Swellmap - new version's accuracy

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 10:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Think the orginal post was about nthe swell map / maps rather than the ratings and just data info.
The latter , ratings and graphed data have to totally agree with comments above.
Ad to the old maps, espec when reduced the size of tiles a while back...excellent.
 The new upgrade to the maps...
Being dong my best to get used to it...
 Nah.... now far too general.. like the ratings.

Looks like weatherwatch have also upgraded their maps page.... But still have the old tiles maps towards the bottom of the page.

Regist at oceanmet use the more detailed maps there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 11:08am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Gave up on SwellMap a while ago. Moved to Windy, now PredictWind.

Hi MB, I presume you're subscribing - which service did you go with? I see there is a 'basic' and then quite a step up in the US$ cost to the next level.

If you are talking about Predictwind, then you only need the basic subscription.  I had the full subscription a few years ago, long story but got it for free, and it's more for sailing.  It will plot routes for you based on catching the best winds, really clever stuff -but completely irrelevant for what we want. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 12:06pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use the PredictWind free app, the tables are good and I also use the coastguard app when I’m with in 3 days. The coastguard now casting map on their app is really good for on the day.

I also use this site but mainly for fishing info, tides, moon but it also has basic weather info.

https://tides4fishing.com/nz/auckland/stanmore-bay#_weather
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 4:05pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Swell map Surf page has now changed to new format too. Bummer.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 5:41pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Grumph.  Another day struggling with the new site.  I would think they could just have a small link somewhere to say "go to old version" - the data is the same, but the front end is (a) better and (b) familiar and (c) better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 9:40am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Gave up on SwellMap a while ago. Moved to Windy, now PredictWind.

Hi MB, I presume you're subscribing - which service did you go with? I see there is a 'basic' and then quite a step up in the US$ cost to the next level.

If you are talking about Predictwind, then you only need the basic subscription.  I had the full subscription a few years ago, long story but got it for free, and it's more for sailing.  It will plot routes for you based on catching the best winds, really clever stuff -but completely irrelevant for what we want. 

Just saw this, thanks very much for the info Kevin, much appreciated.

i think the worst thing about the new set up (when opening on a PC) is the lack of horizontal lines on the graph to readily indicate any scale between 0 and 20 knots. So you have to click on a certain time to see what the wind speed etc is.

The banks (Kiwibank being the latest, ASB less than a year ago) are always updating their websites, usually not for the better and it makes me wonder if everyone's forgotten the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mantra. There must be a few marketing/brand departments trying to justify their existence...and website designers laughing on the way to the bank.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 10:08am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and it makes me wonder if everyone's forgotten the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mantra. There must be a few marketing/brand departments trying to justify their existence...and website designers laughing on the way to the bank.

Been in, retired now, IT for over 25yrs, pre internet..
 Yep you nailed it. From very early on when IT ppl where 'educated' in IT/programing, rather than 'picked it up' before that, they where never tought to look at the 'product' from the end users view.
 This then lead programs, apps and network configurations etc being a display of "look what I can do, Im so clever..."
And yes  justifying their existence with new show off stuff is a huge part of it.. then throw in the huge unjustifiable costs and BS behind it all.

As you point out, and explain why, this is a great example...
They could have at least kept the old tiles maps...then from server logs keep a record of what gets used the most over the next few months...which is what sensible web masters do.. like weather watch (link above)
But that would be too hard to think about, and/or if turns out the old maps where the favorite.. egg on the face on the new programmers/marketers right?

Next thing.. does anyone actually email and complain?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 11:02am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't feel justified in complaining about a free product. I think they will see their usage drop over time if they've made a change for the worse. If paid for software, usually an app is very useful to me, I occasionally email the developer with suggestions. With websites, there's almost always an alternative.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 12:26pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How do I find tomorrows forecast on this NEW IMPROVED Wacko yeah right version ?

Currently on the swellmap it tells me at Deep Trench off the Canty coast it is a "7"

Boat forecasts for New Zealand - SwellMap, You click on 33 inside the box then click on #5 and it comes up with a 7

I then click on the graphs and I get this...

That tells me its a "1"  or have got it all wrong...

Hey swellmap people .... THIS IS a F up  and REALLY DOING MY HEAD IN

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 3:19pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just driven home North Shore.  Looks pretty flat out there, doesn't seem much wind.  "Windsurf.co.nz" has 3 to 4 knot easterlies, 2 knot if you want to go to Orewa.  Swellcrap has it at 1/10, 15 knot NE gusting 20.  Lol.

What a joke

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 5:54am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just use Predictwind until they get it right. It works. Why worry about stuff you can't control.
Page  <12