How to tie up to mussel farm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CarlosTheBeekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to tie up to mussel farm
    Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:09pm
CarlosTheBeekeeper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey guys I need some advice on how to tie up to the mussel farms. I went out for the first time today and I struggled to hook up and not go over and bump into the bouys. I was on my Jetski and the wind and current had me going over the lines. 

on some rows I couldn't find the backbone rope that iv been told to hook to. does it sit under the water surface or does it sit on top? All help or advice would be much appreciated.

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

When I used to fish the mussel farms we would put a line from one backbone and another one to the next row to hold us in the middle of two rows. 20 years ago now and I don't know how much traffic is around now but I always had visions of someone running over the lines. Most times though we used to just tie up to one of the end buoys.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 4:13am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The backbone is the rope running between the bouys,on or under the surface depending on mussel weights or if farm just harvested.
Many use a hook that s a loose fit over the rope,we use the same as smudge to hold us in the middle of the rows.

Trick is to figure out which is stronger,the current or the wind if using a single rope to hold off from the bouys.

If your away from the harvester burley maybe reguired. Found when we have no burley no fish 
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 8:17am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The mussel buoys have holes in the end of them this is where attach the mussel buoy hook. You can make your own hook or check trademe, the Tapu store has them sometimes.

I use 2 hooks one on each side of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CarlosTheBeekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 10:49am
CarlosTheBeekeeper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks guys, I might try to hook onto the buoy its self like Kandrew said. ill let you guys know how it goes. I also think it'll be worth investing into getting an another hook for when it gets a bit rough, so I can tie off to two buoys and keep myself in the middle.

thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it. The Waikawau boat ramp is basically at my back door so ill be heading out a lot more.