New Shed - what height??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Shed - what height??
    Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 5:24pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking at putting up a new 2 bay mono-pitch shed and wishing to future-proof for resale value. What would would be the typical height of an 8m hardtop when it's on the trailer?? I'd like to try and accommodate most makes......and trying to decide how high the roller door needs to be!! Aiming for a depth of 10m. It would be a bugger if I'm 20cm too low Thumbs Down 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 5:33pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I measured the on trailer height of my similar sized hardtop cat and as I recall the clearance required was around 3.3 - 3.4m.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 5:45pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A mate has a 8.5m Allenco, it's frikken huge! his boat is 3.4m high
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 6:07pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Generally, get bigger rather than smaller.So work it out, add some spare, add a safety margin and then a bit more.  Thats what I suggest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 6:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Oopps my  mate just said 3.4m without the radar. Lucky for some! Add200mm at my best guess
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 6:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You should think outside the square since you are going beyond the usual. I built a shed about 10 yrs ago. I built it high enough for a roller door to accommodate my camper van. It may not be a hardtop guy you sell to - maybe they have a camper. Then since I had some height, I added a hoist...oh and a mezannine floor. Making use of the extra height.
The whole setup works brilliantly - and if you are thinking of resale, has enough height to accommodate most every requirement.
I can get those measurements in a few days if interested - at beach right now - maybe weather window tomorrow onwards.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Ho Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 6:37pm
Ho Dee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have recently built a shed and put a 4mtr high x 4mtr wide roller door in and have found the Xtra wdith great having plenty of clearance when backing in. You could say it's a bit of an over kill but just about anything will fit in the shed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 7:31pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

My mate just got back to me. His 8.5m boat is 3.4m but with his radar he says add at least 350mm. 4m sounds like the go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 7:01am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Definitely consider campervans. Properties that can store a campervan fetch a premium around home. My 7.2m needs 3.2m clearance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 8:06am
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great feedback on the campervan height........never considered that!! Duh!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 9:53am
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Also remember with a mono pitch you loose height as you go further into the shed ..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 11:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

M8 and I built this as a versatile pole  kitset back in 2013.. 3.6 X 3.6m  doors, 3.
Yep boat just fits in the 3.6m wide.. but only being 7m D X 12m not deep enough for the boat to be stored with roller doors down
I built it as workshop for building/resto and store classic cars, and sleep out on the end for one of the children as the other shed got full.
It was not built for the boat as having the extra depth did not allow or easy turning area in and out , and even with it , was a 5 point turn IF hit the markers right to park the boat there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 6:42pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don't forget you need to allow extra stud height over and above your opening height to allow for the rolled up door.
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 7:35pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are there any height to boundary issues.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 2:46pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So my roller door is 3.2mhigh (clearance) - and has a box above that for the rolled door (about 600mm).
It JUST fitted my camper in.
So if you worked on clearance of around 3.4-3.5 for most campers/boats you would be good.
That would take you to around 4m or slightly more - depending on door fitment etc for height. 
Originally they fitted a tilt door to my garage. No good - lost about 150mm with the tilted door.
If you go to 4m height, you also have enough height for a hoist. Mine comes in at around 3.8m.
You obviously don't have to fit a hoist - but they are not expensive these days. For someone keen on one, that would be a big plus. Most sheds are not designed with that in mind and are too hard to retro fit. So building in the capability to fit one would be a big plus for resale. And at that height you can accommodate most boats and campers. 
Alan
Legasea Legend member