Anyone tried Daiwa Crosscast reels?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone tried Daiwa Crosscast reels?
    Posted: 08 May 2022 at 2:56pm
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Curious to hear anyone's experience with the crosscast.

https://www.daiwa.co.nz/products/20-crosscast-45-spin-reels-1

Been eyeballing it cause I like the shallow spool design and the other features sound interesting.

Seems quite unique compared to other reels in NZ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 9:49pm
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I got one about 4 months ago because I had brought another surf caster which has a modern / slim blank (similar to a Shimano Surf Leader) and the Okuma Surf 8K I already had felt unbalanced with it.  

Being a 5000 series the Crosscut doesn't take as much line as the 8K (which of course is a 8000) but it is still more then enough for surfcasting.  It has a very smooth operation despite the tall spool and the drag is also good.  Feels very balanced with the new rod.  Casting distance between the 2 is the same as this is as much personal technique then equipment.  Both reels have the long cast spool and very similar features apart from the spool size.

Only con would be that it doesn't have the 8K's "Fast Drag" which allows a couple of turns of the drag knob to go from loose to full drag, the Crosscut is like a normal reel and takes 6-8 turns. 

Wouldn't hesitate getting another Crosscut and would probably get one over the 8K again simply because it doesn't feel as bulky.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 11:09am
Bronze
Bronze

Nice writeup thanks. Good point I hadn't considered the size/bulk of it. Spend too long looking at pictures and never get a sense how big it is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 5:56pm
Bronze
Bronze

Are the crosscast discontinued or something? I can't find any in NZ except the huge 45 one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 6:11pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ring Phil @ Tackle Tactics dude- he will can help out and will be honest as well 
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 7:37pm
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by mejobloggs mejobloggs wrote:

Are the crosscast discontinued or something? I can't find any in NZ except the huge 45 one

The 45 is the smallest one.  The 6000 is the larger one.  Their numbering is a bit confusing but the 45 is 4500, as a comparison a small light tackle spinning reei is classed as 2500-4000.  Most surfcasting reels range from 4000 to 8000.

I got my 45 from Marine Deals: 
https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/spinning-reels/daiwa-20-crosscast-45-spinning-surf-reel

Pic of it below on my rod so you can see the size:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:08am
Bronze
Bronze

I was watching a review video and they said the 45 referred to the mm height of the spool.
The standard was 35mm and then there's the extra tall 45mm.

I'll see if I can find a shop near me that has it and go take a look.

Edit: Stroke, not spool. But maybe that's kinda the same of stroke is referring to the vertical travel of the line wrap mechanism
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:50am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes the stroke ( how far the spool moves up and down to lay the line ) is very long with this reel.  The reel itself is not large.  

Pic below of the spool at the top of its stroke: