

1. Camera angle is important!  Hold that pathetic pannie that you accidentally jagged out as far as possible to make it look like you've finally- after all the big game talk- can catch a fish.

2. Achor in tight bunches. Nothing beats a feeling of a  passing fellow fisherman dropping a huge U-turn after they have spotted your bent rod and basically dropping his anchor through your boat as he wants to get as close as possible to the fish under your boat. 

3. Get sh-t faced drunk while on a big mission! Yes all boat skippers love a crew member who just goes out and gets completely fu-ked up out at sea. Better still having them turning up late and/or hungover then chundering everywhere is even better. Especially when its been a trip.... say to the Mokes that's  costs a fortune in gas, bait etc and been planned for weeks.

These are my 3 favs. Do these things every time you go out and you'll defiantly be a kiwi fishing Legion.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 6:28pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

2. Achor in tight bunches. Nothing beats a feeling of a  passing fellow fisherman dropping a huge U-turn after they have spotted your bent rod and basically dropping his anchor through your boat as he wants to get as close as possible to the fish under your boat. 

3. Get sh-t faced drunk while on a big mission! Yes all boat skippers love a crew member who just goes out and gets completely fu-ked up out at sea. Better still having them turning up late and/or hungover then chundering everywhere is even better. Especially when its been a trip.... say to the Mokes that's  costs a fortune in gas, bait etc and been planned for weeks.

Classic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 7:35pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They walk among us
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 7:55pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Become a student of fishing.
Never stop trying new things.
Respect your catch.

Fantastic advice - pretty much my philosophy, and along with Kandrew's tips re fishing where the fish are, and buying the best gear you can afford (buying cheap is false economy in the long run) would be my key advice. 

I was brought up bait fishing in the late '70s-80s, with standard old school fibreglass rods, mono line and rigs.
I realised later there was so much I could learn to improve and catch more and bigger fish, so took a research/study approach to learning from experts - started out with magazine articles and books, and nowadays social media, YouTube and yes, this forum. What the likes of Snappa Geoff and others pass on is so wise and is gold for a newbie.

I have several folders of notes and clipped articles, and regularly refer to them. Places, methods, gear...
It accelerated my learning of softbaiting and other lure fishing exponentially. 

And respect for the catch is so important as our country's population explodes. Releasing correctly has its place, as has taking a feed of fish that is superb if looked after properly. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 8:35pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Become a student of fishing.
Never stop trying new things.
Respect your catch.

Fantastic advice - pretty much my philosophy, and along with Kandrew's tips re fishing where the fish are, and buying the best gear you can afford (buying cheap is false economy in the long run) would be my key advice. 

I was brought up bait fishing in the late '70s-80s, with standard old school fibreglass rods, mono line and rigs.
I realised later there was so much I could learn to improve and catch more and bigger fish, so took a research/study approach to learning from experts - started out with magazine articles and books, and nowadays social media, YouTube and yes, this forum. What the likes of Snappa Geoff and others pass on is so wise and is gold for a newbie.

I have several folders of notes and clipped articles, and regularly refer to them. Places, methods, gear...
It accelerated my learning of softbaiting and other lure fishing exponentially. 

And respect for the catch is so important as our country's population explodes. Releasing correctly has its place, as has taking a feed of fish that is superb if looked after properly. 

Nice post Lester, I believe in using the latest innovations as well, carbon rods, braid, chemically sharpened hooks were all new stuff years ago. But now there mainstream and have changed the way many of us fish and increased our catch rates. I’ve got mates new to fishing who have never bait fished, started by using sliders and micro jigs and now catch some nice fish and are really good fisherman.
Page  <12